charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

So-- assuming normalish drops this week, on the slightly generous side, (down high 20s percent tomorrow, up mid 60s Friday) Thor would be at 238 after a 50 mil weekend (-65.3%). Minions would be at 265 after a 28ish weekend (-39%). 

Ragnarok was at 212 after a 57 mil weekend. Only ended with a 2.8x from there, but that was right before it cratered -62% against Justice League. Far From Home three summers ago pulled a 3.56x from its second weekend, a testament to summer weekday power. Black Widow did 3.01x from a second weekend drop that appears to be what Thor is about to emulate.

Minions 2015 pulled a 4.2x from its third weekend-- and Rise of Gru seems to be pulling ahead of the relatively poor legs the first one had...

Seems the best case scenario for Thor would be Far From Home's multiplier (366) and a near-worst case scenario would be the Black Widow multiplier (316). Whereas there's a much more direct comp for Minions that if followed would head for 350 flat.

Both will obviously benefit from a much lighter second half of summer than we even saw last summer. But if I was putting money on this right now... I'd actually say Minions ends above Thor?

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Gopher said:

So-- assuming normalish drops this week, on the slightly generous side, (down high 20s percent tomorrow, up mid 60s Friday) Thor would be at 238 after a 50 mil weekend (-65.3%). Minions would be at 265 after a 28ish weekend (-39%). 

Ragnarok was at 212 after a 57 mil weekend. Only ended with a 2.8x from there, but that was right before it cratered -62% against Justice League. Far From Home three summers ago pulled a 3.56x from its second weekend, a testament to summer weekday power. Black Widow did 3.01x from a second weekend drop that appears to be what Thor is about to emulate.

Minions 2015 pulled a 4.2x from its third weekend-- and Rise of Gru seems to be pulling ahead of the relatively poor legs the first one had...

Seems the best case scenario for Thor would be Far From Home's multiplier (366) and a near-worst case scenario would be the Black Widow multiplier (316). Whereas there's a much more direct comp for Minions that if followed would head for 350 flat.

Both will obviously benefit from a much lighter second half of summer than we even saw last summer. But if I was putting money on this right now... I'd actually say Minions ends above Thor?

Thor has one problem next weekend, it loses IMAX and some PLFs to Nope. That will cause a bigger than expected drop on the third weekend.

$600m+ for TGM. What a crazy run and who would have thought.

Although $700m doesn't look possible now and more likely around $650m or so. Since Thor's release it is holding kind of ok. Maybe it lost many shows to Thor?

Looks like it may do around same in OS for $1.3b WW

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Thor has one problem next weekend, it loses IMAX and some PLFs to Nope. That will cause a bigger than expected drop on the third weekend.

Far From Home and Black Widow lost IMAX/PLFs its third weekend too. So maybe -50% for Thor in weekend three? I don't think it's gonna take quite the same hit since Nope is R-rated.  

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve never heard of it, but Mr Malcom’s List there wasting over 1,000 locations with a PTA of $57. Bleecker Street have never had one single hit, how are they still a thing? 

I'm assuming it's like Lionsgate where the movies break even before they even hit theaters thanks to international rights sales.

4 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

You know... I've been with this forum since the BOM days. Not always regularly, then I messed up my account and had to move up a number from 18 to 19. Then I started losing interest in box office, then the pandemic, and I just couldn't be bothered with all the doom and gloom about cinemas, the talk about streaming, just endless Marvel movies and TV shows and on and on and on. So I never bothered commenting again even when my fingers itched. But I've been lurking, and I feel like I wanna say my peace as well...

There's a difference between expressing opinions and arguing politely and turning "anti-wokeness" and general culture war shit into a way of life. And when you add smugness and condescension into the mix, it's never pretty. Frankly, a lot of those types of posts were the reason I either stayed away altogether or didn't comment, because I decided it's not healthy for me to get involved in these sorts of flame wars.

I think EC's insights will be missed (though hopefully he will return), but he definitely needs to work on his delivery a bit.

Having said all that...

