sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

I have a feeling Phoenix will win it.

Not only he deserves it for the performance itself but he has a lot going on for him...long overdue in a career best performance (or st least right up there), he has the audience on his side and the academy definetly can't afford the bad mouthing if he doesn't win etc. Plus, if Joker won't make it to Best Picture then that will be the consolation  prize.

41 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Not only he deserves it for the performance itself but he has a lot going on for him...long overdue in a career best performance (or st least right up there), he has the audience on his side and the academy definetly can't afford the bad mouthing if he doesn't win etc. Plus, if Joker won't make it to Best Picture then that will be the consolation  prize.

agreed.  i hope Phoenix and Brad Pitt win, even tho Pitt really had nothing too hard to do (just walk around), but it's his time. I want him to have an oscar for acting

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

The Academy doesn't really care about the reactions to the winners. Just last year, Green Book won despite controversy. And I don't trust the "long overdue" factor anymore. Just ask Glenn Close. Perhaps because there are so many new members of the Academy and those junior members have different ways of judging than the senior members.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe Phoenix will win it because he is just that good.  

He was incredible. Who was better? who is supposed to be his main rival for the statuette ?

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I could see him winning, best picture seems unlikely.