Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 minutes ago, antovolk said:

If Top Gun wasn't filmed in IMAX then WW84 or Tenet moving and most likely kicking out Top Gun would work.

I'd bet that Jenkins and WB won't be happy to share IMAX screens with Top Gun after the effort to shoot on the format (which is the key here) and likewise for Cruise/Kosinski and Paramount (IMAX even created a whole new camera certification program for them). You're basing your argument on the assumption that two IMAX filmed releases can share IMAX screens, when they've made a point of making sure IMAX filmed stuff gets a clear run specifically for the filmmakers relationships.

@antovolk Top Gun 2 was NOT filmed in IMAX. It was filmed using a high resolution camera which is IMAX quality

https://www.slashfilm.com/top-gun-maverick-featurette/

Check out this new featurette which shows off some of the actors’ training, and gives us a look at a new camera system that manages to fit six IMAX-quality cameras inside the cockpit.

I have no idea what the discussion even is anymore. Not filming using IMAX cameras makes Top Gun 2 not have any exclusive rights.

It is a 1:90:1 camera but its not an IMAX camera.

If push comes to shove, the actual "filmed using IMAX cameras" movie will win in this case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@antovolk Top Gun 2 was NOT filmed in IMAX. It was filmed using a high resolution camera which is IMAX quality

https://www.slashfilm.com/top-gun-maverick-featurette/

I have no idea what the discussion even is anymore. Not filming using IMAX cameras makes Top Gun 2 not have any exclusive rights.

IMAX announced a certification program for select digital cameras and films using IMAX tech for post production - that they can get a 'filmed in IMAX' tag on marketing and requisite screen space etc.

In IMAX's marketing and latest earnings calls, Top Gun is a title on the level of Bond, Tenet and WW. They're literally saying they have '5 films shot on IMAX'.

3 minutes ago, antovolk said:

IMAX announced a certification program for select digital cameras and films using IMAX tech for post production - that they can get a 'filmed in IMAX' tag on marketing and requisite screen space etc.

In IMAX's marketing and latest earnings calls, Top Gun is a title on the level of Bond, Tenet and WW. They're literally saying they have '5 films shot on IMAX'.

Sure, but when it comes down to it, they will go with the ones actually filmed in their camera. The "title on the level of Bond and WW" was when they weren't releasing on the same date.

Your entire argument here and on Twitter starts with "Top Gun will be exclusive" and then bending everything else to try and support that rather than even acknowledging that maybe IMAX will be open to screen sharing OR actual filming on IMAX might take precedence. If/when WW84 takes that release date, it will be clear (Tenet isn't taking that date, that is almost guaranteed)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Would Nolan accept an October release date? I imagine he'd have a say in which dates he'd prefer for Tenet. 

Interstellar opened in November but that was because it was positioned to be a major Oscar player. They'll decide on which date they think it has the strongest chance of succeeding unless a miracle happens and life returns to normal by July.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Interstellar opened in November but that was because it was positioned to be a major Oscar player

Interstellar was always scheduled to open in November 2014

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Interstellar was always scheduled to open in November 2014

Yes, which is the awards season corridor (which is always from the early September festivals through the end of year). If they think Tenet stands as good or better of a chance at succeeding during that time of year as it would in July (especially since the summer box office sweepstakes is looking lost at this point), they'll do it if they need to.

41 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Would Nolan accept an October release date? I imagine he'd have a say in which dates he'd prefer for Tenet. 

I doubt he'll object to October. At most, Stankey will probably call up Papa Nolan and explain why it should get the Joker slot, and why it could turn out well for this movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Sure, but when it comes down to it, they will go with the ones actually filmed in their camera. The "title on the level of Bond and WW" was when they weren't releasing on the same date.