• Thor Love and Thunder was complete dogshit.
  • Doctor Strange was part dogshit. Decent Raimi-isms throughout, but overall uncreative, unremarkable, instantly forgettable.
  • EEAAO was amazing. Give it all the awards.
  • Top Gun Maverick was awesome and while American exceptionalism (as in, INDIVIDUAL exceptionalism, with an individual pilot being the iconic embodiment of American superlative - given they make a point of being the underdogs technologically here) brought in the more conservative whites out and Fox News embraced it, I can't begrudge them that. I haven't been on the edge of my seat like I was for that third act in ages (probably since Fallout, really)
  • Pretty much all the Disney+ MCU and SW shows are complete dogshit.
  • WB continues to be a shitshow and what they did with their slate last year is unforgivable. DC in particular continues to be run by monkeys, judging by how hit-and-miss they are (The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were great, WW84 was terrible and The Batman was good but each scene needed to be slightly trimmed, as it went from "build tension and atmosphere" to "get on with it alreeeeeeady!!!",The Black Adam trailer was horrendous, and The Flash is clearly cursed).
  • How in the hell did they manage to take the FB series from "cute, harmless, Potter-lite fun" to complete dogshit over the course of 3 movies? 
  • JWD is stupider than the previous entries (including the famous ALAN-led JP3), but it was entertaining. I think the Malta Jason Bourne-style chase is exactly what the movie needed to be. A world-spanning caper which has the dinos in urban areas for fun, over-the-top scenes. But hey, I was advocating a Fast and Furious crossover with JW after Fallen Order - who better to track dinosaurs and catch them than LA FAMIGLIA? But I don't run Universal, so they went with this shit instead...
  • Speaking of Fast and Furious - fuck me, was the 9th one bad. Cements my opinion than Vin Diesel can't have so much of the focus in those movies, otherwise it collapses into a black hole of stupidity, with not enough charisma to hold it up).
  • No Way Home was almost unwatchable dogshit, propped up by terrible effects, nostalgia and fan service. But Goddamn if it wasn't a fun experience at the movies. That's the good shit that you don't get at home, on your sofa. The thrill of 200 people cheering for Andrew Garfield!
  • Eternals was a pretty-looking piece of dogshit, hampered by not being a miniseries
  • Shang Chi was an amazing, God level action flick for 3/4 of the runtime then it devolved into complete dogshit.
  • Black Widow exists

I hope Love and Thunder finishes under Ragnarok, I hope Dominion beats Strange, I hope Avatar 2 can somehow be a good movie, to justify its long gestation, and at the same time, it underperforms at the box office, because despite my love for the theatrical experience I doubt even DC, SW or MCU meltdowns would be as entertaining for me as a James Cameron failure. 

In conclusion, movies suck now, but I still love watching the big dumb fun on a big screen, and love to read about their box office here. Just with less condescension now, hopefully...

Peace!

Omg can not believe with my own two eyes that I'm seeing a Reddevil post in 2022. 

Have been blessed today

• Like 4

I’m not very active here any more and I’ve had my share of silliness and meltdowns here and there, but once I heard this news I made a donation to BOT

This community started because we collectively decided to support a place where we wouldn’t need to worry about getting shut down capriciously because some company bought some other company — @Shawn and @Water Bottle stepped up big time to make it happen, and those of you who were around pre-2011 know what things were like back then. 

From Mojo to the Refugee forum to BO.com to

BOT… we’ve had times when we had insider numbers and times when we didn’t. No one here is bigger than the collective community here and frankly someone whining in public about how they got suspended for being a jackass shows absolutely no self-awareness or responsibility. What a colossal self-own.

BOT will endure.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Just now, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Why are they not including the re-release for TITANIC?

I 100% bet they would include re-release figures for GONE WITH THE WIND, E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, STAR WARS, JURASSIC PARK, or THE LION KING.

So they can say they passed it...AGAIN, in a month's time or so.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Why are they not including the re-release for TITANIC?

I 100% bet they would include re-release figures for GONE WITH THE WIND, E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, STAR WARS, JURASSIC PARK, or THE LION KING.

Who's not including the re-releases of Titanic?

oh lmao looks like it's Top Gun Maverick

Edited by cannastop

Hello, the old bad bitch of this forum is back for now!

Many of you may not know this, but I have followed this community since Revenge Of The Sith. I was on Box Office Mojo and followed every board since then until this one.

Though I will not disclose my old names for privacy, I did want to speak up on this community.

I met a variety of people through my old love of the box office and film industry. I enjoyed learning and talking about projects and the industry as a whole.

I witnessed the runs of The Dark Knight, Avatar, The Force Awakens, etc. I would join in on the forum-wide events because I genuinely enjoyed in interacting with a lot of the members of this community. I played in Box Office Survivor a few times, won even once. Was the Parvati of the games, if I do say so myself.

Happened to be around to experience the legacies of people like Fishnets & Shawn, real icons of this community. Engaged with them and felt this place really vibrate in its sheer passion and interest in the box office. It was incredible.

While a part of this community, I witnessed the runs of classics like The Dark Knight, Avatar, The Force Awakens, etc. I was excited to be a part of this. During this time, I would get into spouts with a bunch of y'all bitches cause a lot of you would spout problematic things at the time.

Did I cross the line? A lot of the time, and I admitted it cause I'm very transparent. I always handled the consequences or punishment of calling someone a bitch or whack, etc. It's accountability, which is very apparent some of you don't really understand this concept. If you act out, you are going to face consequences, it's normal.

