Eric Loves Rey

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Disney' SW at Chinese Box Office:

TFA 2016 ($125m) > Rogue One 2017 > Jedi 2018.1 > Solo 2018.2 > Skywalker 2019 (<$16m?)

At this rate, in a few years we will see the first sub-zero movie box office in history 😧

Edited by Litio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Phoenix is iconic as Joker. If Hollywood is smart, they'll give Driver an iconic Oscar-worthy role in a movie that'll become a cultural phenom like Joker and he'll win for that. But right now, Phoenix should win. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's Star Wars. There's no competition that's a threat to that brand name. 

Sorry for delay in replying as been out with a mate....but yeah, no. 

The first SPIDER-MAN was in its third weekend having broken box office records left, right and centre. So how was that not competition? The weekend Clones opened Spider-Man made over $40 million - which would adjust to $60 million plus now. It played all summer long. It 100% has an effect if you have the biggest movie of the year that appeals to the same demographs, fighting in the same marketplace. 

so....Clones may well have made more than it did had Spidey not been around (that film was massively anticipated). 
To say TROS should increase from TLJ because ROTS did from Clones just isn’t a fair comparison.  I’d like to see how ROTS might have fared coming out near Spidey 2!

ROTJ increasing on ESB? Different time for the way movies are released. You can’t compare 1983 with 2002 for blockbuster competition, never mind 2019. 

saying TROS is a disappointment if it doesn’t outgross TLJ based on previous trilogy increases just doesn’t add up to me. 

Edited by wildphantom

2 hours ago, REC said:

They're not afraid of puns.  MC seemed like they were also in a really salty mood:

ep9%20mc.jpg

This is just a bit lame 😂, seems like a 16 year old typed it. 

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Do you ever stop? I think I'm going to thread ban you just because of your blatant and constant negativity. 

He never stops

• ...wtf 1

Aud RT from 88 to 89 to 88 to 87 to 86 to 85. Denominator is big enough that it should stop at 84 or 83 at worst, which is on the weak side for verified imo but far from hated. Maybe 3.1 legs or something.

CS A- or A

Edited by Arendelle Legion

Lack of competition will help TROS

Jumanji is a hit, but not nearly as big as the last one

Cats won’t be another The Greatest Showman

Frozen is huge but already made 80-85% of the total

The safe funny action packed movie along with little competition will probably be enough for at least 3x multiplier

3rd Update: Disney’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is seeing an estimated $90M Friday per industry sources, which includes last night’s $40M. This currently puts the J.J. Abrams directed film between $190M-$195M for the weekend, which can’t be dinged especially at this time of year: It’s the third best opening ever for December. That number is ahead of tracking’s low $170M-$175M figure, and just under the $200M that the industry was expecting. Believe me, exhibition isn’t complaining about empty multiplexes now.

New titles braving the shadows of Skywalker are Universal/Amblin/Working Title’s Cats with $8.5M-$10M and Lionsgate’s wide break of Bombshell at 1,480 theaters which is expecting $5.5M-$7M. Given the awards season mojo of Bombshell, I’m not really worried about that, but Cats concerns me.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-opening-weekend-box-office-cats-bombshell-1202814594/

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You know what film I can see breaking out, Spies in Disguise. Not like $200M+, but I could see a $30M five day and a $100M DOM total as Cats seems like a non event and Frozen 2 has died out.. Does anyone with some insight want to give thoughts on that?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Jumanji and Frozen

Holding very well with families against Skywalker is Sony’s Jumanji: The Next Level with $27M-$30M in its second weekend and No. 2 (at its lower level, a -54% decline) for a 10-day around $105M at the high-end. Disney’s Frozen 2 still strong in weekend 5 with $14.3M, -25% for a running total by Sunday of $388.5M. That’s a level that the first Frozen was at in weekend 15. Right now the sequel is pacing 102% ahead of Frozen which ended its stateside run at $400.7M.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 5