Eric Duncan

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

2 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

What total $$$ does NWH have to make to be considered one of the more impressive runs of the century in your guys' opinion?

It’s already there due to all the COVID problems in 2020 and 2021. Gigantic opening and headed for solid legs over the holidays. It’s all icing on the cake in this COVID environment. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You guys expecting meltdowns is pretty funny when more people will have meltdowns over Don't Look Up getting nominated than No Way Home lol.

All people should. That was a terrible movie. At least Spider-Man with semi entertaining. 

tbh The only meltdown I forsee from me this season is if they nominate no way home for VFX over the Eternals. Because no way home looks like they realized they only had a month to finish before a potential industry strike, so they were just sticking shit in Photoshop. Whereas Eternals third 3rd act is CINEMA. 

I don’t particularly care about the Oscar race either way, but I do find the Lord of the rings reference a little worthy of a side eye. Where was that three years ago when you needed to campaign for Endgame?

But is like @TalismanRing said. It has nothing to do with the movie or the movie quality anymore. It’s strictly about campaigning and who The Academy decides they wanna be BFFs with that year. 

• Like 1

NWH's biggest obstacle to a nomination is bloody preferential ballot. That shit really fucks up everything. If it was normal Top 10 than it would be much easier. But very tough with the preferential ballot. Google what that shit is and you'll understand. I can't explain it myself.

2018 had Lady Gaga both nominated for Best Actress and performing. I think that contributed to a slight jump because she and ASIB had a legit shot at winning, though Close was favored by pundits and Colman upset thanks to BAFTA. 

7 hours ago, Cap said:

All people should. That was a terrible movie. At least Spider-Man with semi entertaining. 

tbh The only meltdown I forsee from me this season is if they nominate no way home for VFX over the Eternals. Because no way home looks like they realized they only had a month to finish before a potential industry strike, so they were just sticking shit in Photoshop. Whereas Eternals third 3rd act is CINEMA. 

I don’t particularly care about the Oscar race either way, but I do find the Lord of the rings reference a little worthy of a side eye. Where was that three years ago when you needed to campaign for Endgame?

But is like @TalismanRing said. It has nothing to do with the movie or the movie quality anymore. It’s strictly about campaigning and who The Academy decides they wanna be BFFs with that year. 

As you know the Academy has always been…the Academy, but they seem to be increasingly tone deaf even by their standards like that #MeToo themed year when they voted Kobe Bryant an Oscar.

People keep bringing up LOTR but tbh I don’t think ROTK would win now in this Academy environment. 

Edited by RRA

33 minutes ago, RRA said:

As you know the Academy has always been…the Academy, but they seem to be increasingly tone deaf even by their standards like that #MeToo themed year when they voted Kobe Bryant an Oscar.

People keep bringing up LOTR but tbh I don’t think ROTK would win now in this Academy environment. 

I'm not even sure how many of the nominees that year would've still been nominated, aside from Mystic River. It was the only Social Issues movie. I couldn't imagine that happening today.

Just now, AniNate said:

I think there's too much resentment of the MCU business strategy in Academy circles for any Marvel movie to get a large number of votes.

Marvel didn't kill home video sales or invent streaming, so if that were the case their resentment is misplaced.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2021 at 5:01 PM, CoolioD1 said:

it is kinda funny that THR interviewed Feige, Rothman, Pascal, Holland for the case for why Spider-Man should win the Oscar. but nothing from the film's actual director. maybe he really doesn't exist after all.

Watts is busy getting a few people together...

9 hours ago, Cap said:

If Endgame came out in this environment it would have had a much better chance of being nominated than No Way Home does. 

But I digress it's still unlikely either way.

• Like 1