Eric S'ennui

Weekday Numbers (12/27-30) | Asgard 2 says 20.5 Thursday for NWH | Derby is Back!

Did anyone realise Universal and Focus Feature re-release some old movies back during Christmas weekend? Or is it just some reporting of the leftover unreported box office 

14 - The Boss Baby: Family Business $224,080 - 295 - $759 $57,524,360 26 Universal Pictures
15 - F9: The Fast Saga $196,835 - 57 - $3,453 $173,202,780 27 Universal Pictures
17 - Stillwater $152,165 - 313 - $486 $14,617,700 22 Focus Features
19 - Land $130,840 - 662 - $197 $2,708,670 46 Focus Features
20 - Last Night in Soho $115,255 - 110 - $1,047 $10,242,880 9 Focus Features
21 - Boogie $107,130 - 448 - $239 $4,285,750 43 Focus Features
Edited by titanic2187

So, this is a 1st...in previous years not in the 2020's, I've seen 10pm movies on NYE as a "ring in the NY" event...

This year, both my Cinemarks have set for last showings at 7pm exactly, so they'll be closed fully by 10:30pm...

This is sad, b/c it is a nice, low key NYE celebration if you don't drink much or at all, and are sick of watching tv ball drops...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Borobudur said:

at least SIng 2 got to pass 100m right?

As much as people claim Sing 2 is not as disastrous as SLOP2, but I am not sure if Sing 2 can pass SLOP2's 158m. Still, considering this is the first animation to break 100m since pandemic started, and 2nd Universal film to break 100m after F9, Universal should feel grateful enough. 

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

But they aren't watching it at home, either...

WOM seems to be - if you liked Matrix for its pop culture and sci fi coolness and wonderful special effects, you're gonna hate this movie, so just pass...

And it seems like everyone everywhere is passing...

I am gonna enjoy my empty theater tomorrow (which would probably have been changed to a Spidey showing if I didn't already have tickets)...I may hate this movie, but with the Covid breakout here, I've decided I'm just thankful I'm getting my own theater rental tomorrow morning for my boys and I for the cost of BOGO tickets (that gets me platinum status for Cinemark next year:)...$20 for a private rental is kinda awesome...

hope you enjoy it. I did very much. 

I don’t think the consensus is universal hate like the internet would have you believe either. Seems two thirds critics and audiences from all the scores. But…such is life, Twitter would have anyone believe differently.  Twitter then results in articles written about said Twitter rhetoric and then that becomes the story. Rinse and repeat.  That’s turned off a ton of people from even watching it, which is a damn shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fox20 said:

Pretty sure SS did not start in a WED, so the numbers are worse in context.

It has impact but it's clear that Matrix would have not pass 70-80M without it either, the box office numbers are far too pathetic.

maybe. Wom might be better if the social media crowd who watch it on their phones and tablets hadn’t already painted the narrative because of its tv release.  
The crowd that tweet whilst they watch it. I mean, who wants to get a consensus from that crowd? And they are the loudest by far. 

That’s the beauty of theatrical only. It forces people to actually watch the movie before they look for clout and likes. 

The way many are ragging on it has almost made me fed up of the movie already, and I saw it at the cinema opening day really enjoying it. 

I think it offers absolutely tons of conversation to have. Many will have it in the years to come, as they did the sequels. But for now it’s just all noise and box office figure bashing to back up the conformation bias. 

the film is divisive! So what! 
it’s not safe, that’s for sure. Not phoned in whatsoever. And how many franchise movies can you say that about anymore? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sing 2 is gonna be close to (or just over) $100M by Sunday and is completely without competition until Turning Red the second weekend of March. Given the barren landscape, we probably shouldn't rule out the chance it has crazy legs throughout the next two months.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

maybe. Wom might be better if the social media crowd who watch it on their phones and tablets hadn’t already painted the narrative because of its tv release.  
The crowd that tweet whilst they watch it. I mean, who wants to get a consensus from that crowd? And they are the loudest by far. 

That’s the beauty of theatrical only. It forces people to actually watch the movie before they look for clout and likes. 

The way many are ragging on it has almost made me fed up of the movie already, and I saw it at the cinema opening day really enjoying it. 

I think it offers absolutely tons of conversation to have. Many will have it in the years to come, as they did the sequels. But for now it’s just all noise and box office figure bashing to back up the conformation bias. 

the film is divisive! So what! 
it’s not safe, that’s for sure. Not phoned in whatsoever. And how many franchise movies can you say that about anymore? 

It's Cinemascore and verified RT score, which are exclusively theater audiences, are awful for a blockbuster. I would also argue that the film is disappointingly safe and the action sequences do feel phoned in. I've already forgotten much of it.

• Like 2

I'm just not seeing how people can honestly buy that same-day streaming isn't really hurting box office for those movies. I'm not saying Matrix would have been a massive hit or anything, but it clearly was impacted and so was Suicide Squad. King Richard may have only done 30m because tennis is niche and bad marketing and Omicron , but no fucking way in any market does an inspirational sports drama with terrific reviews starring Will Smith make only 13 million without the streaming option. Look at his other movies and tell me how that's possible. Hell, Halloween Kills had some of the worst legs of all-time due to Peacock. Sure, legs would have been very bad anyway, but no they would not have been "significantly worse than a January movie with 0% on RT" level bad, no. Peacock did that. The evidence is clear.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, AJG said:

They're gonna do what Disney did with Aliens and turn that thing into a HBO Max streaking show.

