Eric Duncan

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

2 hours ago, RRA said:

He’s got all the leverage in the world ATM and if Sony offers him RDJ money, he’ll do it. 

Holland is not RDJ. He does not have the leverage RDJ had. They can easily go Miles Morales road or bring back Garfield for a while or any number of possibilities. Holland is a Spider-Man, but he is not THE Spider-Man. RDJ defined Iron Man. 

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

Holland is not RDJ. He does not have the leverage RDJ had. They can easily go Miles Morales road or bring back Garfield for a while or any number of possibilities. Holland is a Spider-Man, but he is not THE Spider-Man. RDJ defined Iron Man. 

Garfield aint coming back to full-time franchise mode when he's doing his little art/awards bait things. He'll treat Spidey like we treat our exes: just because you might hit them up for a booty call once in a while doesn't mean you're back together with them. I mean I know people are being goofy now demanding TASM 3 on Twitter now because where were they just two weeks ago?

Holland has been playing him for the last 5 years. He's cemented himself as the live-action Spider-Man of the moment. His last two solo Spidey joints made/will make a billion bucks. NWH (I'll admit) cleverly capped a trilogy (or really a 5 movie long "Act 1") and excitingly set the stage for another potential trilogy of tales without feeling stale. It's like how Thor Ragnarok made people more excited for more Thor stuff, not "OK time to wrap this up." The same reason why Sony won't tell Holland to jump off a cliff is the same reason why Sony and Disney ultimately cut a deal for NWH when back in 2019 they both publicly told the other to eat penile tissue: Costs/Benefits analysis.  Why derail the gravy train which might endanger said Sony executives' jobs? 

Granted I wouldn't be shocked if an actual flesh and blood Miles Morales shows up in this trilogy and set the stage for Holland's own long term RDJ-level exit. If we keep getting MCU Spidey movies (assuming Sony/Disney don't have a $ falling out which is always a legit possibility when these production deals aren't long term) every 2 years has been the case since Homecoming, the last of this new trilogy would come out in 2027 or 11 years after Civil War. Iron Man got cooked like fried chicken in Endgame, which came out...11 years after the first Iron Man movie. Huh. 

If we want to badger about semantics, OK I might've been flippant in saying Holland will get RDJ-level paychecks of 30-40 whatever millions per movie that dude was making by the end.  But it will be at the least a guaranteed big time raise that would be considered A-list money (however that's defined in the 2020s.) To quote Goodfellas, Holland is telling Sony "Fuck you pay me!" 

46 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I really hope this is it for Holland. I don't want him sullied by any Sony projects. He should go out on top. He's up there with Tobey as the best to ever done the outfit.

His upcoming Uncharted from Sony looks sus. Anyway I'm curious what upcoming Spidey-related projects he'll appear in that isn't produced by King Kevin. Might not be Venom 3 as I thought just a few months ago. 

4 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

I have a feeling we are about to start seeing Spider-Man overload.  Sony is going to green light so many projects. 

Oh we're already on the way, what with Venom/Morbius/Kraven and whatever else is coming down that Sony Spidey-Verse (or whateer its called) pipeline before we get into (1) live-action Spider-Man shenanigans and (2) obviously the cartoon stuff. Soon folks online will complain about Spidey overexposure like is done about Batman....and they might be right. 

Im pretty sure Tom will stay on for another trilogy plus doing Avengers team up movie and exit after that. 

I would like to see Mile Morales being introduced in the 2nd of these movies and then the third movie can be Peter and Miles working together with Peter serving a mentor role. Kind of like what we got with the Spider-Man and Miles Morales games. And then from there onwards Peter will retire happily ever after (until Sony/Marvel wants to make a ton of money and make him do a cameo ) and Miles will become full time spidey. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Im pretty sure Tom will stay on for another trilogy plus doing Avengers team up movie and exit after that. 

I would like to see Mile Morales being introduced in the 2nd of these movies and then the third movie can be Peter and Miles working together with Peter serving a mentor role. Kind of like what we got with the Spider-Man and Miles Morales games. And then from there onwards Peter will retire happily ever after (until Sony/Marvel wants to make a ton of money and make him do a cameo ) and Miles will become full time spidey. 

Yeah that is most likely what it's going to happen, he will be here for another trilogy but with Miles being introduced to take his place, he literally said he would like to be his mentor last week.

Edited by Fox20

There's so much comic college and adult Spidey material from the comics, there will be another Tom Holland trilogy...I actually see Miles being introduced in the 3rd movie of the next trilogy, and then having Peter cameo or team up into Miles movie (aka movie #7)...

I could write the villains and plots right now for 2 of the 3 next movies before you do another trilogy ending team up.  

On that point, without being spoilery, there's one of the most famous villains not named Kraven who has not been done yet in Spidey...and he just so happens to be available for that path...in a way that would now rip a Spidey's heart out, which is how you make the best Spidey's...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

There is undoubtably a ton of Spider-Man material to sustain another trilogy (although if we’re not getting proper MCU versions of characters like Norman Osborn and Doc Ock, that would limit things), but it still feels like overkill to give Tom Holland a total of six Spider-Man movies, on top of the other Marvel movies he’s been in. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

There is undoubtably a ton of Spider-Man material to sustain another trilogy (although if we’re not getting proper MCU versions of characters like Norman Osborn and Doc Ock, that would limit things), but it still feels like overkill to give Tom Holland a total of six Spider-Man movies, on top of the other Marvel movies he’s been in. 

Why?  We can actually follow Spidey's arc the way the comics do, as he ages...

By casting so young, the studios gave themselves the option to finally pay off some great comic arcs, so I hope they are coming...

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Why?  We can actually follow Spidey's arc the way the comics do, as he ages...

By casting so young, the studios gave themselves the option to finally pay off some great comic arcs, so I hope they are coming...

We’ve had eight live action Spider-Man movies over the span of 20 years, and a series of Spider-Man animated films running concurrently with the MCU. There is such a thing as audience fatigue.

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

We’ve had eight live action Spider-Man movies over the span of 20 years, and a series of Spider-Man animated films running concurrently with the MCU. There is such a thing as audience fatigue.

But you get fatigue whether you recast or keep the same character - with as HUGELY popular as Tom Holland is in the role, it would be financial suicide to keep making live action Spider-man movies, and yet drop him out of those movies, right now...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

But you get fatigue whether you recast or keep the same character - with as HUGELY popular as Tom Holland is in the role, it would be financial suicide to keep making live action Spider-man movies, and yet drop him out of those movies, right now...

In an ideal world, Spidey would take a break from live action, but I realize that because of Sony’s contract with Marvel, they have to keep making Spider-Man movies, or else they lose the rights, so I suppose that isn’t realistic. 

Looking back Tom Holland spiderman trilogy, it is amazing to see how each entry contain some novelty and freshness without behaving like a straight sequel like a lot of MCU sequel. HC was a fresh start for the 3rd reboot under MCU after debuting in CW while the 2nd one ignite some excitement due to its direct attachment to EG's aftermath and NWH teases the multiverse concept. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jonwo said:

The Clone Saga would be an interesting one to adapt but I'm not sure they'd want to bring in Ben Reilly as a character and it'd be confusing to have Holland play two different characters. 

I feel like a Clone Saga film would be insane if they temporarily brought back dead people from Peter's past like Tony, Mysterio and 

Spoiler

Aunt May

to screw with him and Nat to screw with a guest star like Yelena.

Of course, Feige, RDJ and ScarJo would all need to be convinced. And Spidey could do with a break from the Avengers so this could be used for a film in the third trilogy or the last one in the next trilogy.

Edited by Spidey Freak