sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

For all the shit that The Hobbit movies get (and most of it deserved), they were not like, universally despised movies and they were still extremely successful at the box office, especially internationally. The audience for Middle Earth is there. And with GoT ending, everyone will be looking to capture the same kind of audience. I don't think Amazon's Lord of the Rings will quite do it, as GoT used the blood and tits technique to bring in non-fantasy fans, whereas this will be a more straight-up high fantasy show (the Tolkien estate wouldn't sign off on a highly sexualized show I would imagine), but the audience is still out there. 

With Amazon essentially being a loss leader business in almost all segments, I wouldn't think they care or even expect the show to actually be profitable in itself. But if it keeps adding to Amazon's original content reputation, making its streaming service competitive with everything else, it will just further help in Amazon's long-term goal of world domination, space exploration, terra-forming and eventually capturing and militarizing xenomorphs. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Lion King 2019 is a one and done kind of movie. Worth seeing once, but I never saw it getting the repeat viewing that I2 clearly had.

At the end of the day most people going to TLK have already seen it tons of times over 25 years. It’s exactly the same film. 

Yes, the lesson with I2 and TLK should be to not do straight up remakes. Yes, redo the themes, learn the same lessons, have most of the same conflict, but make JUST ENOUGH changes so it feels new. 

TLK 2019 should have been The Lion Queen, with Beyonce's Nala as the lead...

• ...wtf 2

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

TLK 29.7 :gold: (I think 75 3 days)

OUATIH 13.3

Spidey 4.9:whosad:

TS4 4.1

Damn, so TLK:

OWend: 191.77M

OWeekdays: 83.48M

OWeek: 275.25

22.3M (+48.7%)

29.7M (+33.2%)

23M (-22.6%) = 75M (-60.9%)

10M (-56.5%)

15.5M (+55%)

9M (-41.9%)

8.5M (-5.6%) = 43M (-48.5%)

2nd Week: 118M (-57%) total: 393.25M

12.75M (+50%)

17.25M (+35.3%)

13M (-24.6%) = 43M (-42.7%)

5M (-61.5%)

8M (+60%)

5M (-37.5%)

5M (-0%) = 23M (-46.5%)

3rd Week: 66M (-44.1%) total: 459.25M

19 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Damn, so TLK:

OWend: 191.77M

OWeekdays: 83.48M

OWeek: 275.25

22.3M (+48.7%)

29.7M (+33.2%)

23M (-22.6%) = 75M (-60.9%)

10M (-56.5%)

15.5M (+55%)

9M (-41.9%)

8.5M (-5.6%) = 43M (-48.5%)

2nd Week: 118M (-57%) total: 393.25M

12.75M (+50%)

17.25M (+35.3%)

13M (-24.6%) = 43M (-42.7%)

5M (-61.5%)

8M (+60%)

5M (-37.5%)

5M (-0%) = 23M (-46.5%)

3rd Week: 66M (-44.1%) total: 459.25M

If that happens, $600 million is doubtful :gold:

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

If that happens, $600 million is doubtful :gold:

can you stop the panicking mode for one time ? 550 million for dom wont make the movie a failure, so stop overreacting , chill

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

when people have goals like 400 dom or 600 dom, like its something easy but call a movie any movie a failure bc it made 300 dom or 500 dom in other words less than they hoped for but still big, the you know that something is very wrong

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, baumer said:

Studio estimates for OUTIH will be exactly 40 million. Probably will be pretty accurate too.

Too bad this movie deserve Father's Day slot more than MIB4.

With that Saturday's 13.3m, the film needs to have control its sunday's drop to below 25% in order to be >40m opening

Looked like Django Unchained will be the highest grossing QT's film, both domestic and WW. To be fair, DU got Oscar bump in its run which IB and OUTIH would never enjoyed.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Too bad this movie deserve Father's Day slot more than MIB4.

With that Saturday's 13.3m, the film needs to have control its sunday's drop to below 25% in order to be >40m opening

Looked like Django Unchained will be the highest grossing QT's film, both domestic and WW. To be fair, DU got Oscar bump in its run which IB and OUTIH would never enjoyed.

Plus it opened on Christmas. 

1 hour ago, TMP said:

You could say the same thing about what HBO's doing with Watchmen, and that's shaping up quite nicely. The show-runners are novices, but that doesn't mean it won't be good especially since they'll be surrounded by veterans.

I stopped watching The Watchmen trailer the moment if was obvious they ditched the source. It just didn't look appealing to me without iconic characters. Also, Lindelof and "shaping up nicely" don't belong in the same sentence. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I stopped watching The Watchmen trailer the moment if was obvious they ditched the source. It just didn't look appealing to me without iconic characters. Also, Lindelof and "shaping up nicely" don't belong in the same sentence. :lol:

It's set 30 years into the future tho. And Lindelof and shaping up nicely do belong together when it comes to TV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Regarding OUATIH, Dunkirk received a 24.6% drop on its Sunday, which takes this to $40M as others have said. That's the easiest comparable at this point. I can see it swing a bit in either direction. I think Dunkirk. Dunkirk had a better Cinemascore, but the longer run time on Once may lead people to check it out on Sunday when they have more time. 

Ive got a shot to win the slashfilmcast summer movie wager game, but would need OUATIH to stay out of the top 10 for the summer by labour day. That means it needs to be below G:KOTM at $109.7M. I think it will be close.