Eric Quinn

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, ViewerAnon said:

I emailed them from my boxofficesource@gmail.com account. Very trustworthy. They had to run with it.

You should have given then 49-55, we’d have had a much more “fun” night

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, baumer said:

then it's you that doesn't understand the box office. The Last Jedi is legs are horrible because it really divided a lot of fans. The legs on this one could easily be better which would allow it to gross more.

It's hard to tell with the GA but so far I doubt it has better legs. Seems like the most common reaction is "meh" not "holy shit that was amazing you have to see it".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

@Baumer this number is why we at least rely on the tracking thread somewhat heavily anymore as its pretty darn close to what @keysersoze123 assumed based on the data he has. 

Tracking has changed a ton from the old days for people like you and I. 

Hence why Jedi Jet can make the comment he does with some credibility. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Its the same as our sources telling us based on data that unless its skewed that number isnt possible. Sources may not be able to give a clear xx.xx type number but they do give a range. 

That being said, there are times I think deadline makes it up in order to hit submit by a time deadline. 

Deadline Editor:  "You got 44-48 minutes to get this in"

Deadline Writer:  "Bingo"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

I’m disappointed with TROS, but it’s a very safe movie, packed with fun scenes and nonstop action, GP will probably like it way more than TLJ.

So this could easily have good WOM and Match TLJ numbers even with the lower debut... 86% audience score on RT, similar ratings compared with FFH / Shazam on PostTrack, it seems pretty good to me

OS is another story, i’m expecting $ 550M after initial numbers, so WW I’m pretty certain it won’t come close to TLJ. 

4 minutes ago, REC said:

I'm skeptical of all the numbers, we're dealing with projections still.  Of course I shouldn't be surprised if it does have a successful OW, but conversely I don't think anyone pulling for this movie to succeed should be surprised if it collapses bizarrely.  I'm dying to know how this sorts out.

Also there's already conspiracies forming among the detractors of this movie that the RT audience score is being flooded with bots and fake accounts to boost it up.  There's no way I know to prove or disprove thinking like this, but if it holds higher than the critic score I think that will be a suspicion going forward in that community.

All this crap with RT critic and audience scores seems to cut both ways... if it doesn't fit your particular belief then it must be fake somehow.  I bristle every time someone claims a negative audience score must be getting review bombed somehow, these accusations are out of control.  It's really too bad this is as good as our critiquing system gets, that we can't even get a consensus around the consensus.

And why would Disney do that?, because they think the general movie going audience is sat at home on their ipads desperatly refreshing the Rotten Tomsatoes audience score?. I think they would of paid for better reviews before that lol.

The fact is that the film is fun, looks amazing, is action packed, and simply a much better film than TLJ in none neckbeard SW fans minds. The general movie going public are going to lap this up, its that kind of film.

Sure the opening weekend might be a touch muted with the mixed reviews, but its legs are going to be better than TLJ imo, wom is simply going to be better. You can already see the effect on other sites, i have seen plenty of 'i'm not a hardcore SW fan, but i really liked the film'. I bet thats going to be the general concensous between casual fans and the general public. Something TLJ didnt have.

If you asked me at the beginning of the year what I thought my favorite big budget blockbuster of 2019 was going to end up being, I never would have thought it’d have been Endgame.

And I only found Endgame to be about a B.  Such a disappointing year for big budget tentpoles.

7 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

And why would Disney do that?, because they think the general movie going audience is sat at home on their ipads desperatly refreshing the Rotten Tomsatoes audience score?. I think they would of paid for better reviews before that lol.

The fact is that the film is fun, looks amazing, is action packed, and simply a much better film than TLJ in none neckbeard SW fans minds. The general movie going public are going to lap this up, its that kind of film.

Sure the opening weekend might be a touch muted with the mixed reviews, but its legs are going to be better than TLJ imo, wom is simply going to be better. You can already see the effect on other sites, i have seen plenty of 'i'm not a hardcore SW fan, but i really liked the film'. I bet thats going to be the general concensous between casual fans and the general public. Something TLJ didnt have.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how it plays out. Hopefully it's not a boring run.