Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

8 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

My Cineworld seemingly forgot to put any ads or trailers on my showing, we got 3 Cineworld ads in a row, the IMAX ident and then straight into the film. Looks like somebody made a goof while programming it, lol.

Ours did that with Black Adam strangely, but no adverts at all, just started at 7.30. Weird! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

We only have one IMAX here with this kind of laser technology and it's like 3 hours away from me. 🙄

I wonder how different is it from 'just' an IMAX screen?

Laser projectors in general provide a crisper and more consistent picture than xenon bulb projectors (which are also variable in quality depending on how well they are maintained by individual theater). Also most lasers are capable of the HFR, while most older xenon (including IMAX) are not

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Damn you got lucky. We had 12 minutes of adverts and a further 23 minutes (yes TWENTY THREE) of trailers... a full 35 minutes before the film even started...

We’re getting to the point where it’s almost as long as America. I think the entire pre-show was about 45 minutes last time I saw a film in the US, there were 8 trailers.

4 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

No he just hasn't posted since yesterday.

But I haven't seen him online as well. It's not like he is here and he is not commenting.

I mean maybe hes watching Way of Water a bunch of times in a row?

• Haha 1

3 or 4 Billions are probably not happening, but one thing is kind of a lock.:  3 out of the 4 Top Ranking BO World Wide ranks will be James Cameron Movies.  Somewhere between Titanic and the Marvel Abomination (I Think) ?

WOM is insane here..

Edited by chaos

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So is Avatar 3 is almost done or...

I legit wouldn’t be surprised that upcoming sequels could fare better than this Avatar tbh. And regardless not making to $2B, Avatar will get its sequels. Plural. 

I just hope that this makes Cameron realize that he doesn’t need to direct all of them, other than 3 that it’s already done iirc.

12 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I've been trying explain this to people on here for the last year. 

The shift from spectacle driven blockbusters to character-driven ones is a huge thing that no one here is really talking about. 

The Marketing for this has been not good. It needed to start with teasers at NWH last year. 

The first film blew the roof off of hall h back in 09. Why wasn't it there? Why wasnt there an avatar day during the summer where you could drop a documentary on why it took 13 years?!

Some of this is on fox and Disney and some of it on James Cameron for not reaching out to other forms of media ( books, animated series, /anime. You have a deal with Ubisoft why didn't work with them to make games that help fill out the universe a decade ago?!)

Once again, as I said in the box office club I created, I could be wrong on this and it could be bigger than the 1st. But it's obvious to me the franchise has been mismanaged for various reasons for 13 years.

what are these character driven blockbusters you speak of?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

No he just hasn't posted since yesterday.

But I haven't seen him online as well. It's not like he is here and he is not commenting.

Let’s be honest, he’s probably not left the cinema all day, he’ll be on his 5th viewing with no time to post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaos said:

3 or 4 Billions are probably not happening, but one thing is kind of a lock.:  3 out of the 4 Top Ranking BO World Wide ranks will be James Cameron Movies.  Somewhere between Titanic and the Marvel Abomination (I Think) ?

WOM is insane here..

Genuine question, how do you know the WOM is insane?

7 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood -

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes may have simmered to 79% fresh, however, audience reactions as polled by Comscore/Screen Engine’s Posttrak are through the roof at 5 stars, 91% ad 82% definite recommend. They’re numbers any studio would crave. Audience make-up was 89% general, 5% parents, and 6% kids under 12. Men turned out a bit more than women at 59% to 41%. The 18-34 crowd repped 61% of all ticket buyers last night. Those over 45 were 14%. Those under 25 repped 41%. That latter number is potent given how some were concerned how older skewing this property would be. Again, the older Avatar fans will find their way to this movie with the right seat, right format they desire. No one wants to rush to see this sequel and be stuck in a 10 A.M. front seat in 2D.

Diversity turnout was 35% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 15% Asian, and 13% Black.

Did they forget to market it to white people?

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

after the numbers come in i'd hate to be the Disney guy who has to ask "Jim please, can it be like 2:20 this time?"

"Can we split this into 4 films?"

15 minutes ago, M37 said:

Laser projectors in general provide a crisper and more consistent picture than xenon bulb projectors (which are also variable in quality depending on how well they are maintained by individual theater). Also most lasers are capable of the HFR, while most older xenon (including IMAX) are not

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Genuine question, how do you know the WOM is insane?

Everyone who has seen it (that  I know for real and from forums) is stunned - The Cinemas  internal score is 96%.  Top Gun 2 had 90..

Never happened in the last few years.

And its a beautiful movie for the whole Family  ;)  - almost a perfect 4 Quadrant thing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chaos said:

Everyone who has seen it (that  I know for real and from forums) is stunned - The Cinemas  internal score is 96%.  Top Gun 2 had 90..

Never happened in the last few years.

And its a beautiful movie for the whole Family  ;)  - almost a perfect 4 Quadrant thing.

Do you have a link to that and reason to back up why that particular internal score matters over say Cinemascore or RT audience reviews? Latter doesn't count towards WOM.

Edited by Mulder