Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Nah, stays in July. All the Trump supporters will rally around this. It will be the symbol of resistance against anti-democratic forces wishing to crash the economy and subjugate the masses with mass surveillance and restriction of individual freedoms!

Just as Nolan always intended. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • ...wtf 5
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

On 4/17/2020 at 11:34 PM, keysersoze123 said:

As I posted in the other thread, July is better than October. 2nd wave for COVID could be the fall than summer. Economy should open by July based on how current infections are trending. 

So I would stick with this date or move it to next summer. That would be end of the world scenario if economy does not open after 1st wave. 

Would think movie theaters will have very strict capacity limits, maybe around 30% of normal capacity. 

34 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Would think movie theaters will have very strict capacity limits, maybe around 30% of normal capacity. 

with fewer big releases I could see movies getting bigger screen count that usual. That could make up somewhat. But more than screen/seat count what is important is fear level at that point. if new case numbers are really low at that point then we could see attendance pick up though any movie releasing this year wont realize its true potential 

Looking at the TV Tropes page for this movie made me realize that the current release date is sort of a palindrome itself. July 17, or 7-1-7. I don’t know if that was intentional, but I’d like to think that it was. Too bad it probably won’t make that date.

• Astonished 1

Just now, Eric Atreides said:

I don't know if this is a Papa Nolan decision or a Stankey decision, but they are legit insane for not pouncing on a new date by this point.

On the other hand, Nolan seems to be all about the theatrical experience so if anyone is willing to roll the dice on being the first release following a global pandemic it's probably him (and if it flops, he and WB will just blame it on COVID). Respect!

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On the other hand, Nolan seems to be all about the theatrical experience so if anyone is willing to roll the dice on being the first release following a global pandemic it's probably him (and if it flops, he and WB will just blame it on COVID). Respect!

Ultimately this move, if it sticks, is all about helping exhibitors out of principle. Even if people don't show up, at least they've had the best chance to make money by providing an anticipated blockbuster upon reopening. And aso certainly helps soften the blow of Scoob and potentially other titles skipping theatres...or being delayed a lot.

Nolan's WaPo op-ed was apparently written at the behest of NATO...the man is all about the traditional theatrical releasing model and the exhibition industry. If any director was gonna directly help them in this situation, it's him.

Edited by antovolk

I guess from WB's POV it's better that the governments have the final say on whether the summer is fully written off...Tenet and Mulan are the final pillars for exhibs and if WB and Disney move either it basically tells cinemas - you aren't reopening until the fall if not later.

Edited by antovolk

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

This is madness. No way things will be close to normal in July. My guess is WB blinks when the time comes.

Probably. But I think waiting until June to see how things progress is not that insane.

They don't have to do much marketing - a second trailer, with the July date made clear, plastered online would reach everyone, since the date itself would drive the conversation. People will see a huge blockbuster being advertised for July and talk about the situation, even if they're possibly not anticipating going themselves. It will put awareness up tremendously. Then, if mid-June outlook is good, they can go all out for a month with advertising. If not, they just don't do it, and take the Dune spot.

And if it DOES release, with social distancing in place, it would still be the only movie, really, so if it plays on 90% of screens, it still has the potential to see blockbuster audience numbers, just spread out more over screenings. 

Exhibitors would also probably be very grateful to WB, and as much as people are talking up the death of cinema-going, the big screen is still going to be popular for huge tentpoles, as "the way to see them", and the future benefits of a good relationship between them are not to be dismissed.

“We’ve put together a task force of our members, as well as experts on health and safety and supply chains,” Fithian said. “We’re planning for how we open up our seating so we can adhere to strict social distancing guidelines. We’re encouraging companies to lean in on reserved ticketing and to train their staff to prevent congestion in the lobbies. Members are staggering showtimes so everyone isn’t arriving at the multiplex at the same time. We are considering innovative ways to sell concessions in order to reduce human contact. And we’re making sure that employees stay home if they feel sick.”

Despite much anticipation for both films, Fithian noted that they are not expecting either tentpole project to have a massive opening, but hopes that with strong word-of-mouth for both could help yield strong box office returns for each.

Our members are motivated to make sure that these films do as well as possible,” Fithian said. “We feel like Disney and Warner are demonstrating their belief in the theatrical model by doing this, so we’re going to go the extra mile. I think that traditional windowing will make sense for these movies. They will play a lot longer in theaters than they would have a year ago. They won’t open to the kind of numbers they would have a year ago, but there’s going to be tremendous word-of-mouth. People are going to love ‘Tenet’ and share that on social media.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1133144-tenet-projecting-low-box-office-opening