The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I don’t wanna go full conspiracy nut here, but I’m starting to think that @captainwondyful might like this movie a bit.

I went when they were playing it on IMAX for the 10th Anniversary Festival.  I saw the face on God on that screen.

I mean, it was just Joe Russo as Nick Fury's doctor, but the FEELING was there. :hahaha:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I went when they were playing it on IMAX for the 10th Anniversary Festival.  I saw the face on God on that screen.

I mean, it was just Joe Russo as Nick Fury's doctor, but the FEELING was there. :hahaha:

I IMAX-ed Iron Man, GotG, Winter Solider, IW and AM&TW (mostly since it was the same day as IW and I didn’t get to grab it IMAX the month before). If I could have only done one though, would have been WS easy.

• Like 1

And with this next write-up, destiny has arrived for the MCU films on this countdown!

9ijW0Hs.png

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Directed by The Russo Brothers

Based on "Thanos: The Infinity Gauntlet" by Jim Starling

(240 Points, 35 Votes)

ninja_infinity.jpg

"You should have gone for the head."

Number 1 Placements: 5

Top 2 Placements: 9

Top 4 Placements: 19

Top 6 Placements: 23

Top 10 Placements: 26

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Box Office: 678.8m (652.5m Adjusted lol)

Metacritic: 68

Synopsis: As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment, the fate of Earth and existence has never been more uncertain.

Critic Opinion: "Having spent a full 10 years constructing their palace from the ground up, there’s a sense of heroes growing and changing, hardened by unending war and loss. From Robert Downey Jr’s Tony Stark and Chris Hemsworth’s Thor (bubbling with a newfound maturity after his third franchise outing) to Zoe Saldana’s Gamora, the performances feel committed. These are actors who care about their characters, and crucially, care about the people who care about them.  Infinity War isn’t going to convert the cynics, but perhaps at this point, nothing can. It’s surprising to find such poetic meditations in blockbuster fare though – in a time where the Doomsday Clock inches ever closer to midnight, humanity wants desperately to believe that everything will work out just fine, and this film pokes at the question no one wants to ask: what if it doesn’t? For the hardcore fans, it should feel like pay dirt – and not just as welcome vindication for everyone who sat through Thor: The Dark World and Age of Ultron. This is a lovingly-crafted action opera that leans fully into the genre-bending nature of the MCU, and hopefully a sign that Marvel is moving forward, even with one eye looking fondly to the past." - Hannah Woodhead

User Opinion: " Infinity War is not...trash.  ... turns age old questions of faith ... one word to desribe it:... fun" - @IronJimbo

"Outstanding movie.  Not too many surprises but I'm guessing spiderman's death will traumatize some kids.  I guess when the Russo's said that it was a complete story with an ending they forgot to tell us the story ended with the bad guy winning. :sparta:IW was Thanos story.  He had a goal... we watched him work towards his goal... he completed his goal." - @AndyLL

Commentary: Coming in as the highest ranking film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and just barely out of the Top 3, is Avengers: Infinity War.  Normally, the second part of these 'two part movies' has been the more beloved one, as the first usually ends too open endedly to work.  What makes Infinity War unique in this regard is it ends perfectly, in fact (in my humble opinion) it even has a better ending than the actual ending from Endgame.  The convention prior to Infinity War was for superhero movies to end triumphantly, and Infinity War both follows that convention yet also utterly breaks it.  Featuring way too many cast members, and a protagonist with a terrible plan to build a utopian universe, Avengers: Infinity War somehow works quite well.  The perfect ending the MCU :ph34r:.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (8), 200m (7), 300m (6), 400m (6), 600m (2), 700m (1), 800m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (12), 10s (24)

Director Count: Russo (4), Miyazaki (2), Nolan (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Gunn (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Favreau (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), Mangold (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Whedon (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (15), Chris Evans (9), Iron Man (7), Captain America (6), Spider-Man (6), Batman (5), X-Men (5), Guardians of the Galaxy (4), Hulk (4), Thor (4), The Avengers (3), Black Panther (3), Captain Marvel (2), DCEU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Ant-Man (1), Deadpool (1), Doctor Strange (1), Dredd (1), Men in Black (1), Wonder Woman (1)

avengers-infinity-wars-still-7-1280px.jp

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The BOT list might be whack, but at least the GA has it straight :) 

of course GA would like infinity war they're biased, marvel shoots all their movies there.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

of course GA would like infinity war they're biased, marvel shoots all their movies there.