Your entire argument here and on Twitter starts with "Top Gun will be exclusive" and then bending everything else to try and support that rather than even acknowledging that maybe IMAX will be open to screen sharing OR actual filming on IMAX might take precedence. If/when WW84 takes that release date, it will be clear (Tenet isn't taking that date, that is almost guaranteed)

Sure, let's see what happens. But it's important to bear in mind that IMAX is almost certainly involved in these dating discussions at the moment. If WW or Tenet muscle in on December then it's almost definitely a case of something being agreed between IMAX, WB and Paramount, be it screen sharing, Top Gun giving the screens up or whatnot. Likewise Top Gun moving now to December was probably done with IMAX's blessing for sure.

Edited by antovolk

22 minutes ago, excel1 said:

HOLD THE DATE!

Something has to be the first big blockbuster to open up after cover. 

nobody wants to be first in this situation. i assume it'll actually be quiet place 2 w/ its sept 4th release date which works best as a "canary in the coal mine" type movie because it was tracking really well before the cinemas closed and has a much lower budget than other tentpoles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, antovolk said:

Since Top Gun was filmed in IMAX it automatically takes priority over anything else. This exact situation happened with Valerian and Dunkirk in July 2017. Valerian lost the screens as soon as Nolan announced that date. Besson even complained about that on the press circuit

I doubt a valerian contract can be compared to WB's for Dune. I am sure big studio contracts are sacrosanct and so a WB movie should get Imax for holiday release. 

Plus Top Gun is gonna disappoint big time. 1st move is mediocre point in time movie and I dont see that success being replicated. Plus Cruise has not had a non MI success for EONs. I doubt Top Gun gonna change that. 

On 4/2/2020 at 3:26 PM, CoolioD1 said:

nobody wants to be first in this situation. i assume it'll actually be quiet place 2 w/ its sept 4th release date which works best as a "canary in the coal mine" type movie because it was tracking really well before the cinemas closed and has a much lower budget than other tentpoles.

Something will go POTTER 1 / spider-man in 2001/2002. Something will blow up as a result of the current suppression. 

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I thought it was tracking for an OW below the first film's.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/a-quiet-place-part-ii-to-scare-up-60m-opening-early-box-office-forecast-1202869747/

John Krasinski’s A Quiet Place Part II, the sequel to his surprise 2018 Paramount-Platinum Dunes $341 million global-grossing genre hit A Quiet Place, arrived on tracking Thursday morning with a projected opening of $60M. The sequel hits theaters March 20, and is on track to beat the first film’s $50.2M domestic opening.

Not sure where else to put this but important quote from the guy who owns Cineworld and Regal

DEADLINE: It’s conceivable that some of the overseas cinemas will open before domestic. Let’s say that in France or Germany or Poland they can open in May. At that point, the studios are not likely to be giving over big movies because they would presumably want to wait for domestic. Do you have any idea how you would work it if some of your other markets opened before North America?
GREIDINGER: I don’t see a possibility except in markets that have really, really strong local product. I can only think of France [where Cineworld is not active], maybe it has enough product. But I don’t see a situation where we can open cinemas without the big studio product.

This is one of the things that will probably make us internationally have to wait for the U.S. market to come back, because opening the cinemas means for us to pay full expenses and without the big movies, this is really impossible.

It would not be realistic to open with older movies, with a cheaper price. This is a great idea for 10 or 14 days or some kind of a run-up before the blockbusters are released, but we will need the U.S. to be back in action in order to have the international markets back in action as well.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/mooky-greidinger-cineworld-regal-trolls-world-tour-interview-coronavirus-1202899758/

Makes me believe more and more that Mulan and this both being in July (especially Disney moving the former, maybe to soften blow of Artemis on D+?) are purposeful concessions to cinema owners even if like capacity is still capped due to govt regulations and stuff.

Hell, with Nolan involved, and pushing the big screen #MaximumEffect already being part of Tenet's marketing, I can imagine WB working with the chains and making that film the backbone of a campaign to bring audiences back to chains in the first weeks. The guy speculates about something like that in the interview as well.

• Like 1