Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Because of the cinemas closing at 8 pm from Monday in Ireland, practically every single screen is dedicated to Spider-Man today and tomorrow. No chance to re-book, automatic refunds, and the last shows next week will be at 5:30 pm. RAGE.

ODEON: In line with recent government guidance, our cinemas will be closing by 8pm everyday from Monday 20th December to 30th January.

20 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Because of the cinemas closing at 8 pm from Monday in Ireland, practically every single screen is dedicated to Spider-Man today and tomorrow. No chance to re-book, automatic refunds, and the last shows next week will be at 5:30 pm. RAGE.

They’ll just have to put on more shows earlier. 

Absolutely ridiculous. 
so basically for the whole of January in Ireland, if you work 9-5’ish you can’t go to the movies? Lol. What a farce. 

Is the virus more transmissible after 8pm or something? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

They’ll just have to put on more shows earlier. 

Absolutely ridiculous. 
so basically for the whole of January in Ireland, if you work 9-5’ish you can’t go to the movies? Lol. What a farce. 

Is the virus more transmissible after 8pm or something? 

I mean there is data that clearly shows that the night sky is better for the virus, i mean come on 👀

Edited by john2000
  • Haha 3

We’re meming but actually sunlight and vitamin D are both effective against the virus :hahaha:   

The thing is, if you’re indoors it doesn’t really matter… and if you’re outdoors it also doesn’t really matter because you’re safe either way.

The optimist in me would like to think that the UK govt will take a rational look at the situation before plunging us into another lockdown. Looks like hospitalisations are creeping up in London already - probably a sign of things to come for the rest of the country. On the other hand, of the many, many people I know who have Omicron right now - all of them have said it's super mild. I'm hopeful that if this is really the case (and given the relatively high level of boosters given already), another full lockdown is unnecessary. Instead, surely capacity limits/vaccine passports/work from home guidance would be the less drastic approach?

I've never given myself over to conspiracy theories much, but this all feels like a massive distraction in the face of a political crisis for Johnson (Xmas party sleaze and terrible by-election results).

Back on topic, I'll be seeing this at the Curzon Aldgate tomorrow at 11.40am. Its a great venue as it rarely sells out, even for tentpoles. Currently about 30% sold out. Today's showings are all about 90% sold through.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

Apparently vaccines didnt help much with omicron. Previous illness too. 2 doses of Astra Zeneca have negligible effect. No one is pretty sure about three. Omicron is a gamechanger.  Only in September Denmark government announced that Covis is not a serious threat anymore. And now they are closing everything for 4 weeks with 84% of people aged 5 and above vaccinated.

Despite lots of misinformation on media, vccines protections works on different levels, what Omicron surpassed is the infection protection, so yes 2 shots in most cases isn't enough to prevent infection. But 2 shots still is enough to prevent serious disease or death, there's already many data about that.

And 3 shots is pretty much confirmed to solve the problem, since they bring protection against infection back in similar rates of 2 shots for Delta.

More worried countries could do lockdowns to avoid the variant to spread, or to guarantee hospitals to not work over their capacity, but vaccines definitely still work to protect people lives.

Deaths will definitely grow up soon, but i bet 90% will be non vaccinated people, even if the media don't say it clearly.

These are the people who will make hospitals to crash, it's because of these people the variant exists, it's because of these people that lockdowns are being considered since that's the only way to give them some safe.

I'm saying this for months but at this point is more obvious everyday the only solution is the government to make people take their shots liking it or not. Personal freedom and opinions must end when it's starting to hurting other people freedom, it's absolutely ridiculous to lock vaccinated people all over again because some people act like they don't live in a society passing through a major health crisis.

• Like 6

I think governments are going to have to make that decision sooner or later of essentially giving up in terms of harsher measures and going towards a flu model where they basically take a stab of what might be swirling in the Winter and use those guesses to make that year's vaccine. One thing that isn't mentioned is oral treatments, one of  which are being rolled out via a study in the UK as well as extremely vulnerable people with another, Paxlovid due next year which IMO probably change how Covid is handled in the community.

