TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

The money had been spent and we know Apple has it so any money this makes in the theaters is gravy in their mind. 

On the other hand, both Napoleon and KotFM involved Apple shouldering tens of millions of dollars in additional risk to release the films theatrically (backstopping the theatrical distributor's P&A spend and guaranteeing a minimum distributor fee for KotFM that treats the film as a ~100M DOM grosser). What would the deal like be for this lesser film? 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The big promo blitz is continuing here in the UK. Cranston and Howard were both on Graham Norton together last night. 

Think that’s every single daytime and late night show done now. 

Yeah they seem to be going for the international play. mostly. They do not seem to give a crap what it does here in the states for some reason. Today is the Conference Championship football games for the NFL. Really their last chance to boost any interest by showing ads and pushing it in some major way. 

Vaughn has stated that the trailer and various spots are primarily only showing footage from the first 28 minutes, it was his request and Uni/Apple rolled with it. I have read from reviews there's supposed to be some pretty fun action sequences they are hiding. I gotta give kudos to not giving everything away even if that might be hurting marketing a bit since they can really only be showing the same footage.

Edited by Jackstraw
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Vaughn has stated that the trailer and various spots are primarily only showing footage from the first 28 minutes, it was his request and Uni/Apple rolled with it. I have read from reviews there's supposed to be some pretty fun action sequences they are hiding. I gotta give kudos to not giving everything away even if that might be hurting marketing a bit since they can really only be showing the same footage.

Yeah i just feel there was a way they could have marketed this without giving away things that would have built more interest than what they have done. 

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This looks too silly to get good reviews. Looks like an action movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. I mean it could work, but reminds me of sucky movies like Knight and Day

Don’t a lot of modern critics love genre movies that are completely goofy and irreverent though? 

I don't get the hate for the trailer. Nothing about it looks bad to me. It's weird how, in a year that desperately needs a miracle for the box office to perform better than last year's, people are actively rooting against certain films, including this one.

Are we for the theatrical experience, or against it? Sometimes, I can't tell. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't get the hate for the trailer. Nothing about it looks bad to me. It's weird how, in a year that desperately needs a miracle for the box office to perform better than last year's, people are actively rooting against certain films, including this one.

I thought the hate for the trailer was because of how it’s been playing in theaters non-stop over the past four months. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I thought the hate for the trailer was because of how it’s been playing in theaters non-stop over the past four months. 

Still makes no sense to me in a year like this one. When a film fails, I always see "I never saw any trailers for this film," and I'm supposed to hate that marketing for a film was TOO widespread?

39 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Both. For it if it’s a movie we like, against it if it’s something we hate/don’t care about. Though if the early Letterboxd user reviews are to be believed, this film might struggle to make a splash.