sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

1 hour ago, TMP said:

even Glass?

by which metric is glass considered a blockbuster?

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Fallout?

i feel like half your posts are just "hey what about this movie?" when someone says they thought something was the best or worst x. just assume they already thought of it dude.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I tried 4DX when I went up to NYC because one of the theaters there had it.  Unfortunately there was only one movie playing in the format and my mom/sister wanted to go too, and that’s the story of how we paid $91 to see Despicable Me 3

No wonder DM3 can make 1b WW!

• Like 1

Avengers did 1.13 yesterday. If it exactly mimics IW it finishes around 844. Most probably around 840m finish plus any expansion benefit if and when Disney re-expand or release extended director's cut. I am sure a 3:30 endgame would be agreeable for the fans.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Avengers did 1.13 yesterday. If it exactly mimics IW it finishes around 844. Most probably around 840m finish plus any expansion benefit if and when Disney re-expand or release extended director's cut. I am sure a 3:30 endgame would be agreeable for the fans.

Only if that additional footage is all action. The story and character scenes are good as they are, no additional content is needed there. Making some of the battles longer or mixing in some action in the first act would be a plus.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-opening-weekend-box-office-1202624876/

Warner Bros/Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters is biting off more than he was expected to chew, headed for a $60M-$65M weekend after a $24M Friday that includes $6.3M in previews.

PostTrak exits last night for Godzilla and friends were fantastic with 4 1/2 stars from general audiences and 5 stars from both parents and kids under 12. General crowds gave the film a 75% definite recommend, parents an 80% and kids 88%. Caucasians were less than 50% of the crowd with very good turnout by Hispanic (24%) and Asian moviegoers (13%). West coast business is bound to be very good. Male heavy as expected at 70%, with leading demos being men over 25 (41%), men under 25 (29%), females over 25 (18%) and females under 25 (12%). Interestingly, females like the movie a little bit more than guys, 87% to 84%.

Disney’s Aladdin will take 2nd place in weekend 2 with $11M today and $43M for the weekend, -47%, for a running 10-day total of $185.6M by Sunday.

Paramount/Marv Film’s Rocketman is seeing an estimated first day of $8.5M (including those $2.3M previews) and a 3-day between $23M-$25M.

Universal/Blumhouse’s Ma is eyeing an estimated $8M today (plus $1.4M previews) and a 3-day of $20M, a fantastic start for the $5M net production (before P&A).

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

If KOTM does 450 ww on 200 prod budget despite a hefty amount coming from China, how will it affect GVK's production?

Edit:

Using 500 ww with break-down of 150 dom + 160 Ch + 190 OS-Ch

150*0.55 + 160*0.25 + 190*0.40 = 198.5 on 200 prod budget

Edited by a2k

Just now, a2k said:

If KOTM does 450 ww on 200 prod budget despite a hefty amount coming from China, how will it affect GVK's production?

I doubt it will have any impact. Anyway Zilla vs Kong has way higher ceiling than this. Its not something like Justice League.

• Like 1

If KotM can get to that 65m number I’d be happy as hell. Would be a win for sure after all the negativity over the film. WOM seem GREAT...

shows for tonight at my theater seem fine. My particular showing at 7:30 is packed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That would be awesome for Zilla. I am sure Rocketman would go up for sure. No way its friday is that close to Ma.

Too early for holdovers. Let us wait for evening update.

And that drop % for Aladdin would be way off too lol. 

Very solid if it holds for Zilla but I would be curious where it comes from based on presales. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-opening-weekend-box-office-1202624876/

Disney’s Aladdin will take 2nd place in weekend 2 with $11M today and $43M for the weekend, -47%, for a running 10-day total of $185.6M by Sunday.

So, Deadline shows their Math is just as good as always...

Last time I checked, $43M 2nd weekend after a $91.5M 1st weekend is a drop of 53%, not 47%...but maybe they were wishcasting vs forecasting...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

Trying to make the film sound better.. I am... but deadline reported is as a 170m budget. Much better than what we all thought... which was that 200 number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

If KotM can get to that 65m number I’d be happy as hell. Would be a win for sure after all the negativity over the film. WOM seem GREAT...

shows for tonight at my theater seem fine. My particular showing at 7:30 is packed.

I agree. 65m would be solid win for this. More than that Post trak numbers look great.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

And that drop % for Aladdin would be way off too lol. 

Very solid if it holds for Zilla but I would be curious where it comes from based on presales. 

I mentioned the Atom deal for KOTM and Rocketman that ran all week...1st one for the "big movies" in awhile (since pre-Endgame), and folks might have been ready to save some cash at the end of the month (swinging normal Fandango presales to Atom)...

Or it could be Deadline spewing crappy numbers...

Or it could be a combination of both...your choice:)...

• Like 1