sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Just got out of the hustle and it is one of the most inept unfunny lazy rip off movies I have ever seen. I honestly don't know how somebody read that script and thought it would make a good movie. I don't even know if I can give it a 0 out of 10 because there really wasn't one thing in the movie that I liked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 5

2 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

I don’t get how a movie can have huge trailer reception but then people don’t show up. I

As people have stated over and over on the forum, Pokemon is a "global brand" and "the best selling franchise in the world."  It makes total sense that the trailer would attract lots of interest from people not planning to see the movie -- because those Pokemon are so damn cute!  Let's watch it again cause Pikachu says "Pika Pika."

If you like Pokemon, you can play the CCG, play video games, go outside and catch them all.  This isn't the MCU when if you want quality Marvel content (cause fuck the modern comics, ya trash), you have to to go the movies.  Moreover, Detective Pikachu isn't based on the main game.  It'd be like if the MCU started with a "What if Captain America piloted Iron Man's suit" instead of doing a straight up Cap film.  That COULD work for die hard fans, but will it work for the folks who just play Pokemon Go?

And, Detective Pikachu also feels like a film that reddit and tumblr will eat up without having to consume.  It makes for great gif sets and reaction gifs.  The CGI is also effing adorable.

tumblr_pi3q0cdcz61xi4ud3o2_500.gif

tumblr_pi3q0cdcz61xi4ud3o3_500.gif

tumblr_pnk5c415bJ1xi4ud3o2_500.gif

I have zero vested interest in this movie, but OMOFOG...ITSSS SOOOOOOO CUTE.  It's so FLUFFY.

So, yeah, I totally understand how something like Detective Pikachu could have a high trailer view that doesn't translate into a high opening weekend.

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just got out of the hustle and it is one of the most inept unfunny lazy rip off movies I have ever seen. I honestly don't know how somebody read that script and thought it would make a good movie. I don't even know if I can give it a 0 out of 10 because there really wasn't one thing in the movie that I liked.

I'm just happy it's finally released so I never have to see that same goddamn trailer in front of every movie I go to.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Are there WDAS movies scheduled for next year? I'm still waiting for that Zootopia 2 announcement.

18 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Minions 2 is about to have big drop DOM ala IA5/PIB.

@cannastop:ph34r:

There's an untitled movie for November 25, 2020. I think it will be Stephen Anderson's movie.

If Zootopia 2 isn't announced at D23 this year, I don't think it's ever coming.

7 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

If Pika Pika follows...

Finding Dory: 84m

Christopher Robin/Maleficient: 94m

Hotel Transylvania 3: 97m

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: 100m

HTTYD3: 105m OW

Minions: 107m OW

Pets: 111.7m OW

LEGO 2: 130m OW

LEGO Batman: 137m OW

The Jungle Book/Inside Out: 140m

Cinderella: 168m OW

Boss Baby: 191m OW

Zootopia: 251m OW

84m FLOOR!  OW could go as high as 251m, Go Pika Pika go!

It will be at least 20 million under the lowest comp.

• Knock It Off 1

Also ive seen Pikachu 4 hours ago and its a solid film. Pikachu itself is outstanding and very funny. The plot is meh but who is seriously watching a Pokemon film for the plot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

So there were ... 0 ... things you liked?

• Like 2

I like Anne Hathaway and pretty much anything and everything that she's done. She annoyed the hell out of me in this movie.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

If you like Pokemon, you can play the CCG, play video games, go outside and catch them all.  This isn't the MCU when if you want quality Marvel content (cause fuck the modern comics, ya trash), you have to to go the movies.  Moreover, Detective Pikachu isn't based on the main game.  It'd be like if the MCU started with a "What if Captain America piloted Iron Man's suit" instead of doing a straight up Cap film.  That COULD work for die hard fans, but will it work for the folks who just play Pokemon Go?

And, Detective Pikachu also feels like a film that reddit and tumblr will eat up without having to consume.  It makes for great gif sets and reaction gifs.  The CGI is also effing adorable.

tumblr_pi3q0cdcz61xi4ud3o2_500.gif

tumblr_pi3q0cdcz61xi4ud3o3_500.gif

tumblr_pnk5c415bJ1xi4ud3o2_500.gif

I have zero vested interest in this movie, but OMOFOG...ITSSS SOOOOOOO CUTE.  It's so FLUFFY.

So, yeah, I totally understand how something like Detective Pikachu could have a high trailer view that doesn't translate into a high opening weekend.

I think these are both excellent points. 👍

Put simply, the trailer attracted interest.  That much is clear.  But not enough interest to actually translate into sales.  

It was social media gold, yes.  But as more and more of the plot came out, it became more and more: eh.

I think the telling reaction really is Ash Crossan's:

She wanted to like it.  Late on she comments that she wants more Pokemon style movies.  But this one just didn't connect at all.  I'm suspecting that happened with a lot of folks.  @captainwondyful's analogy about "What if" sounds as good as an explanation as any, really.

Interested enough to listen to the pitch; not convinced to buy the product.

===

No clue what the rest of the OW will be like.  As I said in the Tracking thread, my gut level read is something like 12x.  I'd be pretty surprised at anything much under 10x.  So conservatively 55-60 sounds like a good target, but I'd like to see 68 or so.  

Just have to see how it plays out with folks as a family film.

• Like 1

I think in hindsight I should've gone with my gut based on hearing the plot concept and the fact that my friends group who has two die-hard Pokemon fans in it both thought the movie looked hilariously bad.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Captain Marvel category for sure. She was one of the most talked about characters in Endgame.

You seem to be one of the people here who gets everything wrong... that profile xD wtf were you thinking going outside like that??xD.. ginger.. socks and slippers AND your white pale skin brushed with trumpian hairsquatch xD TTVOMJ

• Knock It Off 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Didn't Anne Hathaway say in an interview not too long ago that a Princess Diaries 3 is in the works? Between Serenity and now The Hustle I can't say I'm surprised.

I knew that the Pikachu weekend thread would be a great thread for me to go on another defense of how Serenity rules.  Literally.  There's a character called THE RULES.  How can you not love this movie?

Edited by That One Guy

Predicting the rest of the summer OW/DOM

Pikachu - 55/140

John Wick - 60/150

Aladdin - 50/135

Godzilla - 50/140

Dark Phoenix - 40/115

Pets 2 - 80/260

MiB - 28/75

Shaft - 35/90

TS4 - 120/350

Child's Play - 12/25

Annabelle - 30 (FSS)/105

Yesterday - 20/80

Spidey - 115 (FSS)/380

Stuber - 12/30

Crawl - 20/55

The Lion King - 185/520

Hollywood - 55/200 

Hobbs/Shaw - 70/210

Dora - 20/50

The Kitchen - 20/95

Blinded By The Light - 11/45

Angry Birds 2 - 20/60

Edited by TMP
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Also ive seen Pikachu 4 hours ago and its a solid film. Pikachu itself is outstanding and very funny. The plot is meh but who is seriously watching a Pokemon film for the plot.

Hoping it's super strange. A wacky blend of Monster Hunt, Rango and Roger Rabbit. Still wish someone like DeVito was Pikachu's voice. Hell, I'd settle for Pacino too.

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Anything above 50M for Pika is really good. Anything above 60 is great.

This. I always though tthis movie was being wildly overpredicted by a  lot of people here.

It's going to be a success;not a blockbuster level success but a success. There will be sequels; and it will be the most successful game based movie ever made.

I was never impressed by the "look at how massive the Pokomon game is;that means the movie will be massive" because game based movies have generally had problems  attractoing the kind of massive fanbase the games had.