Eric the Fall Guy

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Ranting Youtubers had a feast this year with Endgame Theories, Season 8 Got Takedowns and Ranting about TROS. 

It’s almost like their entire business model is whining about things, making their audience angry, and then feeding off the audience’s anger to whine about more things!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think it will stand for a long time. 

Could it have a good change of becoming the longest OW title holder ? (because now that Lion King got released, if it survive Avatar 2 it could stay there until a new Avengers team get build and 2-3 avengers movie get made and the concluding one and even that....), there is a limit on how many days they can put in OW.

I cannot find the timeline of the opening weekend record holder but from memory it tended to change quite fast when a new ceiling got broken, I guess that list was on the old Box office mojo.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

It’s almost like their entire business model is whining about things, making their audience angry, and then feeding off the audience’s anger to whine about more things!

yeah Rian Johnson made lots of money for ranting youtubers lol 

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I've been thinking 185 since estimates came out for previews last night and I'm sticking to that. 

Deadline's 190-195 seems really bullish if true Friday is only 50.

Kids out of school next week should soften Sunday drop?

5 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I've been thinking 185 since estimates came out for previews last night and I'm sticking to that. 

Deadline's 190-195 seems really bullish if true Friday is only 50.

Not really.  TFA did $62m Tru Friday and $68m on Sat

If TROS makes $50m on Friday it's already less front loaded than TFA . If just follows TFA % rise and drops from Sat & Sun it would hit $190m

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

Kids out of school next week should soften Sunday drop?

Yeah, maybe. I just don't feel like there is a big enough zeitgeist around this movie to come that close to 200.

Second weekend drop will be much more interesting anyway, barring a Saturday implosion there is basically a super safe range of 175-195 for the opening at this point.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Could it have a good change of becoming the longest OW title holder ? (because now that Lion King got released, if it survive Avatar 2 it could stay there until a new Avengers team get build and 2-3 avengers movie get made and the concluding one and even that....), there is a limit on how many days they can put in OW.

I cannot find the timeline of the opening weekend record holder but from memory it tended to change quite fast when a new ceiling got broken, I guess that list was on the old Box office mojo.

JP2 had to longest, 4.5 years. Endgame will beat that without too much trouble I think.  

http://web.archive.org/web/20190428191554/https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fair enough, they're both phenomenal, and Phoenix is definitely a more flashy performance, but Driver I felt just perfectly captured the heartbreak and trauma (as did Johanssen).

My parents also went through a rough divorce this year, and I think seeing Driver just made me see a lot of my own dad, and I know first hand what that is like and I just thought Driver was absolutely perfect with the material. Not to bag on Phoenix

That's rough man. I'm sorry to hear that, and I can totally see why the performances resonated with you especially.

That fight scene in the apartment was gut wrenching, but also acting, writing and directing at its highest level. That to say, I completely agree that Driver gave a real, raw, powerhouse performance. 

• Like 1

Nobody is saying those TROS numbers are bad 

BUT

It is Star Wars, the (once) most beloved franchise in America.

So of course people among the GA are gonna check out the last episode of a 42 years-9 (11) film saga, wether they liked TLJ or despised it and everything in between those two opinions on the movie.

But it could/should have been different.

Imagine if Johnson had managed to do a

-Luke gets his hand severed and an incredible reveal happened and one of the main hero got captured under the most romantic circumstances of all time.

The bad guy won ...

- the bad guy is an unstoppable force and just wiped out half the universe, including half our of our beloved heroes, the planet of movie goers is in a state of shock and wants to see what happens next ...

The Bad Guy won ...

Instead,

we ve got the most insane & infuriating blue balls in franchise filmmaking history and a stupid kid that is force sensitive we don't give a fuck about as your lame last shot.

The bad guy got severed like a moron and Scarjo's soon to be divorced husband is the biggest threat of the know universe ...

Under these circumstances, TROS is kinda bombing.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

You forgot the Captain Marvel ranters

That was a big one but think that one was more insular compared to the rest while the Endgame Theories and GOT takedowns went super mainstream. 

As the Captain Marvel ranters were more hating on Brie Larson as a person then the movie it seems. 

28 minutes ago, doublejack said:

You have to look at the trend line. TFA > TLJ > TRoS across the board is what appears to be happening. That's pretty definitive. This is a franchise in obvious decline, with eroding GA interest. Do either of the previous SW trilogies explain away this? No, they don't.

The overall run for AotC was weaker than that of RotS, not just the OW. While Spider-Man can explain part of that, it doesn't explain it all. People in the target demo for both of those see lots of movies in the summer, they would have caught AotC at some point. Also, RotS had a total gate that was 88% of TPM's. AotC comes in at 70% of what TPM made. TLJ only comes in at 66% of TFA, so again we see weakness in this third trilogy. Do we really think TRoS is going to end up in the 823M domestic range? If it doesn't that's another indicator that interest isn't there.

TFA showed what kind of numbers a highly anticipated SW film can pull in the current market. It is very easy to conclude, then, that this new trilogy is not well received and not well liked. Installments 2 and 3 did not even come close to reaching the heights of the first, and all points are trending in the wrong direction. This franchise needs to be scaled back and spread out. Fatigue has set in and quality matters.

Don't forget that TMP only made 925m in it's first run so the drops were smaller