MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

I'm sure they'll keep both actors' footage so they can use whichever approach they like when the times comes!  Just like it's clear that someone, somewhere, is keeping a version of BATGIRL on some server or drive.  

Well, in lieu of Jason Momoa’s comments, as well as the Deadline article that claimed the Batgirl movie doesn’t fit with Zaslav’s vision for the DCEU, I’m officially convinced that the plan is for Affleck to stick around, while Keaton’s return will be relegated to a one-off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, in lieu of Jason Momoa’s comments, as well as the Deadline article that claimed the Batgirl movie doesn’t fit with Zaslav’s vision for the DCEU, I’m officially convinced that the plan is for Affleck to stick around, while Keaton’s return will be relegated to a one-off. 

Prolly for the best all things considered 🙌

• Like 1

WB is in a win-win with Affleck and Keaton. If the Flash is as good as people say, they will keep Keaton around, I suspect. That doesn't mean there can't be a Batfleck. Audiences can handle them. 

I think that people expecting Ben to comeback full time will be very disappointed. I feel like they will use this to switch Ben with Keaton, and not The Flash. So we will see the impact of The Flash events through the movies after it not all at once on his movie.

For example: *end of the movie* Arthur is talking to Bataffleck and then he goes to the bathroom and comes back and it's Keaton. Something like that.

VARIETY's most current take on all the DC drama.  To my knowledge, this is the first official-industry-trade confirmation in public that Keaton was involved in this film...at least initially!  We'll see what happens next... this whole corporate sage is its own comic book!  

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-ezra-miller-superman-next-dc-head-warner-bros-discovery-1235353666/

I can't really understand anyone getting excited at Batffleck sticking around, but the internet is a funny place. I'm too cynical to be excited by Keaton's return either, but at least his Batman was in two good-to-great movies that were released a long time ago. I'm actually surprised at how coy WB is being around it.

8 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I can't really understand anyone getting excited at Batffleck sticking around, but the internet is a funny place. I'm too cynical to be excited by Keaton's return either, but at least his Batman was in two good-to-great movies that were released a long time ago. I'm actually surprised at how coy WB is being around it.

BvS wasn't very good but Affleck was INCREDIBLE in it, I think the ship has sailed for his solo movie (which I'm still salty about) but I think he was a great Batman that never really got a chance to shine. ZSJL was very good but it's an ensemble so. That lost potential makes him enticing to the fans, to hopefully realize it someday.

• Like 1

I never understood the praise for Keaton’s Batman. Mind you, I’ve never cared for Tim Burton’s filmography in general, but I just don’t see what appeal Keaton’s Batman has. He’s just a standard Tim Burton protagonist. I can’t really say he screams Batman to me. I was surprised back when it was announced that Keaton was coming back, but I was never particularly excited for it. 

As for Affleck, I think he had some untapped potential, but I feel like that ship has sailed. I don’t particularly care about the prospect of him returning full-time at this point. It would be interesting to peek into an alternate reality where he got to make that solo movie with Joe Manganiello, but that’s in the past. 

Also, I don’t know if the fact that we’re talking about Batman in a thread for Aquaman is depressing or humorous. It’s like DC still can’t shake the idea that they’re overly reliant on Batman. 

• Like 1

Keaton also had already-legendary "unrealized potential" as he and Burton walked away from their third-planned film.  

Batman sells the merch for Warner Bros. more consistently than any other hero -- which is of course why Warners relies on him so much -- and Batman '89 started it all.  I was in line on June 23rd, 1989, and theater employees handed out a Batman merchandise catalogue to each and every person in line.  But $750 mil. in Bat-related merch had apparently already been sold in the months before the premiere!  

No other previous Batman barring Bale would generate such hype for a return.  It's a miracle that Warners even got Keaton back...and now unfortunately his return has been scarred by an extremely problematic star...and his other appearance may not even see the light of day.  I'm sure Keaton's like... "Weird..."  

And yes, it is hilarious that this is the subject that the AQUAMAN thread has turned back to...but Momoa has now acknowledged this himself, he's playing right along with the studio game...  

Edited by Macleod

2 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I think Aquaman 2 box office falls hard from the first.

The novelty of the first will be gone, plus Avatar 2, The Meg 2, Little Mermaid, and Black Panther 2 will have satiated audiences thirst for underwater movies.

That being said, I hope it's good!

🙃

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I wonder if the five year wait will hurt the movie. I wonder why it's taken so long. I'm assuming due to being reliant on DC's plans, plus CGI work, and that "other" factor?

It was always planned for 2022 since it was announced, even before covid. And it was delayed so Wan and the studio could work on the CGI (the entire DC calendar was as well).

• Like 1

So do you guys think this will open Friday the 15th, Friday the 22nd, or Monday the 25th?

I remember the argument being being made back when SWTLJ came out on 12/15/17 that those extra days before Xmas legs kicking in really allowed negative WOM to spread, and that contributed to the unprecedented weak legs for holiday BO. Disney also slated the SW movie originally for 2023 on 12/22/23 instead of 12/15/23, which kind of gave some strength to that argument. 

But opening on 12/22 means that Xmas Eve is on opening Sunday, which would make a weaker opening more likely.

Opening on Xmas Day is normal for movies that come out during the holidays, but since this year it falls on a Monday, they might as well just open it the Friday before to squeeze more money out of it.

Looking back at the 2017 and 2006 calendars, (the same configuration as 2023) Jumanji opened Wednesday 12/20 and Night at the Museum opened Friday 12/22, and those were both among the biggest movies of their year, so that does back up the 12/22 option. Most movies that open on Monday 12/25 are smaller movies that counterprogrammed the bigger blockbuster movie that opened on either the 15 or the 22.

This calendar configuration is notable because it's either the earliest possible or latest possible Friday opening for a pre-Xmas blockbuster to open. Just something to think about.