sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino/

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: 40-60 range. 50/165

MIB International: 41/112.5 (+5%)

Shaft: 24/69 (-14%)

Anna: 6/17

Child's Play: 18 (+6%)/42.5

Toy Story 4: 151 (+29%)/495 (+27%)

it begins. I wish @Shawn had added 5m to the total.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino/

I think the whole family concept of Shaft will really sell to its core fan base on Father's Day weekend...I wouldn't be surprised if it goes higher for that weekend (no matter the quality)...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

If Toy Goddamn Story 4 opens to 150+, which is 20M more than Finding Dory's opening, Onward better break SLOP's original movie OW record because Pixar power is absolutely OP at this point. Also, how in the world is there 150+ interest in a movie that has no purpose in its existence beyond nostalgic cash-gr------yeah, nevermind, it makes sense now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If Toy Goddamn Story 4 opens to 150+, which is 20M more than Finding Dory's opening, Onward better break SLOP's original movie OW record because Pixar power is absolutely OP at this point. Also, how in the world is there 150+ interest in a movie that has no purpose in its existence beyond nostalgic cash-gr------yeah, nevermind, it makes sense now.

Would you say the same about next Avengers. After all endgame has closed loop nicely. Audience love Woody and Buzz. So they will be there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Slamming Toy Story 4 as a cash grab while calling SLOP (Toy Story with the numbers filed off done poorly) an original movie....  :rock:

As said, Toy Story is immensely popular because of the characters - it's not about the destination it's about going along for the ride and enjoying the company.

Edited by TalismanRing

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'd argue Into The Spider-Verse was just as cinematically astounding, if not more. Yeah, it's animation, but 95% of all animated movies don't aim for cinematic appeal.

Live-action wise...... Mission: Impossible, Fallout is the only thing I'd put at the same level (or above) Godzilla '14 as far as pure craft goes. Gareth Edwards would be a Nolan 2.0 if he had good scripts to direct. The man is an absolute craftsmanship machine. Sadly, he doesn't get those good scripts to balance out his technical competence (between Godzilla and Rogue One.... yeah, neither had exactly killer screenplays).

Edwards is Nolan 2.0 where his sterile lifeless characters are as interesting as watching paint dry.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Guessing 22 od for KOTM

16.5 (-25%)

12 (-27.5%)

= 50.5

17.6 (-20%)

13.2 (-25%)

= 52.8

btw KSI had a 20 od and 61 ow and grew on Sat from full Fri.

Something remotely like that won't happen here. GZ14 was -16% and -30% on Sat and Sun.

Edited by a2k

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Would you say the same about next Avengers. After all endgame has closed loop nicely. Audience love Woody and Buzz. So they will be there.

The next Avengers makes sense to exist because all of the characters introduced throughout Phases 2 and 3 that will become the leaders of their own arc to follow this one up. Toy Story 4 is just "welp, the toys are now Bonnie's toys, let's cook some random shit up to make money from that". 3 was a perfect conclusion to the whole series and 4's plot sounds like Toy Story 2 2.0 (3.0, if you count TS3 as the 1st TS2 2.0). Endgame left a lot of loose ends and it only concluded the OG Avengers' arcs, who then passed the torch to the newer characters. There's a difference. And even then, no one's stopping you from ending your MCU care at Endgame. Makes sense, after all.

@TalismanRing You don't need to lecture me on SLOP not being original at all. I know that. But it's technically original, that's just a fact.

@AJ2k Are you kidding me? Nolan knows way better how to create good characters. Like, not even remotely close. Do you wanna compare the characters in the Dark Knight trilogy, The Prestige, Memento, Insomnia or Inception to the ones from Godzilla and Rogue One? Even Interstellar had better characters. While Dunkirk didn't have characters but it wasn't even trying to.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

42 minutes ago, John Marston said:

King of the Monsters reminds me of Wrath of the Titans. The first one did well because of hype and cool trailers but wasn't well liked, and the sequel nosedived, despite the sequel promising more action and monsters

And got worse reviews.

22 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I didn't like G14 but there was more cinematic craft to it than I could say for any blockbuster released over the past year-plus.

Thanks to Tony Gilroy..yes the same guy who fixed rogue one. But i still don't like that movie. 

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

FWIW, Toy Story (and I think also Lion King) is the one movie this summer both of my parents are excited for this summer (of course, they don't know a movie exists until like two days before it comes out, or if they see the trailer for it in front of a movie :lol:)

People just really like the Toy Story characters.

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I love the way cinematic craft supposedly doesn't include storytelling, writing, acting or pacing. 

it does but it may not in a specific instance depending on what is being talked about. replace it with technical/visual craft, whatever. all those things you name are precisely why I didn't like it in the end but it was still a better movie to simply watch than most tentpoles released since. (Yeah TMP I'd include Fallout, which is fine but the thrill comes more from the stunts themselves than stuff like composition or camerawork).

22 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'd argue Into The Spider-Verse was just as cinematically astounding, if not more. Yeah, it's animation, but 95% of all animated movies don't aim for cinematic appeal.

Live-action wise...... Mission: Impossible, Fallout is the only thing I'd put at the same level (or above) Godzilla '14 as far as pure craft goes. Gareth Edwards would be a Nolan 2.0 if he had good scripts to direct. The man is an absolute craftsmanship machine. Sadly, he doesn't get those good scripts to balance out his technical competence (between Godzilla and Rogue One.... yeah, neither had exactly killer screenplays).

Don't spread the wrong narrative. Both Godzilla 14 and rogue one needed big time fixing. And in both cases Tony Gilroy was brought. The awesome climax/3rd act you saw in both movies was due to Gilroy. In Rogue one even parts of first and second act were completely reshot.

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That seems really good for Dark Phoenix and Men In Black, I thought they’d be DOA, even in China. 

That Dark Pheonix number is for four days, not three and Gavin Feng is usually on the most optimistic side.