cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

19 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I still think the general consensus on social media probably means it doesn't go rotten. But yeah lots of the early reactions were mostly comic book bloggers 

This is why it's a mistake ot make any  judgements on how a film is being received based on early reations. They are almost always from "Geek" bloggers, who are predisposed to like genre films, and very forgiving of flaws. It is not until the mainstream/non geek critics are heard from we get a accurate picture of how a movie is received.Not that this will keep the fanboys from screaming "HUGE HIT COMING!" based on a few blogger reviews......

On 3/9/2023 at 4:35 PM, Lucas said:

Pretty funny the one Sandberg movie I didn't end up caring much for is the one I watched sitting right behind him. He still feels fully aware of what he's doing and hasn't let any success get to his head, which is a really admirable thing. I did congratulate him afterwards, despite not really getting much out of the movie personally. I wish him the best and especially that he gets to make what he wants to make because he is a very competent audience-friendly filmmaker. He's the last guy who deserves any kind of dunking on the internet so I hope people stay the fuck calm about this one.

What I liked about the first film is either a diet-version here or not here at all, it feels like one of the old Disney direct-to-video sequels rather than a "real" sequel. It doesn't really justify itself as necessary compared to how quaint and charming the first movie was. The first film has a very solid thematic core that it could hang everything else on, but the few things the characters have in this one feel undercooked. A lot of them are reduced to bullet points and whatever arcs are set up early on don't really progress until a payoff appears at the end.

I can't be too negative because I admire all the good old fashioned superheroics that feel so bizarrely rare in these movies today. It's often pretty funny, the actors are putting in solid work, and nowadays these effects are above what I expect (this is a much better movie than Quantumania lol). At the very least it doesn't feel like I have to carry a whole bunch of baggage into the theater to see it, and my brain isn't going haywire thinking about how every little stupid thing in the movie might affect the entire damn industry. It is about as substantial as a saturday morning cartoon show (not derogatory), it doesn't feel like the deciding factor in what an entire corperation is going to do next.

Compared to 2020s superhero movies, it's by no means the worst one. Had it come out last year I'd put it straight in the middle, and even higher the year before that. But as a big fan of the original film, this isn't really what I was looking for. It's pretty funny at times, but never particularly interesting, the general plotting is mediocre and the characters don't do much to overcome it this time around.

Now because I'm an adult I can move on with my life, though if anyone has any questions you can ask away lol.

so pretty much what the trailers promised

WB screwed up with Shazam 2 release date big time. Should have just released it originally in Dec for that sweet Christmas holiday cash. PLF cash is meaningless if you just open with $30m. Star Wars and Jumani proved that 2 big movies can coexist together in Dec, Shazam probably could have made twice as much in 2022 even against Avatar 2.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Yeah it could have worked as decent counter-programming, there was literally nothing aside from A2 last December.

Puss in Boots would've been sort of competition as well, but yeah, in retrospect they really shouldn't have given up Christmas, multiple movies aimed at similar demographics coexist just fine at that time of year and both Babylon and Whitney ended up being bigger no1currs than anyone imagined they would be even a week before their releases.

9 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

WB screwed up with Shazam 2 release date big time. Should have just released it originally in Dec for that sweet Christmas holiday cash. PLF cash is meaningless if you just open with $30m. Star Wars and Jumani proved that 2 big movies can coexist together in Dec, Shazam probably could have made twice as much in 2022 even against Avatar 2.

If certain insiders are to be believed, WB moved this movie to March because they were bleeding so much money that they couldn’t afford to release anymore movies in 2022. 

On 3/12/2023 at 9:37 AM, WittyUsername said:

If certain insiders are to be believed, WB moved this movie to March because they were bleeding so much money that they couldn’t afford to release anymore movies in 2022. 

People don't get how much money it costs just to get a movie into theaters. Thatis why studios more and more are sending questionble films straight to streaming.

26 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What is going on with the embargo  does not speak Warners has a great deal of confidence in this film.

Nothing is going on with the embargo. Come on folks, we've all been doing this for a long time.

Having an embargo end months before release means nothing, having it end 2 days before release means nothing. The only *red flag* is a day of embargo. 

• Like 3

WED embargo isn't unusual. But the question is advance ticket sale for this one is not so encouraging while both JW4 and D&D as its competitors lift the embargo. The only explanation is WB don't have any confidence in this, otherwise it's a big marketing miscalculation.

15 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Nothing is going on with the embargo. Come on folks, we've all been doing this for a long time.

Having an embargo end months before release means nothing, having it end 2 days before release means nothing. The only *red flag* is a day of embargo. 

This isn't untrue but at the same time embargo the day before release isn't that common either, even moreso for a film that clearly needs a boost in interest from something, *anything* at this point. I'm not saying this is going to get morbius level reviews or anything but if they had confidence in it they probably would've had an earlier embargo to try and build some degree of momentum for the film.

As is, I expect reviews to be just mediocre, they won't sink the film but the problem is that it's already sinking by itself.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3