Eric the Ape

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

48 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Damn man, usually we agree but I have to disagree here. Driver was outstanding of course, but Pheonix as Joker was on a whole other level.

Fair enough, they're both phenomenal, and Phoenix is definitely a more flashy performance, but Driver I felt just perfectly captured the heartbreak and trauma (as did Johanssen).

My parents also went through a rough divorce this year, and I think seeing Driver just made me see a lot of my own dad, and I know first hand what that is like and I just thought Driver was absolutely perfect with the material. Not to bag on Phoenix

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Not sure if already posted but...Avatar's getting a re-release (it's just a $9M gap anyway between it and Endgame anyway)

Cameron believes "Avatar," which celebrates its anniversary Wednesday, will be restored to its place atop the box-office mountain over "Endgame" through an inevitable rerelease, part of a larger plan to rekindle global audience love before the movie's first sequel, planned for release Dec. 17, 2021. "I think it’s a certainty," says Cameron of "Avatar" eventually passing "Avengers" in theaters. "But let’s give 'Endgame' their moment and let’s celebrate that people are going to the movie theater." 

"I don’t want to sound snarky after I took the high road (by offering congratulations)," he says. "But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error." 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/12/18/avatar-10th-anniversary-james-cameron-predicts-beating-avengers-endgame/2680090001/

Lol at his last comment

Edited by Royce
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Royce said:

In other news, to no one's surprise...Avatar's getting a re-release (it's just a $9M gap anyway between it and Endgame anyway)

“Avatar is getting a rerelease” and “Cameron thinks Avatar will get a rerelease” are not actually the same thing

• Haha 2

53.75 (+7.5%)

45.70 (-15%)

= 189.45

Have a hunch Deadline will overestimate true Fri as the day will be more loaded than TLJ's a week prior while TFA was saturated running on even higher levels throughout.

Going under their true Fri by 5%,

51.1 (+7.5%)

43.4 (-15%)

= 182.0

Spoiler

edit:

Going up by 5%,

= 196.9

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric loves Rey said:

I guess that puts Jumanji above 300M, right? If so, It Chapter Two would be the only movie to be in the 200M vicinity, and...I don't know how to feel about that.

Probably not 27 or 28. Even 30 and it’s pretty dubious. 

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

Disney’s Frozen 2 still strong in weekend 5 with $14.3M

Quite realistic prediction.  I calculated 14M from the Thursday number.

3.8 (+100%)

5.5 (+45%)

4.7 (-15%)

Optimistic scenario would be:

4 (+110%)

6 (+50%)

5.4 (-10%)

15.4 weekend

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

I guess that puts Jumanji above 300M, right? If so, It Chapter Two would be the only movie to be in the 200M vicinity, and...I don't know how to feel about that.

If it adds 6x the 2nd weekend to it's cume then 27-30 gives it about 265-285 dom.

Adding 7x more gives it 290-315.

ITSV added 7.6x it's 2nd weekend.

25 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sorry for delay in replying as been out with a mate....but yeah, no. 

The first SPIDER-MAN was in its third weekend having broken box office records left, right and centre. So how was that not competition? The weekend Clones opened Spider-Man made over $40 million - which would adjust to $60 million plus now. It played all summer long. It 100% has an effect if you have the biggest movie of the year that appeals to the same demographs, fighting in the same marketplace. 

so....Clones may well have made more than it did had Spidey not been around (that film was massively anticipated). 
To say TROS should increase from TLJ because ROTS did from Clones just isn’t a fair comparison.  I’d like to see how ROTS might have fared coming out near Spidey 2!

ROTJ increasing on ESB? Different time for the way movies are released. You can’t compare 1983 with 2002 for blockbuster competition, never mind 2019. 

saying TROS is a disappointment if it doesn’t outgross TLJ based on previous trilogy increases just doesn’t add up to me. 

You have to look at the trend line. TFA > TLJ > TRoS across the board is what appears to be happening. That's pretty definitive. This is a franchise in obvious decline, with eroding GA interest. Do either of the previous SW trilogies explain away this? No, they don't.

The overall run for AotC was weaker than that of RotS, not just the OW. While Spider-Man can explain part of that, it doesn't explain it all. People in the target demo for both of those see lots of movies in the summer, they would have caught AotC at some point. Also, RotS had a total gate that was 88% of TPM's. AotC comes in at 70% of what TPM made. TLJ only comes in at 66% of TFA, so again we see weakness in this third trilogy. Do we really think TRoS is going to end up in the 823M domestic range? If it doesn't that's another indicator that interest isn't there.

TFA showed what kind of numbers a highly anticipated SW film can pull in the current market. It is very easy to conclude, then, that this new trilogy is not well received and not well liked. Installments 2 and 3 did not even come close to reaching the heights of the first, and all points are trending in the wrong direction. This franchise needs to be scaled back and spread out. Fatigue has set in and quality matters.

47 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Moderation:- @Lordmandeep we have a spoiler thread to ask questions about what happens in the movie itself. Also guys don't quote spoiler posts, report them. Any other and I will handout thread bans

SIR YES SIR !

15 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

“Avatar is getting a rerelease” and “Cameron thinks Avatar will get a rerelease” are not actually the same thing

Does Disney also want to make as much money from Avatar?  Yes.  Yes they do

29 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Pretty crazy that Endgame's Sunday might be larger than a preview-boosted opening day for this movie. Endgame's opening is just insane, lol

Endgame OW records won't be broken in the 2020's.

Even the return of RDJ in Avengers 7  wouldn't do the trick IMO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Pretty crazy that Endgame's Sunday might be larger than a preview-boosted opening day for this movie. Endgame's opening is just insane, lol

Endgame broke the record by 38% and over 100 million dollars.

I think it will stand for a long time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

Does Disney also want to make as much money from Avatar?  Yes.  Yes they do

Certainly it’s possible. It’s not too hard to see the potential business sense. I was just pointing out that the article they posted is not actually a confirmation of anything, which they seemed to be making it out as.

• Like 1