Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

COme on, your're better then that.

And the biggest problems I have had in theaters during a movie recently were idiots with cell phones during a movie. And most of them were  pretty young.

Better than what?  Pointing out that my audience skewed older women?  Since that was the point of the post.

That's like saying omg Lion King was amazing OW. Nah not really. Overall domestically it was kinda average to below average given the expectations. This make sense given it's an average film. I offered to take my sick kid to it again today and she no thanks hah.

Edited by cdsacken

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

"Better than every single MCU film". "One of the few films I'd rate a 10 of 10" "actor of the year locked up". 

What the hell does quality have to do with it? That is such a nonsensical statement. Christ, this cbm tribalism is tiring.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

What the hell does quality have to do with it? That is such a nonsensical statement. Christ, this cbm tribalism is tiring.

Nominally the number (90) isn't amazing nor is the performance respective to the long term tracking given the world-wide accalim from critics and fans alike. Tribalism would indicate I prefer MCU OR DC which I don't. I absolutely loved Batman Begins, The Dark Night, Spiderman 1/2, WW, EG, Captain America etc

Edited by cdsacken

Again, as always the yipping about openings being "amazing" for some and also "meh or average" for others has nothing to do with reality but with unchecked expectations. When the top of the crop behavior wise is expected instead of seen as a surprise its no wonder some yip. If we are blessed with a 100m opening its great, if its 90m+ than its still great given expectations everywhere else but the crazies here. 

• Like 6

since its budget is lower than deadpool, it will end up as lowest budgeted movie to open > 100m. That would be a mean feat. Until the hype over a month ago after initial reviews came in, I was thinking venom numbers. Now its going to have a great run. I wont be surprised by 3x legs as well.

Overseas as well its breaking out in most markets it has opened so far. So its a  humongous success for WB who I hope will release more such flicks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Again, as always the yipping about openings being "amazing" for some and also "meh or average" for others has nothing to do with reality but with unchecked expectations. When the top of the crop behavior wise is expected instead of seen as a surprise its no wonder some yip. If we are blessed with a 100m opening its great, if its 90m+ than its still great given expectations everywhere else but the crazies here. 

90+ is great but not amazing I agree. 100+ though....hard to really say anything but amazing. Really thought it needed like 15.5 or 16m MD but not so sure given the ever increasing numbers. Would have thought it would be more front loaded. Appears I will be wrong.

• Like 1

disappointing numbers are usually up to personal expectations/predictions really, when I walked out of EG for the first time I wanted it to make 3 billion and it didn't therefore it's a disappointment in that regard.

There's no need to get worked up about personal expectations/disappointments.

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

since its budget is lower than deadpool, it will end up as lowest budgeted movie to open > 100m. That would be a mean feat. Until the hype over a month ago after initial reviews came in, I was thinking venom numbers. Now its going to have a great run. I wont be surprised by 3x legs as well.

Overseas as well its breaking out in most markets it has opened so far. So its a  humongous success for WB who I hope will release more such flicks.

Whats Joker budget?

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

since its budget is lower than deadpool, it will end up as lowest budgeted movie to open > 100m. That would be a mean feat.

Deadpool (about as expensive) and King of "low"-budgets It will keep those records - both R-rated too.

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

28.7 true Friday would be pretty insane after 13.3 MD.

Venom did $22M after $10M, why would it be "insane"? Because Joker opened higher and at 4pm?

Edited by MrGlass2

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I thought deadline recently reported the budget to be 64M rather than the initial 55M number that was thrown around? DP's budget is 58M.

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I thought deadline recently reported the budget to be 64M rather than the initial 55M number that was thrown around? DP's budget is 58M.

Ok. I got it wrong. Google showed 55m to me. Either way its ginormous success considering the budget.

Edit: of course Reynolds got huge backend pay for Deadpool. Not sure if Phoenix would have netted similar deal(unlikely considering their relative star power).

Edited by keysersoze123

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ok. I got it wrong. Google showed 55m to me. Either way its ginormous success considering the budget.

Edit: of course Reynolds got huge backend pay for Deadpool. Not sure if Phoenix would have netted similar deal(unlikely considering their relative star power).

Unlikely Reynolds had serious creative control over Deadpool.

Adult oriented film is one of Warner Bros' strengths and it's an area they do really well in with a few exceptions.

In terms of a follow up to Joker, I think Lex Luthor would be interesting but tougher to do as a film.

Just as I thought theaters are adding more late night shows in NY. I see 1230AM show at Empire and AMC NewPort where most shows have sold out or almost has added another show at 1145PM. This will continue and will be similar in big cities in west coast. I am sure next update from RTH will be higher.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2