I'm not even sure if theres enough interest for a show at this point lol.  Resurrection seems to be a Terminator: Genysis level IP killer.

An Alien show set on earth just feels so odd.   One of the great things about the Alien franchise to me is that none of them took place on earth, the settings in all of them were "Alien". 

• Like 1

In retrospect, Godzilla vs. Kong and Dune doing as well as they did definitely solidifies that they would've been huge in their pre-COVID dates (GvK was originally supposed to come out the week before Thanksgiving and Dune the week before Christmas before 2020 fell apart). Meanwhile, Matrix and Suicide Squad falling apart completely under the same release patterns suggests those movies had more baggage than most were probably willing to admit and would've been underperformers (compared to studio expectations) in any environment.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm just not seeing how people can honestly buy that same-day streaming isn't really hurting box office for those movies. I'm not saying Matrix would have been a massive hit or anything, but it clearly was impacted and so was Suicide Squad. King Richard may have only done 30m because tennis is niche and bad marketing and Omicron , but no fucking way in any market does an inspirational sports drama with terrific reviews starring Will Smith make only 13 million without the streaming option. Look at his other movies and tell me how that's possible. Hell, Halloween Kills had some of the worst legs of all-time due to Peacock. Sure, legs would have been very bad anyway, but no they would not have been "significantly worse than a January movie with 0% on RT" level bad, no. Peacock did that. The evidence is clear.

I mentioned Sony movies a while ago...there's a reason their "exclusive to cinemas" strategy is working. Their numbers show that. 

Every studio panicked with the pandemic because of huge budgets and a much smaller market at the BO and rushed for these same-day streaming deals...and it backfired.

Sony on the other hand stayed the course and decided to sign deals for their movies AFTER their theatrical runs and after a VOD/DVD/Blu-ray window. Only after making bank like this they go to Netflix (for a few months) AND then they get money to have their catalog on Disney Plus "forever". The fact the budget for their movies isn't astronomical (Venom 2 at 110M) and that China is still allowing them to release there as well is basically a huge win for the company.

Look at Uncharted...it has an estimated budget of 120M. Even if the movie doesn't break-even at the box office next year, what are odds of it actually losing money by the time it finally lands on Disney Plus?

Edited by TiagoRodrigues
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

As much as people claim Sing 2 is not as disastrous as SLOP2, but I am not sure if Sing 2 can pass SLOP2's 158m. Still, considering this is the first animation to break 100m since pandemic started, and 2nd Universal film to break 100m after F9, Universal should feel grateful enough. 

Honestly, ~140M is about what I expected from Sing 2 even before COVID, so I think this is a glowing success when you add in factors like Omicron and kids/family disinterest in the theaters.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In retrospect, Godzilla vs. Kong and Dune doing as well as they did definitely solidifies that they would've been huge in their pre-COVID dates (GvK was originally supposed to come out the week before Thanksgiving and Dune the week before Christmas before 2020 fell apart). Meanwhile, Matrix and Suicide Squad falling apart completely under the same release patterns suggests those movies had more baggage than most were probably willing to admit and would've been underperformers (compared to studio expectations) in any environment.

Totally freaking insane Godzilla vs Kong made what it made despite HBO Max and at a time when half of theaters were closed and most people were not able to get vaccinated. Insane. Would have been a 100m OW, in retrospect.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In retrospect, Godzilla vs. Kong and Dune doing as well as they did definitely solidifies that they would've been huge in their pre-COVID dates (GvK was originally supposed to come out the week before Thanksgiving and Dune the week before Christmas before 2020 fell apart). Meanwhile, Matrix and Suicide Squad falling apart completely under the same release patterns suggests those movies had more baggage than most were probably willing to admit and would've been underperformers in any environment.

Main reason I'm skeptical of this is that the first Matrix trailer saw more traction online than any of the Dune trailers did. Yes, with Suicide Squad there were plenty of warning signs with how the marketing was performing, but Matrix at least looked very strong initially.

Interest was there, WB seems to have just completely squandered their chance to capitalize on it. They put all that effort behind that first trailer and then dropped the ball after that.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

Disney Monday from The Numbers:

- (-) The King’s Man 20th Century… $1,386,710 -35%   3,180 $436 $10,969,096 6

- (-) West Side Story 20th Century… $903,363 -18% +27% 2,810 $321 $24,878,185 18
- (-) Encanto Walt Disney $545,378 -16% -60% 2,800 $195 $88,673,159 34

- (-) Nightmare Alley Searchlight … $319,011 -26% -7% 2,135 $149 $5,605,414 11

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

In my opinion, Godzilla v Kong and Dune are the box office successes of the year.

Both had simultaneous streaming releases. GVK opened during a pandemic with limited seating and pre-vaccine. Dune was a dense, weird impossible to adapt sci-fi that was doubted for years and held over

they did well for their circumstances but idk how No Way Home is anything but the box office success of the year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2