TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

14 minutes ago, jking123 said:

marvel fans and general audiences will like it better I think

Eternals was one of the most streamed movies of 2022 as well. I think people still somehow underestimate Marvels appeal with general audiences, it'd take a lot more than one or two misfires to derail it now.

Idk why people expect WoM to be a lot better when it's WoM hasn't been radically different from the past couple MCU movies (except spiderman) in the foreign territories its released so far in. And it's imdb start seems to be low too and I don't think there's a reason to review bomb this.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5

Idk if you look at the RT scores of MCU films, they almost always align with the general consensus. The only two times where it didn't were Doctor Strange (Too high) and Infinity War (Too low) and even then both of those were still fairly close. Eternals, the only rotten MCU movie, had awful WOM and streaming figures don't really mean much. A lot of people watched it on streaming since they were told not to waste their time with it.

EDIT for context here's how I'd break down the RT/MCU correlation with examples

90% or higher-Beloved (Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, GoTG, Endgame, NWH)
80-89%-Incredibly well liked but a bit more debate on its quality (Cap 1, Ant-Man 1, GoTG Vol 2, WF)
70-79%-Divisive or meh reception. Some who love it, some who hate it or just a 'That was fine' reaction (Iron Man 2 & 3, Age of Ultron, Captain Marvel, Black Widow)
60-69%-Mostly disliked, will have some defenders but definitely the minority. (TIH, Thor 2, Thor 4)
Sub-60%-Flat out disaster, mainly disliked. (Only example of this is Eternals)

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

Didn't expect reviews like this.  Honestly Marvel has too much going on their plate right now.

Dial it back and concentrate on quality. 

Hi fellow DC fan. Even 'Flash' looks a lot better than this.

5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

It's funny how some are acting now like he is a serious villain. MODOK always has been a meme even in the comics and from what I've seen the movie goes for that.

Yeah, MODOK is very rarely played seriously. you have to go all in when a character has a design like that.

Like he's a giant head in a chair. He's going to look like a giant head in a chair. If you just go halfway with that kind of thing you end up with Hector Hammond from Green Lantern.

hector-hammond.jpg

• Like 1

Box office-wise in phase 4, "MCU is dying" was limited to Wakanda Forever; all other phase 4 sequels did better than their predecessors in equivalent markets. In phases 5 and 6, the "MCU is dying" will be limited to The Marvels, CA:NWO, KD, and SW; all other movies will either do the same as or better than their predecessors.

14 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Box office-wise in phase 4, "MCU is dying" was limited to Wakanda Forever; all other phase 4 sequels did better than their predecessors in equivalent markets. In phases 5 and 6, the "MCU is dying" will be limited to The Marvels, CA:NWO, KD, and SW; all other movies will either do the same as or better than their predecessors.

Is this ironic? Cause that is like, all mcu films currently announced that have a predecessor minus guardians LOL. Can pretty safely slot in a spidey film that will 99% be lower than NWH but that is pretty expected.

We'll see if QM can match AM2, anyway.

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

think most people in some parts of Asia prefer Eternals over Shang Chi.

Shang Chi's 3rd act was atrocious..

Eternal deserved the poor reviews, poor wom and Boxoffice. Awful film that will forever leave a stain on Marvel legacy. Shang Chi was the complete opposite.

13 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Is this ironic? Cause that is like, all mcu films currently announced that have a predecessor minus guardians LOL. Can pretty safely slot in a spidey film that will 99% be lower than NWH but that is pretty expected.

We'll see if QM can match AM2, anyway.

Thunderbolts is a sequel to BW. Blade, DP3, and F4 all have a predecessor, not a MCU, though.

6 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Thunderbolts is a sequel to BW. Blade, DP3, and F4 all have a predecessor, not a MCU, though.

I mean yeah fair enough if you count those I guess, but counting blade/f4 is cheating. Deadpool wasnt really MCU either before but I guess we can count it since atleast it is the same cast (this obviously will increase huge with Hugh, super safe prediction, could even be a billy grosser perhaps). Thunderbolts and BW as same franchise seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Edited by JustLurking