sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

21 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Why not GVK for Christmas? It could drum up some monster business.

Honestly, that'd be a great idea. Would fill up the Star Wars/Avatar/Aquaman shoes perfectly as the big blockbuster of the holidays (unless Jumanji 3 moves to that spot, which is the most sense-making idea by the day).

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Honestly, that'd be a great idea. Would fill up the Star Wars/Avatar/Aquaman shoes perfectly as the big blockbuster of the holidays (unless Jumanji 3 moves to that spot, which is the most sense-making idea by the day).

I actually think it'll work out really well for Jumanji, but that would be a 1 year delay, considering they are done with shooting, they'll probably make it on time this year.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Also no big blockbusters outside of Eternals and if Godzilla KOTM is loved, they can use it to build up hype.

While we are at WB should put Scoob the second weekend of May, more time for legs, Spongebob will die anyways and I doubt Black Widow does more than say TWS numbers. 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Crazy Rich Asians was like watching a typical asian or bollywood with a much higher budget lol 

Not nearly as romantic since it was far more about wacky and nasty friends and friends than the couple who were dull together - especially him who didn't do much aside from stand there and look pretty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Not nearly as romantic since it was far more about wacky and nasty friends and friends than the couple who were dull together - especially him who didn't do much aside from stand there and look pretty.

I mean as a person who watches Bollywood movies for nearly 25 years lol 

It's amazing how far the "Pokemon" franchise has come. It came out while I was a teenager and become a pop culture phenomenon.   It's still ranked as the highest grossing media franchise overall.  Look at the Top 10.   I'm not surprised by this list at all because these franchises are global .  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

https://deadline.com/2019/05/pokemon-detective-pikachu-avengers-endgame-box-office-weekend-1202611690/

2nd Update, Friday, 12:17PM: Legendary/Warner Bros.’ Pokemon Detective Pikachu is looking to beat Avengers: Endgame today, $20M to $18M. That said, Endgame will take the weekend with an estimated $70M at 4,662 theaters,  -53% for a running total of $730.4M. That will make the Disney/Marvel pic the third highest grossing title of all-time at the domestic B.O. by Sunday. By tomorrow, the Russo Brothers directed movie will cross $700M in 16th day of release tying with Star Wars: Force Awakens record.

Meanwhile, Pikachu has nothing to cry about with a second place estimated opening of $53.6M at 4,202.

MGM’s The Hustle via UAR is looking at a $3.5M Friday and an estimated $12M opening weekend for third place in 3,007. Lionsgate’s Long Shot is looking at a sweet hold of -18% or $8M for a 10-day of $21.6M in 4th.

STX’s Poms in fifth is eyeing $6.3M at 2,750 for the weekend after an estimated Friday of $1.75M.

Fox Searchlight’s Tolkien at 1,465 theaters is seeing $1.25M today, $3.7M for the weekend. More updates later.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, ChipMunky said:

I'm not even going to respond to that blatant Henry Golding SLANDER.

Not his fault, he had nothing to play - the core relationship was between his fiance and his Mommy.  He doesn't even get to be wacky comic relief or an unleashed sex god (a pity)

• Like 1

I have started my usual summer RT watch, for those who are interested. The previous summer box office seasons that I have tracked (general stats below) all had a similar breakdown of “Fresh” vs “Rotten” films - usually somewhat more Rotten than Fresh. Summer 2017 had the highest proportion of Rotten films, but is the best summer so far in terms of the proportion of films with 80% or higher and with an 8+ average rating.

How will this summer fare? We are off to a poor start so far, with 5 “Rotten” films out of 7 wide-releases. Two weekends in, and Long Shot is easily the best rated film, followed by the only other “Fresh” film, Detective Pikachu. Next weekend will help, as the third chapter of the John Wick series is looking to have excellent reviews (currently at 97% and an 8.4 rating with 29 reviews in - we'll see if it can maintain an 8+ average rating, which would give us our first of the summer already). However, A Dog’s Journey and The Sun Is Also a Star also open, and it remains to be seen where they will fall. 

2019 Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Long Shot — 81% — 7.1 rating
  2. Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 63% — 6.0 rating
  3. Tolkien — 48% — 5.7 rating
  4. Poms — 30% — 4.6 rating
  5. UglyDolls — 30% — 4.4 rating
  6. The Intruder — 28% — 4.1 rating
  7. The Hustle — 17% — 4.0 rating

2018 — 45 wide-release films

• 22 fresh, 23 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 13 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 3 films (BlacKkKlansman, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, and Hereditary)

2017 — 42 wide-release films

• 18 fresh, 24 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 14 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 4 films (Dunkirk, The Big Sick, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver)

2016 — 42 wide-release films

• 20 fresh, 22 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 9 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 1 film (Kubo and the Two Strings)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7

The pre-4:00 pm shows near me are dead for everything. Apart from a 6:45 Pikachu showing in a dine-in auditorium, it doesn't look like anything tonight is north of 80% sold right now. Other cities are doing much better, capacity-wise than mine. Other than the weather being nice, there is nothing going on around here to keep people away from the movies. I'm not even going to try to guess how things will end up today.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not his fault, he had nothing to play - the core relationship was between his fiance and his Mommy.  He doesn't even get to be wacky comic relief or an unleashed sex god (a pity)

Last Christmas can correct this. Dragon Queen meets Dragon Sex God?