Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

16 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

You're right, but the draw of that movie should be frickin Julia Roberts AND George Clooney together again. Two of the biggest movie stars of all time

So it will be a good test of the “no one cares about stars” theory 👀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Money Monster made 47M dom

You're right that they're both past their prime (and Clooney was never truly a draw) but the two of them in a destination wedding comedy is more appealing than the two of them in a financial thriller. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Flopped said:

You're right that they're both past their prime (and Clooney was never truly a draw) but the two of them in a destination wedding comedy is more appealing than the two of them in a financial thriller. 

Idk how people can say this. Like in the 2000s, for every 1 underperformer he had, he would have like 4 hits. 

As for the Money Monster thing, yeah that movie was bad first of all. And secondly, its premise was a much tougher sell. And even that made well over 3x its budget! It did perfectly fine

He was/is absolutely a draw. If a movie is as bad as something like The Leatherheads, then sure, it's not gonna hit. But if this Romcom is decent/good, it should absolutely be a hit. There's no way you're gonna tell me that those 2 together in a romcom isn't massively appealing

It's just a matter of if audiences' taste have seriously changed enough to the point where they don't even care about seeing them together on screen anymore

Edited by Pinacolada

4 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Honestly I think Sandra Bullock is the bigger deal for Lost City. She is catnip to every suburban mother. Tatum fans, please don't yell at me for saying this.

I agree she’s obviously the bigger deal and draw. But it’s a great pairing. 

Similar to Bullock/Reynolds 

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's a bummer that she was recently on record as saying that she plans to take a break from acting for a while when her big screen appearances have already become rare in recent years (this is her first studio movie since Ocean's 8, which was her first screen appearance in nearly three years at the time). The fact she's now crossed into her fourth decade of being a major star is one of the more impressive examples of career staying power (especially in an industry where it's a supposed belief that the roles for actresses dry up once they turn 40) there is.

Perhaps this is why she's taking a break. Same as how Cameron Diaz pretty much retired in her 40s, Julia Roberts fell off the radar and Reese/Aniston pivoted to TV. 

Totally aside from the question of which factors more accurately explain BO performance, the higher star driven success model seems kind of depressing to me. The greater a % of a movie’s performance is explained by a handful of famous people, the less credit goes to, you know, the actual important parts of the movie — premise, characters, plot, so on so on. I know a lot of people lamented the end of the 90s/00s in this regard, but I think it was great. 

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Haha 1

Are we even having a debate to whether Sandra or Channing is a bigger draw?

Sandra Bullock is easily one of the biggest draws in the last 30 years, and one of the few actresses who can reliably sell a movie (in particular comedies), despite having had a few duds.

The vast majority of people will see both Bullock and Tatum on the posters/trailers and be swayed much more by Bullock. Let's not kid ourselves here.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Honestly I think Sandra Bullock is the bigger deal for Lost City. She is catnip to every suburban mother. Tatum fans, please don't yell at me for saying this.

I dont think there is any actor who's a bigger draw than Sandra Bullock if I'm honest. Not even Leo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tarintino said:

I dont think there is any actor who's a bigger draw than Sandra Bullock if I'm honest. Not even Leo

I would argue had it been theatrical Bird Box would have been a $150M grosser easy. So she's definitely underappreciated with her drawing power. I'm with you.

But she's not Leo.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

-Clooney was definitely famous but yes, it is tough to say that he was a true A-list draw. Seemingly every film he tried to carry on his own flopped. 

-Tatum is about 1/10th as big of a draw as Bullock. Tatum pretty much took over the "likable heartthrob with appeal to both women and men" role in Hollywood after Josh Hartnett disappeared. He was in a handful of modestly popular films (Dear John, Magic Mike 1, both Jump Street movies, GI Joe) though he has no truly iconic role. He tried a bit of drama (Foxcatcher) and had 1 massive flop (Jupiter Ascending). He is a name but his girl fanbase is mostly in their late 20s/30s now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BruiseCruise said:

Cruise 

Internationally, yes. Domestically, not so much. What was his last domestic hit outside of Mission Impossible? Jack Reacher, Oblivion, The Mummy, Edge of Tomorrow etc all did pretty bad business in the US

3 hours ago, thedast said:

Perhaps this is why she's taking a break. Same as how Cameron Diaz pretty much retired in her 40s, Julia Roberts fell off the radar and Reese/Aniston pivoted to TV. 

Bullock is a few years away from turning 60 and is still considered as in demand as ever so I doubt that's it. She said she just wanted to spend more time with her family. A fine choice that doesn't take away from her achievements. Decade-spanning careers at the top like the one Meryl has enjoyed clearly don't grow on trees.