My god, it all makes sense now :ohmygod:  

I don't think any of the announced Phase 4 movies are shooting in GA, guess my 1B avg club is doomed :( 

Now would be a great time for me to remind all of you to go vote in the Most Anticipated Films thread this week:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/667-box-office-theorys-most-anticipated-films/page/377/#comments

There are currently only 8 comic book films eligible, but feel free to vote for all 8 and then try to come up with 2 other movies you might care about.

-Black Widow

-Wonder Woman 1984

-Joker

-Morbius

-Birds of Prey

-New Mutants

-The King's Man

-Bloodshot

Are those the only 8 coming out in the next 12 months? Am I forgetting one?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kitik said:

Now would be a great time for me to remind all of you to go vote in the Most Anticipated Films thread this week:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/667-box-office-theorys-most-anticipated-films/page/377/#comments

There are currently only 8 comic book films eligible, but feel free to vote for all 8 and then try to come up with 2 other movies you might care about.

-Black Widow

-Wonder Woman 1984

-Joker

-Morbius

-Birds of Prey

-New Mutants

-The King's Man

-Bloodshot

Are those the only 8 coming out in the next 12 months? Am I forgetting one?

Let's be honest, only 7 are gonna make it to release 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ecmtaFD.png

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

Directed by Sam Raimi

Based on "The Amazing Spider-Man" by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko

(240 Points, 40 Votes)

amien_spiderman2.jpg

"Woah, he just stole that guy's pizza!"

Number 1 Placements: 3

Top 2 Placements: 8

Top 4 Placements: 14

Top 6 Placements: 17

Top 10 Placements: 25

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar

Box Office: 373.6m (542m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 83

Synopsis: Peter Parker is an unhappy man: after two years of fighting crime as Spider-Man, his life has begun to fall apart. The girl he loves is engaged to someone else, his grades are slipping, he cannot keep any of his jobs, and on top of it, the newspaper Daily Bugle is attacking him viciously, claiming that Spider-Man is a criminal. He reaches the breaking point and gives up the crime fighter's life, once and for all. But after a failed fusion experiment, eccentric and obsessive scientist Dr. Otto Octavius is transformed into super villain Doctor Octopus, Doc Ock for short, having four long tentacles as extra hands. Peter guesses it might just be time for Spider-Man to return, but would he act upon it?

Critic Opinion: "The 2002 box-office smash Spider-Man didn't just warrant a sequel; it demanded one. Sam Raimi's superhero epic was a textbook example of how to bring a beloved comic book to the big screen with its spirit intact, just as its terrific follow-up illustrates how a sequel can build and expand on its predecessor rather than simply cannibalizing it.  Simultaneously funnier, darker, and more emotional than its forebear, Spider-Man 2 opens with its web-slinging protagonist (Tobey Maguire, deftly balancing action and angst) at a low ebb. Tired of his indecisiveness, his would-be girlfriend Kirsten Dunst has moved on to a less conflicted suitor. Maguire's gig as a freelance photographer is constantly in danger, while professor Dylan Baker views him as brilliant but lazy, little realizing that Maguire's extracurricular activities involve more than the usual bong-huffing and channel-surfing." - Nathan Rabin, The AV Club

User Opinion: "A+, best superhero film ever made" - @Ethan Hunt

"Not just a great film in its genre, but just a great film period." - @DAR

"It's a Spider-Man movie." - @CoolioD1

Commentary: Sneaking into the number 3 spot just barely over Infinity War is the sequel to the hit Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2.  Spider-Man 2 takes everything that made the first movie work, and makes it more personal.  It remains as silly and campy as the original Raimi film, but it manages to take a much more personal look at its hero which helps to elevate it over the origin story nature of the first film.  Also, while still maintaining the silly fun, it also manages to darken itself a bit more than the original, making the film easier to invest in and giving it a more timeless nature compared to the original.  Despite all of the complaints, the Maguire and Raimi Spider-Man's still remain the most beloved of the live-action takes of this webby hero!

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (9), 200m (7), 300m (6), 400m (6), 600m (2), 700m (1), 800m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (13), 10s (24)

Director Count: Russo (4), Miyazaki (2), Nolan (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Gunn (2), Raimi (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Favreau (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), Mangold (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Whedon (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (15), Chris Evans (9), Iron Man (7), Spider-Man (7), Captain America (6), Batman (5), X-Men (5), Guardians of the Galaxy (4), Hulk (4), Thor (4), The Avengers (3), Black Panther (3), Captain Marvel (2), DCEU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Ant-Man (1), Deadpool (1), Doctor Strange (1), Dredd (1), Men in Black (1), Wonder Woman (1)

hero_EB20040629REVIEWS406300301AR.jpg

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1