Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

OMFG the Cats RT Consensus:

Despite its fur-midable cast, this Cats adaption is a clawful mistake that will leave most viewers begging to be put out of their own mew-sery.

WIN.

They're not afraid of puns.  MC seemed like they were also in a really salty mood:

ep9%20mc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

Things aren't looking good for TROS. So, we are likely getting an opening under $200M. Ouch! And, to top it off, with the mixed WOM, this may have a similar multiplier to TLJ. Remember while TFA and RO had great multipliers, they also had good WOM.

Also, I 100% agree with anyone who says Kathleen Kennedy needs to go. That should have happened a long time ago. I don't doubt she is a good Producer, but she isn't a good fit for SW.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

In all seriousness. I said I would be happy with anything starting with a :"4" and I am.  Would have preferred 41 or 42, but thems the breaks.

Now it's all down to WOM.

(not gonna be on the forum much coz I'm WAAAAAAAY behind on holiday prep)

What? No! NO! What about my Grudge tracking? I'm sorry @Porthos but your Christmas is just going to have to take a back seat!

In all seriousness, no worries man. You really do have a solid break ahead of you until Birds of Prey (if that's even going to be that big).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CloneWars said:

Things aren't looking good for TROS. So, we are likely getting an opening under $200M. Ouch! And, to top it off, with the mixed WOM, this may have a similar multiplier to TLJ. Remember while TFA and RO had great multipliers, they also had good WOM.

Also, I 100% agree with anyone who says Kathleen Kennedy needs to go. That should have happened a long time ago. I don't doubt she is a good Producer, but she isn't a good fit for SW.

The movie is out for less than 24 hours

And it’s having a surprisingly good early reception from audience so maybe you just should wait before taking conclusions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I wouldn't consider WOM to be mixed. Nearly 90% on RT, and most of the general audience people on my FB timeline seem to be enjoying it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

If it opens to $190M, I am having a hard time understanding how this is such an "ouch" scenario if you consider $200M to be a good result. I would think Disney is pretty happy with this result, and it's entirely possible the legs are better than Last Jedi (which had rubbish legs by Christmas standards). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Being mad at the Story Group of all things screams Angry Dude On YouTube.

They have zero power. They are literally there to mold canon across platforms based on what filmmakers want to do in their movies.

From what I understand, even that's not completely accurate.  From everything I've read the absolute best description of them is: Project development.

That is, they're development executives.   They work with folks to try to make whatever gets made (be it films, books, comics, or games) a reality.

Now they do also act as coordinators.  One of their goals is to try as hard as possible to make most everything "fit" cohesively.  They're not perfect at that coz it's literally an impossible job.  But it's in this aspect of coordination where the "canon" stuff goes in.  They try to establish what's off limits and what isn't.

What they aren't is a shadowy cabal that has a future/past timeline mapped out and cracking a whip to force folks to write to it.  What they aren't is a Feige-like group that sets the tone and direction of the franchise at any level of micro-managment. 

Put simply, Star Wars has no Kevin Feige analogue.  At all.  In any capacity.

Now it certainly is ironic that even with this huge focus on crafting a development system that should iron out problems before they get too far down the tracks that they've had some very high profile blowups.  But, well, that's the entertainment business for you.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Despite its fur-midable cast, this Cats adaption is a clawful mistake that will leave most viewers begging to be put out of their own mew-sery.

WIN.

Those are awful puns. I hate everything about this movie.

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

WIN.

I'm gonna have to report RT for poisoning the well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I think it needs 50+ true Friday to have a chance for 190+ weekend.

Last Jedi was like:

Thu 45

Fri 60

Sat 64

Sun 51

40M previews and same Sat/Sun percentage change would give like 186M if it's only 50 Fri.

Sun should do better than -20% that TLJ had cause it released a week earlier while this is deeper into the holidays.

TFA did -11%. -15% for TROS would be nice.

• Like 1