Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

30 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I effusively praised that it would do great and be a crowd pleasing and successful movie while a whole lot of others were swearing it would be a bomb.  

Did a $44m+ opening domestic, going to hit $130m+ domestic total and $225m or whatever overall during the Delta wave and start of the Omicron wave.  It's doing fantastic on PVOD streaming.  All of this on a $75m budget and they are going to make a shitload more getting paid for it the next 40 years on streaming.

I would say I was right enough.  

It going to finish about the same as the 2016 film when you definitely hyped it up to do better than that (remember when you said $100 mil by the end of Thanksgiving weekend?).  And you never brought up streaming numbers before. Dont bring them up, especially when you dont know what they are (it's not like Encanto, which we clearly know blew up on digital).

Movie is not a flop (I'll admit I was wrong there), but it wasnt the gangbusters hit you hyped it up to be either lol. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

If it helps...I was righter than EmpireCity on Ghostbusters ($100M+ to Free Guy total DOM is only gonna be off a couple mil:)...and I agree with him that Uncharted is gonna make Ghostbusters (or more) money.

Young male movie subscribers are DYING this month...Jackass will get some of them, Moonfall too, but both movies look bad.  Then it's Super Bowl weekend/Valentine's weekend with movies that don't sell as well to them.

I could see Regal and AMC male subscribers literally buying 2-3 tickets each for that Uncharted OW...and NFL Football will be over...and it's President's Day weekend (so the holiday Sunday)...and heck, the Olympics end, too...

Without any reviews, the movie is going $35M+...if the reviews don't suck, it's gonna be a $50M+ weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

It going to finish about the same as the 2016 film when you definitely hyped it up to do better than that (remember when you said $100 mil by the end of Thanksgiving weekend?).  And you never brought up streaming numbers before. Dont bring them up, especially when you dont know what they are (it's not like Encanto, which we clearly know blew up on digital).

Movie is not a flop (I'll admit I was wrong there), but it wasnt the gangbusters hit you hyped it up to be either lol. 

The fact that it is going to pass the 2016 version in the middle of a pandemic with a significantly lower budget after being delayed by nearly 2 years is an unmitigated success.  

It is going to make pretty much 3x it's budget from box office alone, and don't tell me I don't know what the streaming numbers are when I absolutely do know what they are and have been shared with me and others.  It's doing very well, and as mentioned, it is also still making money in theaters.  

Sony is ecstatic with it and it will make them millions of dollars after all is said and done.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Moonfall has potential. Big concept, action, online irony and memes. But betting on any original project nowadays is a death sentence. the bad reviews won't help. 8m seems right? Free Guy at least had the Marvel and Disney IP-catering and a big star in the lead. Hoping double digits for sake of the box office

Jackass won't hit the heights of 3D or even Bad Grandpa but fingers crossed. 12m seems ok. Would love 20m. The trailer was a hit and played for months. Marketing is playing up the nostalgia angle and seeing with your friends narrative.

The worst thing Jackass Forever did was moving away from that October spot. I feel like that first trailer really was a hit, whereas after the delay it feels like none of the marketing has stuck (definitely not the 2nd trailer).

Guess I was glad it got out of Dune's way tho.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric Riley said:

Uncharted Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-20 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 53 78 9757 0.80%

Comp

0.146x of F9 T-20 (1.04M)

0.410x of The Suicide Squad T-20 (1.68M)

0.223x of Venom 2 T-20 (2.58M)

I'll admit I couldn't think of any good comps for this far out in a film's run, but I think these suffice fine? It's pretty all over the place in terms of numbers, but this was basically a soft launch two days before the official Sunday bow, so I guess it's a little silly to say anything definitive at this point in time. 

Uncharted Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-19 and Counting

TOTALS 0 53 87 9757 0.89%

Total Seats Sold Today: 9

Comp

0.153x of F9 T-19 (1.08M)

0.426x of The Suicide Squad T-19 (1.75M)

0.249x of Venom 2 T-19 (2.88M)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eric Riley said:

Comp

Wait, are these numbers just for tickets sold at AMC theaters? I don’t think the rest of the chains have them up for sale until tomorrow

16 hours ago, CJohn said:

The problem with Uncharted is that reviews will be terrible.

Yeah, are we sure it'll be any good lol? The history of video game adaptations, even when they've had a lot of talent behind them, is poor (to put it kindly), and big stars they are, both Holland or Wahlberg clearly aren't selective about the scripts they pick up (the latter, whose career stretches back to before the former was even born, arguably has a lot more trash than treasure within his filmography).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, are we sure it'll be any good lol? The history of video game adaptations, even when they've had a lot of talent behind them, is poor (to put it kindly), and big stars they are, both Holland or Wahlberg clearly aren't selective about the scripts they pick up (the latter, whose career stretches back to before the former was even born, arguably has a lot more trash than treasure within his filmography).

In Tom's defence he signed up for Uncharted years ago. Feels like he got unlucky with Chaos Walking (which sounded a lot better on paper - book adaptation, known cast/director - but fell apart) and Sony likely felt like they owed Mark a favor by keeping him in Uncharted even when he aged out of the role of Nathan. Tom admitted himself a year or so ago that he's taken some questionable stuff, and both of his upcoming works are dramatic biopics, so there's at least self awareness and an attempt to put out more complex work. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eric Riley said:

Comp

Wow. Those don't look good.