Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

what movies move to 2024 if this drags on?

Anything that hasn't started production and is within 12-14 months of release is definitely moving. Any movie which was gearing up for production will be shut down and will likely be delayed. 

Late night shows will be mainly affected, TV shows may not be that badly hurt since it is time for the season finales anyway and writers rooms won't reconvene for a month or so. 

This goes beyond writers and movies and tv shows. This might be the most prominent labor uprising against Big Tech we have seen yet, and it is going to have ramifications across industries. Beyond the regular corporate greed that is certainly present, the WGA is the tip of the spear against an entirely new environment meant to strip workers and creators of their autonomy and humanity. Don't want to give any names, but at the risk of clout chasing, I was talking to someone who is rather prominent in the tech world for my job, and they said that everyone should be waking up every day scared to fucking death of what is coming with AI. Think about how much of a little joke AI was about six months ago compared to what it is now. It's an insane acceleration that will reshape human labor, creativity, and basic interaction. This writer's strike is not only going to secure better pay for people that deserve every penny, but it will also be a real opportunity for creatives and workers to establish protections against AI and create a model moving forward for other labor sectors.

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Foreman said:

This will now be pinned for the next few days or weeks, as this is now official official.

that tweet thread is really silly - AI is a big concern for writers, but telling you to call out your friends for messing around with ChatGPT is just the weirdest response to have

• Thanks 2

On 4/30/2023 at 5:52 PM, SpiderByte said:

Yeah, films are fine. It'll impact some films but the ones it'll affect are further out. The big thing is stuff like late night TV which is scripted daily, then network television shows which have a short turnaround, and then cable and streaming (maybe extra tough for Netflix since, with a simultaneous release, multiple episodes are written at the same time). The films impacted will largely be smaller films or films that are very early in scripting.

They just hired a new writer for Blade so that will probably get delayed, a strike is a good scapegoat for marvel to delay Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars without saying they’re doing it because of Majors, and I think Thunderbolts and Deadpool 3 are still being re-written….I mean don’t marvel rewrite all of their movies up to release? I hope The Marvels already did all of their reshoots,

16 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

They just hired a new writer for Blade so that will probably get delayed, a strike is a good scapegoat for marvel to delay Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars without saying they’re doing it because of Majors, and I think Thunderbolts and Deadpool 3 are still being re-written….I mean don’t marvel rewrite all of their movies up to release? I hope The Marvels already did all of their reshoots,

That doesn't mean they can't still shoot material they have written, or, like on the first Iron Man, use improvised dialogue. Again, the big thing here is daily or week to week television, not feature films.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

That doesn't mean they can't still shoot material they have written, or, like on the first Iron Man, use improvised dialogue. Again, the big thing here is daily or week to week television, not feature films.

I agree, I think a lot of the dramatic posts on here about the mass release dates exodus are coming from people who don't understand how the film industry works and are adding 2+2 and getting 5. 

I suspect studios will be shuffling release dates anyway but more to get breathing room,