BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Haha. Seems that way given how frontloaded it is... I'd have to imagine though it will be interesting with MCU directors Waititi, Gunn and Reed likely having a ton of leeway on what they do with Thor, Guardians and Ant-Man given each has done at least one successful or even enormously successful MCU flick already. Especially Waititi and Gunn... I imagine they'll have more freedom to essentially do in what they want... Probably about the same level Gunn had with his Suicide Squad. I mean, these obviously won't be rated R but I think you get what I mean... 

And Coogler?

23 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Its already 5m behind CW with much more competion compared to that that CW had in 2016. CW had all the same benefits of memorial day weekend , summer weekdays and that didnt help its legs either. top it off audience reception was way better than strange 2. 

but lets wait and see

The competition the next 2-3 weeks is more relevant:

CACW's weeks 3-5 had new films opening to a combined $70M, $92M (including another CBM), and $58M respectively, and had pushed up to $392 mil by 6/09

Strange is looking at like $20M, $100M+, and then a basically empty weekend before JWD, but still may not reach $390 by that point

I don't understand this "more competition" argument, especially in the short term. In the 4 weeks after CACW opening (5/13-6/09/16), The entire top 10 made $737M, of which CACW took in $169 (23%), and by that date had banked 96% of what would be its final DOM ($392/$408). There is nowhere near that level of strength in the BO this year before JWD, with perhaps the lone exception of Top Gun, but again CACW had Apocalypse on that same weekend

8 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Why is DS2 WOM so bad? I enjoyed it. Didn't understand the plot exactly but it was a fun ride at the theatre. 

Thinking it's being perceived as a bait and switch as the movie people expected from the marketing is not what they received. I think from going round and round and even with the other issues with it, that's the big one. So on top of the issues the movie definitely has even though it's pretty fun in spurts, word got out pretty fast that it's very much a Strange and Wanda flick more so than anything. Heck, at that, it's maybe a Wanda flick more than a Strange flick even. Ideally, it's stabilize starting this week and the next weekend and then have okay-ish legs from there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Huge movies since 2006 that were clearly the children of their directors (imo) and where that style of filmmaking didnt lead to bad legs:

Like you said, the Pirates first two sequels and the two Guardians movies. Would add Ragnarok as well since that is 100% a Taika Waititi movie.

The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises as true Nolan Batman films. Less "weird" and more the technical/methodical stamp of his films. 

Not that many actually. Most really giant movies (Avengers/Star Wars sequels/Jurassic World etc) dont have that many aspects in them that would signal that a certain director must be the one that stood behind the camera. Unlike films like DMC or AWE, where its clear as day that they are Gore Verbinski movies.

Avatar (2009) is very debatable as well imo. But while everyone knows its a James Cameron movie, his films actually are very different from one another (someone who doesnt know films that much would probably say Terminator 2, Titanic and Avatar are 3 films from 3 different directors), rather Cameron films each have a "style" of their own.

Inception was pretty big worldwide and it is the quintessential Nolan movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

And Coogler?

Yeah. I thought about him. You're right. I just didn't mention Wakanda Forever because the production has had so much adversity with the untimely passing of Boseman, to Covid delays, to actors not being vaccinated to rumored re-writes. But, yes, I imagine he has a lot of leeway on the movie. I still expect that one to get delayed again. The Thor and Guardians Vol. 3 shoots appeared on the surface to not be as tumultuous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Inception was pretty big worldwide and it is the quintessential Nolan movie.

Oh, without question. I was thinking more in line with big property, franchise films.

Actually, there's a really obvious super successful franchise that has the director's stamp all the heck over it and then some that I completely forgot... Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon, Age of Extinction and The Last Night. All of 'em scream Bay. While returns definitely diminished by the end, the first four especially did awesome WW at the box office. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Please fucking knock it off for once.

Please be chill for once.

It is just funny because it is a bad drop. That is all. Sweet jesus man, you need to breath for a fucking minute.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

I don't understand this "more competition" argument, especially in the short term. In the 4 weeks after CACW opening (5/13-6/09/16), The entire top 10 made $737M, of which CACW took in $169 (23%), and by that date had banked 96% of what would be its final DOM ($392/$408). There is nowhere near that level of strength in the BO this year before JWD, with perhaps the lone exception of Top Gun, but again CACW had Apocalypse on that same weekend

Apocalypse opened with 79m 4 day.

TGM is looking 100M+ 4 day with a possibility of it exploding .

JWD is going to be way bigger , light-year could be 90m+

DS2 alienates one of marvels biggest demographic i.e families and JWD and light year are gonna eat it up.

think the OW was just pretty inflated from being seen as the “follow-up” to NWH with the promo and rumors. And now its slowly going back to what it would have grossed without that assumption, since pretty much the whole film is on TikTok/other social media, which I think is still pretty good for what the film actually is - a follow up to WandaVision. Scarlet Witch movie next please!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Lost City will be hitting $100M with no assistance required. 

Major win for all involved, and a good sign going forward. I wonder if hitting $100 million will push WB to make MM3 theatrical.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Apocalypse opened with 79m 4 day.

TGM is looking 100M+ 4 day with a possibility of it exploding .

JWD is going to be way bigger , light-year could be 90m+

DS2 alienates one of marvels biggest demographic i.e families and JWD and light year are gonna eat it up.

Well, I actually expect Disney to use Lightyear to pad it a bit with double features. And, it'll be pretty much in low numbers by the time Jurassic World is out I imagine. That's Strange's 5th weekend. Maverick will hit it hard but it's also a holiday weekend with the only two budget option being Maverick as a clear #1 but Strange as the clear #2.

That Doctor Strange Deadline piece was a journey. Talking about his cousins reaction to the film, who the fuck cares? lol

However he is right about Marvel just doing too much at the minute and forgetting about the quality. The buzz for each project (tv and movies) now is dwindling apart from Thor and Black Panther.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

ds2 relying so much on WandaVision was probably a mistake. If you think those Marvel shows are MASH Level TV phenomenons think again

Also, weren't we told we didn't have to watch the TV shows in order to understand the movies. Didn't Feige say that.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

ds2 relying so much on WandaVision was probably a mistake. If you think those Marvel shows are MASH Level TV phenomenons think again

Agree with this.

Having to include Wanda and her storyline just took away from making a fun Doctor Strange movie. It’s probably the reason Scott Derrickson left.

Waldron even said that Wanda wasn’t the villain of the movie until he and Raimi we’re brought on.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Both were also family movies after two years of turmoil for the genre. Bodes well for Lightyear/Minions/Super-Pets this summer.

Edit: unless the other you're referring to is Everything Everywhere (since that began as a March release but didn't expand until April). Still, The Bad Guys has done fine all things considered.

Oh yeh: Bad Guys and Sonic 2. EEAAO is still a March release. 

I wonder if Men will make more than Firestarter did next weekend, despite playing in less than half of the locations?

(if it’s still estimated at 1,600)

Before we claim with certainty that milestone X, Y, Z is dead, lets see if the movie stabilizes in upcoming days and weeks. MCU movies have that tendency so DS2 may not be different. I don't have a dog in this fight cause I didn't like it much (may be due to the universe and main character  - charmless wizarding world - since I didn't like first DS either) but I'm interested in boxoffice mechanism and MCU is pretty consistent with late legs. So we'll see. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1