Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

6 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

140m is fine. Dune won't even cross 100m with ease.

... Bond costs 250M, theatrical release, got 3 full marketing campaigns, and obviously is part of one gigantic franchise.

Dune costs 165M, have one normal marketing campaign, it's on HBO Max and it's a scifi movie.

This comparisson is just absurd.

• Like 1

Dune is one ticket ahead of Bond’s pace today at my theater for true Friday. Truly staggering numbers. We knew Bond would be huge. This is just insane.

Canada coming in to get Denis his sequel. Never forget your roots I guess.

• Like 7

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

... Bond costs 250M, theatrical release, got 3 full marketing campaigns, and obviously is part of one gigantic franchise.

Dune costs 165M, have one normal marketing campaign, it's on HBO Max and it's a scifi movie.

Bond has a much higher overseas. Worldwide it should double Dune's BO. It has a better profit.

5 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

I don't know what source indicates 301m. Trades say its production budget is 250m, and Bond has a much higher overseas BO.

Bringing “No Time to Die” to the screen was already a pricey proposition — the film, which marks Daniel Craig’s final turn as 007, carried a $301 million net budget. Plus, Craig and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, who control the rights to the series, have generous backend and profit participation deals, limiting the amount of money MGM is able to make on the movie.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/no-time-to-die-james-bond-mgm-streaming-sale-1234819582/

That's what I was looking at.

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

3 FULL marketing campaigns is bullshit. Cmon

The original release date, April 8 2020, got a good amount of marketing, including a Superbowl TV Spot. But even that was delayed a full month before release. 

Then all the marketing that happened for its November 2020 was that one trailer. Nothing else. That's not a full marketing campaign

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Interesting. I'd forgotten about that. This piece from a few weeks ago by one of the same authors had it at 250.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/box-office-no-time-to-die-daniel-craig-james-bond-1235083653/

"The film carries a massive $250 million budget and cost more than $100 million to market and promote."

I wonder which is right. (If any number can be considered accurate thanks to Hollywood accounting.)

Edited by KC7

32 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dune is one ticket ahead of Bond’s pace today at my theater for true Friday. Truly staggering numbers. We knew Bond would be huge. This is just insane.

Canada coming in to get Denis his sequel. Never forget your roots I guess.

Ya I've seen it twice now in Toronto and it was absolutely packed (sold out or close to) both screenings. 

2 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Interesting. I'd forgotten about that. This piece from a few weeks ago by one of the same authors had it at $250.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/box-office-no-time-to-die-daniel-craig-james-bond-1235083653/

"The film carries a massive $250 million budget and cost more than $100 million to market and promote."

I wonder which is right. (If any number can be considered accurate thanks to Hollywood accounting.)

Plus now that Amazon is going to own MGM is how much money it makes even really all that relevant anymore? 

• Like 1