Eric S'ennui

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeesh, according to Variety, Many Saints actually cost $50M to make. WB's gonna end up taking a notable L on this one.

Max viewership will tell a bigger picture. If it's one of the larger day and date titles, I doubt Warner will regret the deal they made with Chase.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Max viewership will tell a bigger picture. If it's one of the larger day and date titles, I doubt Warner will regret the deal they made with Chase.

I wish they would release how it did on HBO Max, if any movie's gonna be the exception to the "you don't do well in theaters, you don't do well on the streaming service either" rule it would definitely be this.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I wish they would release how it did on HBO Max, if any movie's gonna be the exception to the "you don't do well in theaters, you don't do well on the streaming service either" rule it would definitely be this.

Mortal Kombat is still Max's highest viewed film even though its box office is below GVK, Space Jam, Conjuring, and WW84. I'm curious what the Samba numbers will reveal

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mortal Kombat is still Max's highest viewed film even though its box office is below GVK, Space Jam, Conjuring, and WW84.

Another case of the target audience (or at least part of the target audience) being more willing to watch it for free via streaming subscription. Although it clearly didn't face nearly as many hurdles in becoming profitable even in normal times as Many Saints (which would have needed to make $100M worldwide - with questionable overseas appeal putting extra pressure on its domestic performance - to turn a profit for the studio while it was in theaters) did.

I am seeing the amazing numbers by both Venom and NTTD and I am still baffled why WB hasn't made Matrix 4 exclusive to theaters. Or at least if they want to stick with this "all 2021 movies to HBO Max" plan, just move the damn thing to 2022. Let's face it having an FHD copy of such a movie out there the day of release is a stupid move.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I am seeing the amazing numbers by both Venom and NTTD and I am still baffled why WB hasn't made Matrix 4 exclusive to theaters. Or at least if they want to stick with this "all 2021 movies to HBO Max" plan, just move the damn thing to 2022. Let's face it having an FHD copy of such a movie out there the day of release is a stupid move.

Yeah it is getting really silly. TSS is legit the best Hollywood film I have seen this yr, and I loved it in IMAX... but most of the people I know pirated it.

They should stop the day-and-date HBO Max thing starting from Dune - Dune's domestic (and China) OW and legs will be severly cut.

At least Disney has D+ and makes sense as they earn additional fee for streaming the film in all territorities where D+ is in. HBO Max is only in US and people everywhere are pirating WB's films.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah it is getting really silly. TSS is legit the best Hollywood film I have seen this yr, and I loved it in IMAX... but most of the people I know pirated it.

They should stop the day-and-date HBO Max thing starting from Dune - Dune's domestic (and China) OW and legs will be severly cut.

At least Disney has D+ and makes sense as they earn additional fee for streaming the film in all territorities where D+ is in. HBO Max is only in US and people everywhere are pirating WB's films.

Yeah everyone I knew who watched TSS did it through a pirated copy. 

8 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Besides Venom and Bond UK opening, the other remarkable box offices news of the weekend is in China. There's a new film that just grossed around $315 million in only 5 days. 

that's crazy! :runs to China thread to read more:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Besides Venom and Bond UK opening, the other remarkable box offices news of the weekend is in China. There's a new film that just grossed around $315 million in only 5 days. 

So I guess NA continue to sit on their 2nd largest grosser market 2 years in a row.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

We will have numbers from Samba TV in a day or two. Even though they don't represent all of HBO Max subscribers (they only measure viewership on Smart TVs) they are useful to make comparison with other HBO Max titles Samba TV has released their figures for.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

If they switch Dune and Matrix 4 to theatrical exclusives, won't they be facing false advertising lawsuits now that they've already advertised that they will both be available through HBO Max? They've very likely made a mistake by setting the date so far out with the dual releases, but they'd be making another one by reneging on it.

41 minutes ago, BDC said:

If they switch Dune and Matrix 4 to theatrical exclusives, won't they be facing false advertising lawsuits now that they've already advertised that they will both be available through HBO Max? They've very likely made a mistake by setting the date so far out with the dual releases, but they'd be making another one by reneging on it.

Plus they already paid the talent twice. Also if they did that, you'll have directors coming out saying "Why does Dune, King Richard & Matrix get theater only releases but not my movie?".