sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

http://bit.ly/2ECK2H4

Variety’s cover story with Chris Hemsworth.

Ghostbusters (2016) is one of his favourite roles :) He also credits it with making audiences more accepting of a sillier version of Thor (agreed). 

I’m glad it’s one of his favourites. 

Very candid interview in relation to his rotten efforts (Huntsman, Blackhat). Nice to see an actor being so frank. 

@TalismanRing @Sam @captainwondyful

“There’s a mentor element with Downey,” Hemsworth says. “There’s an incredible friendship with Scarlett and [Jeremy] Renner and [Mark] Ruffalo. With Chris Evans, I have a real brotherly bond. I think they wouldn’t pair us up on this press tour, because we just spend the whole time screwing around and none of it is on topic.”

Asked about this later, Evans laughs and confirms it’s true. “Which is such bulls—!” he says. “We had too much fun together, and truly like kids in school, we were separated because we weren’t getting s— done.” (Evans has an idea for a movie they could make together: “I would love to do one of those ’80s buddy comedies, where we could shed the characters we are known for.”)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

14 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s literally rotten with top critics and all critics. Score below 6.

yeah rotten is not bad. 58% of critics liked it. bad critical reception would be like less than 40%. 

to treat movies simply as rotten or fresh without looking at the actual approval rating and and what the critics are saying is too much of an extreme. 

Alita and Aquaman RT % was 60% and 65% respectively which is slightly higher than Aladdin yet people called their overall critical reception decent instead of straight up bad or biased.

41 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

(Evans has an idea for a movie they could make together: “I would love to do one of those ’80s buddy comedies, where we could shed the characters we are known for.”)

Thanks to The Losers’ tag, I have always wanted a movie where they are rival coaches for their kids/girls’ junior soccer teams. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

http://bit.ly/2ECK2H4

Variety’s cover story with Chris Hemsworth.

Ghostbusters (2016) is one of his favourite roles :) He also credits it with making audiences more accepting of a sillier version of Thor (agreed). 

I’m glad it’s one of his favourites. 

Very candid interview in relation to his rotten efforts (Huntsman, Blackhat). Nice to see an actor being so frank. 

If Hemsworth can turn the fourth Men In Black into another hit, he will cement his status as one of the most bankable movie stars in the world.

:hahaha:

• Haha 2

Still too early to call 300M DOM for Aladdin, IMHO

Only two Memorial Day movies passed that mark, both had better openings and solid legs

1 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End BV $139,802,190 45.2% 4,362 $32,050 $309,420,425 5/25/07
2 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Par. $126,917,373 40.0% 4,260 $29,792 $317,101,119 5/22/08
3 X-Men: The Last Stand Fox $122,861,157 52.4% 3,690 $33,295 $234,362,462 5/26/06
4 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $117,036,995 49.0% 3,658 $31,995 $238,679,850 5/24/13
5 Aladdin (2019) BV $112,700,000 100.0% 4,476 $25,179 $112,700,000 5/24/19

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

is Endgame still on track to beat Avatar WW? haven't been keeping with its box office lately but this weekend's OS gross was quite low and it's still 106M behind :ph34r:

South Korea, Brazil, uk and japan seems be the countries with last legs for endgame 

everywhere else it seems a bit dried up

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

is Endgame still on track to beat Avatar WW? haven't been keeping with its box office lately but this weekend's OS gross was quite low and it's still 106M behind :ph34r:

Short answer: No

Long answer: No, not without a re-release or some miraculous late legs in North America.

‘Aladdin’s $116M-$117M Opening Reps A Whole New World For Disney At Memorial Day B.O.

Disney’s Aladdin will final its Memorial Day weekend opening between $116M-$117M after a robust estimated $25.7M Monday, -15% from Sunday. This comes from estimates this morning.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/aladdin-memorial-day-box-office-1202621906/

Edited by Assassin
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

no, it will finish below avatar. the dream is dead.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think Aladdin can break the MD big second weekend drop trend. We have never had a big MD opener that audiences truly loved, so we're in new territory. 

audiences "truly love" it?

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I think that the answer to this relies on how strong the OS legs can be this point forward. It faced Aladdin this weekend OS and it still managed to come out above Infinity War, if the estimates hold. 

If Endgame can still keep this pace ahead of IW in OS-C, it will manage to top Avatar without a re-release. If it doesn’t, then it will need a re-release. I think people are overestimating the effect that competition will have for Endgame. It’s heading to Weekend 6, if it still manages to keep over IW OS-C and around the same in Dom, it will end up topping Avatar.

7 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

South Korea, Brazil, uk and japan seems be the countries with last legs for endgame 

everywhere else it seems a bit dried up

I would remove the UK from the list. It’s had horrific weekend drops here and it made £1.2m over the holiday weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

audiences "truly love" it?

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. If the CS and RT audience scores didn't already prove it, then the unprecedented Sunday and Monday holds for this weekend sure did. 

I’d say so. WOM seems exceptionally high everywhere you look (across the world), and the holds indicate its bearing out at the box office. 

I think Tuesday will be over $12m