Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

13 hours ago, CJohn said:

From now until the end of August I only see 2 movies going above 20M OW: Suicide Squad (expecting around 35M right now) and Jungle Cruise (it should do 22-23M). Everything else is going under 10M OW with a couple of exceptions.

I think Candyman could do $20m+. 

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I wonder how long ago Jungle Cruise was announced, probably before Disney got Indiana Jones V fast tracked. I'm a sucker for these Indiana Jones wannabe movies, but the trailers so far have done nothing for me.

Even before the pandemic delay, it’s not like the buzz was like WHOA despite the talent involved (didn’t help that with a jungle setting, folks might go “didn’t the Rock just do two jungle theme action pictures?)

• Like 1

Congrats to WB and Space Jam and Lebron.  Look say what you want but original "Space Jam" is a Classic Movie and Soundtrack for a lot of people who grew up during that time.  So we are adults now and we took our kids for this new generation.  Also families needed something and this came through.  Also Lebron is a very well know Sports Star.   There was a NBA Finals Game this weekend too.   Obviously streaming prevented a bigger OW but 31 against BW 2nd Weekend is pretty good.   Everyone needs to understand.  You can't "FORCE" people back to the Theater.   

Taking away options will only hurt Studios right now.  We have to keep the Hybrid/streaming model going for a little longer until Pandemic is under control.    I know people feel Streaming is hurting Theatrical but we are in a new reality now.   I think WB and Disney was smart to have the hybrid/streaming models.   I'm honestly very impressed with these numbers because there was opinions last year that if you did Streaming along with Theatrical "Nobody would want to go back to the Theater" and that's just not true.   Yes Box Office isn't the same but people will still make a choice to see it on the Big Screen.  

• Like 3

Jungle Cruise was made in the summer of 2018 (and also made before Dwayne's second Jumanji movie) for an original release date of October 2019 (which ended up going to Maleficent 2) before being moved back to a July 2020 spot it would end up missing due to COVID. I have no idea what Disney is expecting from it. I'm guessing they're just happy they don't have to sit on it anymore.

• Like 3

Jason Statham is demanding the same pay as The Rock for Hobbs and Shaw 2 and I bet he uses Jungle Cruise flopping to prove that the Rock is no bigger star than he is, lol.

Tyrese will get some satisfaction too.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Jungle Cruise was made in the summer of 2018 (and also made before Dwayne's second Jumanji movie) for an original release date of October 2019 (which ended up going to Maleficent 2) before being moved back to a July 2020 spot it would end up missing due to COVID. I have no idea what Disney is expecting from it. I'm guessing they're just happy they don't have to sit on it anymore.

I mean its just a ploy to sell more tickets for their attractions at Disneyworld, so if it does flop it would be deserved. 

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I mean its just a ploy to sell more tickets for their attractions at Disneyworld, so if it does flop it would be deserved. 

With their live-action remake supply (at least in terms of stuff with big potential) about to run out, trying to turn Disney theme park attractions into viable movie franchises is clearly going to make up most of their next era, since we also have a Pirates of the Caribbean reboot with Robbie, a Tower of Terror movie with Scarlett, a Space Mountain movie, and a second attempt at The Haunted Mansion all in development.

Edited by filmlover

47 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Jason Statham is demanding the same pay as The Rock for Hobbs and Shaw 2 and I bet he uses Jungle Cruise flopping to prove that the Rock is no bigger star than he is, lol.

Tyrese will get some satisfaction too.

Well he's the only real action star right now and was the best part Hobbs and Shaw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Well he's the only real action star right now and was the best part Hobbs and Shaw.

Shouldn't pay be based on whether you're a bigger draw?

The Rock has some respectable hits under his belt.

11 hours ago, Zatt was right said:

All the doomposting seems so incredibly obnoxious and completely out of touch with reality to me. I’m both famously and infamously one of the biggest Marvel nerds around these parts and you won’t see me going to a movie theater so "we don’t kill cinema" while my country is in complete shambles.

I am simply not attending movie theaters at all while the current situation is undergoing, so here is another truth bomb from ERC:

I won’t attend a single movie theater until Shang-Chi, that I am absolutely sure. I’m hopefully getting my second Pfizer shot in September 4th, and that is if I am lucky and everything goes according with the current plan. Hell, I might not even be able to attend Eternals depending how my country deals with the delta variant. And I would be royally pissed if Disney, with the current success that is Black Widow, doesn’t listen to their audiences and give us what we want, namely, Shang-Chi and maybe even Eternals in Premier Access. Hell, maybe even No Way Home if it becomes needed. There are way more important things going on than the survival of the movie theater industry in places like Brazil and India could really use more of movie execs like Disney and WB that are sensible enough to understand that (WB not really because their premier access is just for show domestic, unfortunately they don’t release stuff here this way but thankfully I don’t care about most of their stuff anyway).

Bonus tweet:

LOL. Grow the flark up.

Spidey is Sony.  Sony hasn't released anything day and date, either with PVOD or free.  Whatever they do, that is the strategy they will NOT do for Spidey.  Kicking it is more likely, but I think they are going to go all-in and just make it work with whatever this winter will bring...somewhere will probably be good for a release at that point, so they may just stagger if anything...

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Sony hasn't released anything day and date, either with PVOD or free. 

That's because they've been holding onto their biggest bets while sending almost everything else (Greyhound, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Fatherhood, The Craft: Legacy, Camila Cabello's Cinderella) to streaming.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Spidey is Sony.  Sony hasn't released anything day and date, either with PVOD or free.  Whatever they do, that is the strategy they will NOT do for Spidey.  Kicking it is more likely, but I think they are going to go all-in and just make it work with whatever this winter will bring...somewhere will probably be good for a release at that point, so they may just stagger if anything...

Disney and Sony already have a deal in place for all Sony content, Spider-Man included, for 2023. It’s way less far fetched as you are implying. Hopefully things will be better unto then, but if it isn’t I could see it happening. 

• Knock It Off 1

40 minutes ago, Zatt was right said:

Disney and Sony already have a deal in place for all Sony content, Spider-Man included, for 2023. It’s way less far fetched as you are implying. Hopefully things will be better unto then, but if it isn’t I could see it happening. 

To regard theatrical experience is for old is totally bullshit statement since most of the cinema attendance are driven by younger generation. And the overseas market where cinemagoing was booming in the past decade, those countries have their population skewing younger, compared to US and Europe.

Also, what is wrong with the old generation?   

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Zatt was right said:

You're talking about something else entirely. Sony has a deal with both Netflix and Disney to show their movies months after their theatrical releases (first they go to Netflix and then to Disney). It's no different to what Sony had with Starz up until these new deals were made. It also only applies to the US.

And Greg Miller should stick to talking about video games lol.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

So, closer to 68% vs 67% for drop...doesn't matter all that much, but it does mean it's unlikely to move back into the #1 spot this weekend no matter how badly the new openers do.  The new openers will just get the screen and showing space on "hope" (one of my Cinemarks has 2 screened both Old and Snake Eyes and given them all the big screens), and with that as the case, even if Space Jam 2 has an equally awful 2nd weekend drop as BW, one of the openers should probably then win by default...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I wonder if any fall/winter movies will move to next year. No Spidey trailer yet, maybe they are thinking of moving it. The Delta variant will do some damage in the fall/winter

Edited by Maggie