11 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Despite lots of misinformation on media, vccines protections works on different levels, what Omicron surpassed is the infection protection, so yes 2 shots in most cases isn't enough to prevent infection. But 2 shots still is enough to prevent serious disease or death, there's already many data about that.

And 3 shots is pretty much confirmed to solve the problem, since they bring protection against infection back in similar rates of 2 shots for Delta.

More worried countries could do lockdowns to avoid the variant to spread, or to guarantee hospitals to not work over their capacity, but vaccines definitely still work to protect people lives.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/highly-vaccinated-countries-thought-were-154515101.html

Scientists caution that the knowledge of omicron remains imprecise. Denmark's virus modelers have many scenarios, not just one. But even in a middle-of-the-road scenario, Danish hospitals will soon face a daily flow of patients several times beyond what they've previously seen.

"This will overwhelm hospitals," Grove Krause said. "I don't have any doubt about it."

In her office building, where she works with a six-person modeling team, she tried to explain why omicron amounted to such a setback in the fight against the pandemic. She likened the virus to a flood, and described how vaccines, under earlier variants, had acted like two barrier walls safeguarding the health system. One barrier resulted from the vaccines' ability to reduce the probability of infection, keeping spread low. The other barrier stemmed from the diminished likelihood of severe sickness and death. Both barriers had some holes, but together, they assured the floodwaters never got too high.

But now, she said, the first barrier has been largely removed. Denmark's data shows people with two doses to be just as vulnerable to omicron infection as the unvaccinated. Those who've been boosted have better protection - a sign of hope - but meantime some three of four Danes have yet to receive a third dose, making the majority of the country vulnerable.

That dynamic, coupled with a variant far more transmissible than the one from last winter, means any Danish person is now dramatically more likely to come in contact with the virus - including the old and the frail, as Denmark's demographics skew older, like much of the West. The water will now flow through the holes in the second wall.

Denmark has 85% vaccinated. Apparently they are sure that 2 doses are not enough to prevent hospitals from overwhelming. They still provide some protection but not enough to prevent serious illness in many situations. Yes, they believe that the 3rd dose provide better protection. Still it will require some time to make shots and recieve actual boost in protection after them. 

The question is for how long and still it will be much less effective than in initial research. And we live in the global world, You might get 4th or 5th dose while billions of other people still have none, or one, or two. Those will interact, new variants will emerge. So the idea that we will be fine dont care about others will not work. Dont get me wrong, Any vaccine works and they are betther than nothing. Everyone should be vaccinated, But the whole idea that we will vaccinate 70-80%, drop all restrictions and return to normal life right now is dead. 

13 hours ago, solaris said:

I've never given myself over to conspiracy theories much, but this all feels like a massive distraction in the face of a political crisis for Johnson (Xmas party sleaze and terrible by-election results).

Distract from your blunders by floating an even bigger blunder? Sounds like a politician alright :sparta:

Great Saturday. It didn’t increase as much as I thought, but actually, thinking about it now, it makes sense. It has burnt off a lot of demand already, and, now that schools are out/a lot of people are off work for Christmas, people will go and see this in droves during the week too. Monday probably will drop sub 50% from Sunday. Although we are yet to see the impact any potential restrictions will have. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, Weird Alegion said:

35 OW, 35 total. Now those are some remarkable legs :sparta:

On 12/18/2021 at 8:58 AM, john2000 said:

More likely 40

Update from RTH below, 31

55 minutes ago, RthHome said:

prob FSS lc19m , lc 31m cume, sat around 7m

Thanks rth! 

$41.4m, around £31m.

Given the current circumstances, and also taking into account previous SM grosses, this is one of the most impressive openings ever. Can’t see this doing less than £65m at this point, with a shot at £75m, but all depends I guess on restrictions.

• Like 11