Eric Prime

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Hopefully, I get to watch this movie in theatre soon. :raining:

Going by prediction thread:

9m

19.5m

19m

13.5m

61m 3-day weekend 

9m Monday

For a solid 70m 4-day weekend. 

That'd be a fairly dramatic drop on Sunday for a full-blown national holiday most people have off. But this level of opener on Labor Day is unprecedented so idk.

• Like 2

Probably just 3 weekends #1 (first movie since GvK) but if things fall just right could go for 4 or 5 (I expect AF2 will get plenty of screens now despite 0 day PVOD and easily beat it if DEH misses, but stranger things have happened).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

That drop for Sunday is very optimistic imo. Even if I go by your numbers 17m is what I think it will be. 

But overall 80m 4-day weekend is really solid. So, I am hoping you are right. 

I gave it a pessimistic sun drop because I know you’re trying to be pessimistic 😛    

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Very interested to see what the legs are. It'll depend on if Free Guy's legs were on WOM alone or just because it basically had no competition.

Will it? SC probably have similarly good WOM and similarly no competition.

• Like 1

Just got out of the 10:15 in the BIG theater at Disney Springs and it played like absolute gangbusters, obviously it’s a venue where that would be expected, it should be noted.

But the crowd, myself included, loved it, several big laughs, couple of names got applause in the end credits, generally felt buzzier than Black Widow did.

• Astonished 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'm confident Shang Chi will do great domestic, I'm more worried about international numbers and that it may be what triggers other studios to follow Paramount to 2022

We often don’t see eye to eye but this is succinct and 100% correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

Probably just 3 weekends #1 (first movie since GvK) but if things fall just right could go for 4 or 5 (I expect AF2 will get plenty of screens now despite 0 day PVOD and easily beat it if DEH misses, but stranger things have happened).

Newark will be #1 on Oct 1 :Venom: 

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Newark will be #1 on Oct 1 :Venom: 

Oh, I didn’t realize that was before NTTD. Just thought of that as HT4 vs SF2 showdown weekend before ht4 went Netflix.   

Anyway I think realistically maybe 15 for AF2 and Saints, 9ish for Shang.

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Shang Chi open with 98% verified audience on RT, 4.8/5 average.

Yeah this is no BW 

So you mean it won’t touch $80m 3 day? ;) 

3 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Why do you have to shit on BW to deliver good news on SC? BW’s scores were just fine.

I am only interested in this movie to see how the tracking thread does in its predictions. 

Yeh, let’s not shit on Black Widow folks. It’s still the biggest domestic film of the year for now. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is "shitting" on BW. It's just that it's a rather somber film since it's a spy thriller and deals with the traumatic backstory of Natasha's childhood. It was a bit dry overall while Shang-Chi is far more crowdpleasing and broad. Tons of humor for audiences. Lots of hand to hand fight scenes, giant CGI monsters and cute animals, etc (And I say this as someone who prefers BW lol)

• Like 2

Yeah I don't see why people think he was trashing BW, besides BW had a solid reception but it was far unversally praised... Let alone that the main fandom was super mad with the Taskmaster plot line even comparing it to the Mandarin.

Edited by Fox20

I was gonna wait til Sunday to see this but with all the people on the board saying it’s a crowd pleaser then maybe I should go see it tomorrow in a matinee. I work third shift so I always wait til my day off to see movies now but I’ll make a exception for a good marvel movie.