No one should be able to get away with their reckless behavior. In fact, I used to call out a couple of the older mods for their behavior and hypocrisy. I'd get accordingly warned in the process by going toe to toe, but I knew it was expected.

This shouldn't be out of the norm to anyone. A lot of you are claiming the mods are harsher now, but I disagree. They're quite consistent with the rules and handling of the past. If anything, I think the members as a whole are more blunt and reckless with their behavior and words, which is why the moderators are coming down.

Just in this thread, there's a lot of behavior that wouldn't have flown back in the day. People and places evolve, it's a part of life. On this basis, I find it unfair to hold these moderators to the expectations of back in the day. Frankly, I believe they're not hard enough.

Seeing people echo harmful and problematic sentiments without a warning has been something I've noticed, though I reckon it's because it doesn't directly break the rules. The people, not the moderators, are why I took a break. Seeing people I used to interact with back in the day either be homophobic, racist, or transphobic is what really pushed me away.

As of late, my best interactions have been with the moderators. The only reason I still hold on here is because I did find a few people to really connect with like my love, @Spidey Freak, dear old friend @Plain Old Tele, and sister @Cap.

Nevertheless, it's also easy to say anything was better back in the day. Duh, nostalgia. Not everything is gonna remain the same. Didn't expect this place to, kinda outgrew it. On that note, I'm glad the moderators held EC accountable. He's always had a holier than thou attitude, and it definitely isn't the first time he's crossed the line or belittled people. Stop defending and protecting your messy and problematic friends, hold them accountable.

Moderators are usually always doing their best to protect the community, and this case is no different. They're honestly quite fair. Anytime I tried to offer my body or acts of, you know, service for favor always fell on deaf ears. And, I tried it with many!

Edited by Claire of Themyscira
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Hello, the old bad bitch of this forum is back for now!

Many of you may not know this, but I have followed this community since Revenge Of The Sith. I was on Box Office Mojo and followed every board since then until this one.

Though I will not disclose my old names for privacy, I did want to speak up on this community.

I met a variety of people through my old love of the box office and film industry. I enjoyed learning and talking about projects and the industry as a whole.

I witnessed the runs of The Dark Knight, Avatar, The Force Awakens, etc. I would join in on the forum-wide events because I genuinely enjoyed in interacting with a lot of the members of this community. I played in Box Office Survivor a few times, won even once. Was the Parvati of the games, if I do say so myself.

Happened to be around to experience the legacies of people like Fishnets & Shawn, real icons of this community. Engaged with them and felt this place really vibrate in its sheer passion and interest in the box office. It was incredible.

While a part of this community, I witnessed the runs of classics like The Dark Knight, Avatar, The Force Awakens, etc. I was excited to be a part of this. During this time, I would get into spouts with a bunch of y'all bitches cause a lot of you would spout problematic things at the time.

Did I cross the line? A lot of the time, and I admitted it cause I'm very transparent. I always handled the consequences or punishment of calling someone a bitch or whack, etc. It's accountability, which is very apparent some of you don't really understand this concept. If you act out, you are going to face consequences, it's normal.

No one should be able to get away with their reckless behavior. In fact, I used to call out a couple of the older mods for their behavior and hypocrisy. I'd get accordingly warned in the process by going toe to toe, but I knew it was expected.

This shouldn't be out of the norm to anyone. A lot of you are claiming the mods are harsher now, but I disagree. They're quite consistent with the rules and handling of the past. If anything, I think the members as a whole are more blunt and reckless with their behavior and words, which is why the moderators are coming down.

Just in this thread, there's a lot of behavior that wouldn't have flown back in the day. People and places evolve, it's a part of life. On this basis, I find it unfair to hold these moderators to the expectations of back in the day. Frankly, I believe they're not hard enough.

Seeing people echo harmful and problematic sentiments without a warning has been something I've noticed, though I reckon it's because it doesn't directly break the rules. The people, not the moderators, are why I took a break. Seeing people I used to interact with back in the day either be homophobic, racist, or transphobic is what really pushed me away.

As of late, my best interactions have been with the moderators. The only reason I still hold on here is because I did find a few people to really connect with like my love, @Spidey Freak, dear old friend @Plain Old Tele, and sister @Cap.

Nevertheless, it's also easy to say anything was better back in the day. Duh, nostalgia. Not everything is gonna remain the same. Didn't expect this place to, kinda outgrew it. On that note, I'm glad the moderators held EC accountable. He's always had a holier than thou attitude, and it definitely isn't the first time he's crossed the line or belittled people. Stop defending and protecting your messy and problematic friends, hold them accountable.

Moderators are usually always doing their best to protect the community, and this case is no different. They're honestly quite fair. Anytime I tried to offer my body or acts of, you know, service for favor always fell on deaf ears. And, I tried it with many!

Hey girl hey.

• Like 1