TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Huh? Why would anyone - including the studio - jump to the conclusion that it's the R rating that was the issue, especially considering what they just achieved with Joker?

.... because of the exit poll demographics? Joker didn’t target teen girls 😂

4 minutes ago, MAKKALUL said:

It is hard to imagine older women wanting to watch it. 

My post was about younger audiences, who responded the most to the film but made up the smallest audience cause they’re under 17. See Deadlines article it’s all clear there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ms Lady Hawk said:

n any event, this is another notch in DC’s belt as far as critical acclaim

Yup.

At the very least DC is establishing an image of dependability, with their movies being good. If this has somewhat decent legs then develops a following post-theatrical, while not an ideal financial situation, it will at least not hurt the brand as much as a huge budget critical disaster that gets laughed at by millions would. Unnoticed but good, leading to a lot of people watching this on a fucking plane, in a hotel room, on netflix, etc, months down the line and finding they enjoy it is still a better outcome for the brand than BvS.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Females do not want to see female action films

I could see "R rated gorey action films aren't popular with women generally regardless of the characters" but just saying "female led action films aren't popular with women" is ridiculous given Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman were very successful with female audiences. 

Edited by MAKKALUL
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MAKKALUL said:

I could see "R rated gorey action films aren't popular with women generally regardless of the characters" but just saying "female led action films aren't popular with women" is ridiculous given Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman were very successful with female audience. 

Women flock to horror movies though,  why not gorey action

2 hours ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

For those of you here who blame the marketing. What was so bad about it and how would you have changed it?

I don't necessarily think the marketing was "bad"..   unless you just count that as a trailer needs to be good.  The trailers made this look like it was going to be fucking horrible and I get it...  sometimes it's very difficult to market an R rated movie when you can't show the best parts.  

For example,  I remember seeing the trailers for Role Model.  It's a comedy with Paul Rudd.  I thought it looked horrible.  I watched it later on like Showtime or HBO and it was HILARIOUS...    

The best jokes couldn't be shown in the trailers.    I think Birds of Prey has a shot at being a cable hit or "streaming service hit"  if you will..   but it's box office is DOA.  

9 minutes ago, Hermia said:

I think this lost the comic book fans. I was just talking with a girl who is a big fan of comic's Black Canary and she is very adamant that Batgirl is the one who should have been in Harley's place, and Harley should have been the sympathetic villain. Idk

I've said from the get go having a leader asa villian made no sense. I agree with that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

.... because of the exit poll demographics? Joker didn’t target teen girls

That's a marketing issue, my friend. They targeted the wrong crowd for the content. They didn't sell the movie well. They should have plastered the internet with red band trailers. You would never know this was R rated. Making it PG-13 would not have helped in any way, as by all accounts, the craziness is what works for it and will probably assist its legs, should it develop them.

I think you are setting the perfect example of how NOT to interpret exit polls. Sure, a certain segment liked the movie more than others, but the sample is small and skewed, because they completely fucked up the marketing and confused the message they were selling and misjudged who they were selling it to.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Yup.

At the very least DC is establishing an image of dependability, with their movies being good. If this has somewhat decent legs then develops a following post-theatrical, while not an ideal financial situation, it will at least not hurt the brand as much as a huge budget critical disaster that gets laughed at by millions would. Unnoticed but good, leading to a lot of people watching this on a fucking plane, in a hotel room, on netflix, etc, months down the line and finding they enjoy it is still a better outcome for the brand than BvS.

This, MOS then BvS' falling to click with critics and the GA pretty much put Superman on ice on the big screen 3+ years and counting. He's DC's biggest name too, imagine if the recent movies failed critically? We wouldn't be seeing DC movies for a long time

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

Women flock to horror movies though,  why not gorey action

All I can describe is the experience of myself and my friends, not so much some sort of grand psychological reasoning behind it- I can't think of any R rated gorey action film that was particularly popular with women, but there could definitely be some I'm missing.