Eric Prime

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

4 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

But you don’t have to go many years back 4-5? And they had years when they were the 3-4-5th biggest studio. This industry changes all the time, Disney is in pole position right now, but in 5-10 who knows? Seems like Comcast, Disney and AT&T wants to focus more on streaming after seeing how much money Netflix makes in a year. Paramount, Sony, Lionsgate, the big studios baby studios and the independent studios will probably be bought from one of the big studios or a  huge corp ala Google, Apple or Amazon.

Yes, the industry is subject to change. However, Disney will undoubtedly win the year domestically, which will be its fourth consecutive winning year. WB had a streak of 3 straight wins about a decade ago; but nobody has touched four until now. Not only that but Disney swallowed one of its largest competitors when it bought Fox, thus strengthening its position further.

Sure, it is possible Disney may see a collapse starting next year without the MCU and Star Wars leading its lineup. It's also possible they win a fifth consecutive year. Either way, people can certainly celebrate this weekend for EG's success (and yes, I did like the movie). There are also reasons to be prudent about what may be coming on the horizon. Ehrlich and others are simply more concerned about the future than they are about celebrating today.

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

So, just so we’re clear, Disney will soon own the five highest grossing movies of all time? 

Do you mean WW? Because Titanic is Paramount. If you meant DOM, then yes. 

21 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Well then other studios better start upping their game. 40% of the market isn't consuming Disney's products because they have to. They're not all being herded. They're just more interested in what Disney has to offer.

How exactly can other studios offer that can compare to the studio that owns Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and 20th Century Fox?

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The OW record seems to get beat every 3-5 years.

I really think it’s silly to say something has a 0% chance to do something, especially when a 350m OW wasn’t seen as possible just prior to this weekend.

You may be right that it’ll take 10 years, but I’m just saying I’ve heard people say “This won’t happen again for a long time!” a lot of times.  

I’m not saying this to diminish Endgame’s weekend or anything, absolutely insane numbers.  I’m just skeptical of that statement given how many times I’ve heard it before and how little we know about what the cinematic climate will be like in even 2021 or 2022.

The thing about this opening weekend record is that there's nothing else of truly massive proportions that is coming out in the next few years. I realize Avatar has its fans but to think it could possibly do it is the only real tiny possibility out there. Star Wars is coming to a conclusion DC right now is doing well but so far from what Marvel is doing. Harry Potter is basically done and so on. This opening weekend by end game was obviously a perfect storm in every possible facet. I definitely think the opening weekend will be broken again but I'm definitely one of those who thinks it will take at least a decade. Return of the Jedi smashef the opening weekend record more than end game did and if I'm not mistaken it's opening weekend was Broken around 10 years later.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Sure, it is possible Disney may see a collapse starting next year without the MCU and Star Wars leading its lineup. It's also possible they win a fifth consecutive year. Either way, people can certainly celebrate this weekend for EG's success (and yes, I did like the movie). There are also reasons to be prudent about what may be coming on the horizon. Ehrlich and others are simply more concerned about the future than they are about celebrating today.

I can't see Disney not winning 2020 with two Marvel films, new Pixar and Avatar 2 on their schedule. 

To think I was in theater watching Winter Soldier opening night and thinking "wow it's so different than I expected" and afterwards, realized the directors deserved credit for taking an absurd concept (captain america as a whole) and making it work in a modern setting the way they did. That movie was an absolute surprise to most people in terms of quality I think.

Now here we are... future box office kings. I don't think anyone sat down to watch Winter Soldier back then and thought "one day these guys will make the biggest box office event of the decade"

Their achievement is truly incredible. And they don't even have a dud in there... jesus

Edited by Daxtreme
typo
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The OW record seems to get beat every 3-5 years.

I really think it’s silly to say something has a 0% chance to do something, especially when a 350m OW wasn’t seen as possible just prior to this weekend.

You may be right that it’ll take 10 years, but I’m just saying I’ve heard people say “This won’t happen again for a long time!” a lot of times.  

I’m not saying this to diminish Endgame’s weekend or anything, absolutely insane numbers.  I’m just skeptical of that statement given how many times I’ve heard it before.

You can just refer to the essay I just posted below your post, lol.

I cannot believe people are not giving Marvel/Endgame the credit it deserves for getting this gross.

What do you think is going to be built up in 5 years that will break it? (Halving your 10 year statement)

Absolutely no franchise right now has even got skin in the game (including Marvel) of even having an idea of how to challenge it. 

It took Marvel 11 years to build up to this. Star Wars returned after 10 years to set its own record. 

What is so beloved that is waiting in the wings? 

22 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Audiences are giving them that share and money. So instead of blaming Dis for making movies that audiences want to see, stop seeing their movies, make people around you stop seeing their movie, start a social media information campaign. 

Believe me, I have no interest in seeing anything else they’re putting out this year, but I also have no business in telling other people what they should or shouldn’t see. I’m simply pointing out that in order for the film industry to thrive, it’s not good for one studio to own literally half of it. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Believe me, I have no interest in seeing anything else they’re putting out this year, but I also have no business in telling other people what they should or shouldn’t see. I’m simply pointing out that in order for the film industry to thrive, it’s not good for one studio to own literally half of it. 

Fox was the offeror in this scenario. Any other studio buying it will always come out having that kind of industry share. Hate on Fox for offering it in the first place. 

Edited by sahmeelg

Holy shit at that opening DOM and WW for Avengers: Endgame, totally deserves it. Don't know how high it'll go but will definitely be there to witness it. Marvel has done history. I loved Endgame even more on my second watching (my favourite MCU movie). 

As for the talk about GOT affecting Endgame, both of them have huge audiences but don't think they will impact each other at all. Everyone who wants to watch GOT will have seen Endgame by then or will watch it later. Plus Endgame has proven to be such a massive phenomenon that there'll be spillover + people that do not watch GOT and were going to watch Endgame on Sunday. 

12 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

This is the same guy saying 1 Billion people watch GOT when the only source for that is the Daily Mail. Shows you why hes here. 

Nothing to do with the daily mail. Its based on all known legal estimates and illegal sources, total (not just live). Regardless of whether its true or not, its a huge show.

Edited by GirafficPark

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

But you’ve been banging on about GoT all day? You clearly think it’s going to or why are we even talking about it? 

People were dismissing it as a nothingburger thats why. Its bigger than Endgame, people need to face it. Games also have significantly bigger opening weeks than movies now, people need to remember other mediums exist.

Edited by GirafficPark