Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I like the first Ant Man but that second one, one of the worst MCU films imo 

Yep, aimless. Also, villain who isn't a villain does not work. SH movies have very clear dichotomy so when that is disbalance so is the movie.

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

As I mentioned yesterday, Rogers communications had a complete shutdown yesterday in canada. Most of the debits and credit machines in the country are run by the Rogers network. I'm not saying there's going to be a massive uptick in movies today, but it wouldn't surprise me if yesterday's outage here in Canada did affect the box office. People did not have access to their debit or credit cards and in a lot of cases the ATMs were also down. So it's possible maybe films see a slightly higher  increase today. So instead of Minions going up something like 38% maybe it goes up 40%. Just something to be aware of if the numbers look like they have a little bit more of an increase today than what we are expecting.

Rogers was able to restore most, if not all services last night according to https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/rogers-communications-services-down-thousands-users-downdetector-2022-07-08/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Regular plain-Jane tickets are $18. I could swear they used to be less than $13 5 years ago. This is an expensive urban theater, though.

Yeah, like for one with the current exchange rate my theater is $18.05 for a 2D Thor, Minions, Top Gun or Jurassic show this weekend. Elvis and Lightyear are £1 cheaper, while The Black Phone is the only movie on at the base ticket price. 

2 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

Yeah everything was restored probably by about 11:00 p.m. I started getting messages from my friends that were with Rogers probably around 9:00 p.m.

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I like the first Ant Man but that second one, one of the worst MCU films imo 

I need to rewatch it but I remember having a good time with it.  It wasn’t as backward a step as L&T, or Dark World, or IM2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Actors like Bale, Portman, and Crowe aren’t cheap and Hemsworth likely got a nice pay rise as well

and Crowe was awful in it too. Not entirely his fault, but the whole way they wrote that character summed up what I thought of the movie overall. Just not funny 

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Rings’s $320-380 million range across the trilogy was the current $500-600 million. All of those movies were gigantic. 

Yes which is why they didn't have 100-200M increases between installements. It would be impossible. All fandom (diehard + casual audience) were already there in full force. It couldn't have gone over cause the rest were audience that simply isn't into fantasy and nothing - no praise, no WOM, no Oscars - could make them interested. When we get predictions that X will make 500M cause previous X made 300M, they assume that audience that wasn't interested will miraculously become interested. Yet NWH didn't get that audience, they got fans of Tobey and Andrew movies that didn't follow Holland movies. Not all Spiderman fans followed all Spiderman movies. So that part that was done with Spiderman had their interest re-awaken. 

It seems to me that some people here want to believe that their favorite character has potential to make as much money as some other favorite character. Whether that is true or not. So when that doesn't happen, blame is laid on quality (if it was only so freakin amazing it would have made _______ I'm sure of it!) or whatever else. Yet it isn't so, at all. Iron Man 3 was crap but it made 1.2B cause people just love Stark. TWS is still hailed one of MCU's finest and it couldn't even sniff IM3 despite raves. Why? Because Cap was never as popular as Stark. People love both but they love Stark way more hence why his middling movie outgrossed MCU masterpiece. Thor was never Stark level popularity either. Etc. 

My point is this creates disappoitment where there should be none. If a movie opens above previous one and has bigger lifetime no matter whether it's bigger by 10M or 100M, it did the job. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

The appeal is you get much more time to develop your characters and you can go much more indepth in terms of story. TV has never been better than right now. There's a treasure trove of quality shows available, especially if you don't limit yourself to just stuff made in america. Don't know what's bad about having too much of a good thing. Maybe for content creators due to competition and having to fight for audiences' attention but not for the consumers. I watch more TV than movies these days because for me personally it's more satisfying, i'm more emotionally invested in the stories.

Community (2009)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hopefully the response here is a true wake up call. This movie was a complete disaster. The final shot is supposed to be epic but instead is the definition of cringe. 

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Also...since we're discussing TV shows...Arcane was one of the best shows ever and I was floored by how utterly astonishing it was. Pitch-perfect characterization, story, and dialogue with stunning world building. 

And Stranger Things Season 4 was great...as good as the first season.

Yeah, Arcane was incredible. I expected a mediocre tie-in and got a fantastic product that perfectly stands on its own.

Edited by JustLurking

I rewatched Thor Ragnarok yesterday cause I thought it was crap when I saw it in the cinema. Was actually very enjoyable, a lot more fun than Doctor Snooze in the Multiverse of Boredom.

Glad Only Murders is back. Glad Primal is back in less than two weeks. Good palate cleansers to that hilariously stuck in quicksand Stranger Thing 4's season/finale that took me about 12 hours to get through as I continued pause due to boredom to clean around the house starting it back up to get through another 15 or 20 minutes then back to cleaning. Glad others like that show but, wow, after the first season... Just wow. Enormously redundant. Each season after the first could be, I'm not exaggerating, 8+ hours shorter and not lose much of anything.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1