cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

People blaming everything on Warner, everyone, marketing, except the narrative of the movie itself too.

The first Shazam is a huge flop on streaming and it seems it's lacking rewatchability, also the public reception is mid (3.3 on LB), but the most important thing is that there never was and never has been a big interest in the movie, people have never cared enough.

This is what happens when you rely solely on an over-inflated RottenTomatoes percentage for a CBM, these movies also need huge support from the public. This is not an A24 film.

On 3/13/2023 at 6:05 PM, ChipDerby said:

Nothing is going on with the embargo. Come on folks, we've all been doing this for a long time.

Having an embargo end months before release means nothing, having it end 2 days before release means nothing. The only *red flag* is a day of embargo. 

I don't know why you are talking as if what you say is a fact. Having the embargo ends tomorrow is indeed a major red flag lol

Edited by Lighthouse

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why has someone who actually uses the phrase “mid” been invited to an early screening? lol

Never forget, any fool c an put up a movie website and pretend to be a big deal on the Internet.

• Like 1

I will go see it on Saturday( i have other plands for March thr 17th) because I liked the first one, and 

Spoiler

The Gal Gadot appreance

but I supsect it is not going to do well at the box office.

Warners sure as hell is not spenidng a lot to promote it.

6 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Just bought some tickets. There's like 5 other people here though. Maybe I should walk up instead to avoid the $2 fee? 

Doing My Part Reaction GIF

I'll probably be buying Tuesday tickets...unless reviews kill my kids' enthusiasm like they did for Ant Man...which I did not actually end up seeing (it's D+ now)...

Was there actually another example when relatively well-received sequel to supposedly relatively well-received first movie grossed one third of the original when the original didn't do that well in the first place? Because I can't think of any right away, that's ridiculous, even bad sequels usually don't drop like this.

19 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Was there actually another example when relatively well-received sequel to supposedly relatively well-received first movie grossed one third of the original when the original didn't do that well in the first place? Because I can't think of any right away, that's ridiculous, even bad sequels usually don't drop like this.

Analyze This(De Niro &Cristal) did $177M and Analyze That $55M.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

I don't think I caught the first one. Why is there multiple Shazams? Seems to cheapen his appeal, no? 

Shazam - as the original Captain Marvel - always had a team he works with; his foster family - the Marvel Family. Now it is called Shazam family..

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Analyze This(De Niro &Cristal) did $177M and Analyze That $55M.

Damn, that's a big one. But I don't think Analyze That was well received. At the time there were examples when bad sequels to good movies had massive collapse, but in modern history even terrible cbm sequels manage 50% drop at most, usually it's a bit less.

Edited by Firepower

3 hours ago, Skim Beeble said:

Rachel Zegler is gonna start off her acting career with two back-to-back flops. Oh well, at least she has Hunger Games in November.

West Side Story doesn't qualify as a bomb in the classic sense since it still accomplished its main goal (lots of awards recognition) despite not making no money in theaters. Even if franchise titles like this and the Hunger Games prequel (jury's out on how that'll end up for now but the concept - the origin story of the evil President Snow? Character's not Darth Vader - is giving "flop" vibes so far) go nowhere, her career is unlikely to be affected by them and will be attributed to bad luck. Snow White is gonna be what really puts her on the mainstream map next year IMO.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

West Side Story doesn't qualify as a bomb in the classic sense since it still accomplished its main goal (lots of awards recognition) despite not making no money in theaters. Even if franchise titles like this and the Hunger Games prequel (jury's out on how that'll end up for now but the concept - the origin story of the evil President Snow? Character's not Darth Vader - is giving "flop" vibes so far) go nowhere, her career is unlikely to be affected by them and will be attributed to bad luck. Snow White is gonna be what really puts her on the mainstream map next year IMO.

It made the same amount of money as Cats with the exact same budget. It was a financial bomb for sure. 

• Like 1