TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This revisionist approach is always funny 

Thor not only had average critical reception, but also a pretty bad B+ cinemascore and not really impressive box office result. And it's not that the movie trully developed a cultural sense of "cult" movie these past few years anyway for this make sense 

Probably they will try a more balanced tone next time, but no they won't come back to 2011

It's not revisionist take. Watched recently in my mcu marathon and it's pretty damn solid.

Honestly  phase 1 with exception of IM2 and IH is pretty solid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

A sixth Thor movie sounds like overkill. Out of the original Marvel Trinity, I find it odd that Thor is the one who’s still kicking around. 

Hemsworth is like William Shatner as Kirk.  It's what he was destined for; these two guys are engaging presences in other non-fictional things, but they've been destined for one iconic character in their careers -- most actors are extremely lucky to even get one of those.  Feige knows it, and I think Hemsworth has come around to humbling himself and realizing it, too.  It is odd, I wouldn't have predicted THOR would be the one to last past all the others with the original actor, either...but the world surprises you!  They've essentially written out the other original Avengers and THOR's uniqueness comes from basically that he can't die...so it's easy for him to stick around -- but creates harder story problems to create drama with/around an immortal character, for sure.  Which is why the comedy was refreshing for a while.  But I think the pendulum will swing back, too... that's the nature of genre, like BOND films and so many others.   

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

I was admittedly mixed on Thor back on release week (no doubt a product of seeing Fast Five the day before and being the greatest movie of 2011, possibly ever), but when it hit Epix, I turned around on it and finding a lot of charm in the fish outta water/Shakespearean combo. I even liked Jane and Thor's dynamic across BOTH films before she got kicked to the curb unceremoniously.

It also of course features the best MCU score. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Thor not only had average critical reception, but also a pretty bad B+ cinemascore and not really impressive box office result. And it's not that the movie trully developed a cultural sense of "cult" movie these past few years anyway for this make sense 

Probably they will try a more balanced tone next time, but no they won't come back to 2011

People also very conveniently forget that the first Thor was very comedic. The only one that really took itself seriously was The Dark World, the one widely considered the worst both for Thor but for the whole MCU

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 6

I like the first Thor, but not as much as Ragnarok, and I think it's pretty clear that the comedic turn for Thor connected very well with audiences across Ragnarok->IW->EG. This seems to be viewed as taking things too far, so the next iteration will likely be something closer to IW Thor in tone. It certainly won't be pre-Ragnarok Thor which failed to connect well.

To sum up:

Ragnarok: Let’s Guadians the shit out of it = 😀

Love & Thunder: Let’s GOTG2 the shit out of it = 😐

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People also very conveniently forget that the first Thor was very comedic. The only one that really took itself seriously was The Dark World, the one widely considered the worst both for Thor but for the whole MCU

Was it?  I might just be remembering Darcy being cranked up to 11 because she was nonstop in that movie.  That's honestly all I can remember about TDW.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

To sum up:

Idk if this has reception like GOTG2 it'll do pretty well. That movie was a hit with audiences even if it wasn't liked at much as the first. However the reviews are a good bit weaker than Guardians 2 and I suspect reception will be as well.

23 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Idk if this has reception like GOTG2 it'll do pretty well. That movie was a hit with audiences even if it wasn't liked at much as the first. However the reviews are a good bit weaker than Guardians 2 and I suspect reception will be as well.

Yeah but Thor is a god, his stories should be epic. Ragnarok worked because it had those GOTG thematic elements, but on top of a serious story of major importance

This offering appears to be more of a throwaway story, mostly disposable fun, character evolution & growth, which can work for Guardians - by their very nature outsiders/side characters - but not as well for Thor, an original Avenger

Edited by M37

Thor and the first Cap have an earnesty that the MCU largely lost after The Avengers. You can still feel the cogs turning, but like someone else said, they're mostly sincere. Both have aged well. Hems, Hiddles and Hoppy (!) are all great in it and Hems has always been funny. It's a fun time.

Also, super sci-fi Kirby Asgard (with its tens of people) >>> ugly 'lived in' Asgard.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, M37 said:

To sum up:

GOTG2 is masterpiece. Don't put those 2 together in the same sentence. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Its pretty clear you don’t know a damn thing about what you’re talking about it. The first Thor at the time was considered a decent box office hit, and helped elevate The Avengers to the next level box office wise. The only reason why the first Thor didn’t gross more was due to a surprising Fast Five being released in all territories around the same time. 

You can tell this above poster has an extreme biasness, you can’t debate with people like that.

• Haha 1