Eric Lasagna

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

31 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Both Winter Soldier and GOTG1 boosted the MCU making them more credible.

But Avengers was the game changer. Everyone pretty jumped on the Marvel train the moment when Loki got rag dolled.

Avengers was definitely the game changer. That movie exploded in 2012 beyond most peoples expectations. Dark Knight Rises was the movie to beat that year and Avengers did it at the beginning of the summer.

That said, I remember around 2014, after the “divisive for fans” Iron Man 3 and generally disliked Dark World, there was definitely a period there where people were wondering if Avengers was kind of a fluke and the MCU peaked with it. Winter Soldier was a surprise in performance and reception, but Guardians 1 was definitely looked at skeptically by a lot of people. I remember tons of people expecting it to be the MCU’s first flop. Even when early word of mouth and tracking came out, very very few expected it to beat Winter Soldier. Let alone end up the biggest movie of the year thus far. 

Avengers shot the MCU into the stratosphere, but I’m pretty sure it was Guardians that made a lot of people come to the realization “Marvel can do no wrong” at that point in time.

• Like 10

TA1 was the last MCU film I saw at the cinema. I remember thinking the first half hour was really bad, like, how the hell is anyone calling this a good movie bad. But by the mid-point when hulk appears it really clicked, and by the last third I was practically laughing out loud at how fun it all was. I think there have been a handful of superior entries since but none have captured the unmitigated, large-scale joy of that first finale (yes, even Endgame).

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

With all the talk of quality, I have a question. Do you all think it's been a mistake for Marvel to go so long between Avengers movies? I feel like Avengers flicks, even AoU, work as a good "reset" that can bring general audiences back around. In the process, it gets them excited for the other flicks in general. It's not a cure all for a "lack of quality", but how many people actually know that "phase 4" ended? Beyond that, I wonder how many people are just waiting around for the next Avengers or even Spidey.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

With all the talk of quality, I have a question. Do you all think it's been a mistake for Marvel to go so long between Avengers movies? I feel like Avengers flicks, even AoU, work as a good "reset" that can bring general audiences back around. In the process, it gets them excited for the other flicks in general. It's not a cure all for a "lack of quality", but how many people actually know that "phase 4" ended? Beyond that, I wonder how many people are just waiting around for the next Avengers or even Spidey.

Huge mistake, IMO.  They should have done a "regular" Avengers movie (i.e., not universe-ending stakes) in between Endgame and Kang Dynasty.

Part of what made the MCU the MCU was seeing all the disparate characters coming together.  If they had put out an Avengers film this year, bringing whoever is left from Phase 1 along with all the new characters, would given a huge boost to all of them.

As for best trilogy, it's probably going to be GOTG (assuming 3 as good as advertised), but give me Homecoming, Far From Home, and No Way Home over Cap or any other three films.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

TA1 was the last MCU film I saw at the cinema. I remember thinking the first half hour was really bad, like, how the hell is anyone calling this a good movie bad. But by the mid-point when hulk appears it really clicked, and by the last third I was practically laughing out loud at how fun it all was. I think there have been a handful of superior entries since but none have captured the unmitigated, large-scale joy of that first finale (yes, even Endgame).

Agreed on the finales. Endgame nailed the emotional beats of the final battle, but it was a boring, grey and brown, boxed in location. Whereas A1 used NYC to great effect. It's a lot more effective and exciting seeing Thor and Iron Man flying through New York or Hawkeye perching a top a building and sniping aliens from afar. That one shot tracking take going from Avenger to Avenger all throughout NYC is still one of my favorite action moments in the MCU. 

Edited by GambitPool
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Huge mistake, IMO.  They should have done a "regular" Avengers movie (i.e., not universe-ending stakes) in between Endgame and Kang Dynasty.

Part of what made the MCU the MCU was seeing all the disparate characters coming together.  If they had put out an Avengers film this year, bringing whoever is left from Phase 1 along with all the new characters, would given a huge boost to all of them.

As for best trilogy, it's probably going to be GOTG (assuming 3 as good as advertised), but give me Homecoming, Far From Home, and No Way Home over Cap or any other three films.

Such a weird decision of theirs to abandon the franchise structure that got them to the dance. Phase 4 is essentially a random assortment of characters and plotlines. There could've been an interesting throughline via the multiverse stuff, but instead they gave us like 5 different reasons for the incursions, worsening the already fractured nature of the phase. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Avengers was definitely the game changer. That movie exploded in 2012 beyond most peoples expectations. Dark Knight Rises was the movie to beat that year and Avengers did it at the beginning of the summer.

Avengers received an epic 3D bump, don't forget. Hollywood reporter in 2012 noted that on its $207m opening weekend, $37m was in 3D surcharges. It's $170m would have obviously been crushed by DARK KNIGHT RISES had that loser not massacred so many poor people at midnight screening and created the ultimate buzzkill around the films premiere. 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Which MCU trilogy is the best?

Captain America or GotG?

Or something else?

Easily GOTG for me, because I think Civil War is an absolute chore of a film to sit through.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am surprised Deadline has not put out an early number. We may have to wait for Charlie to come back online. Or @RthMav drops in later this evening. 

Ummm, probably b/c they are waiting for Charlie, too...

No number probably means interesting number that they don't want to go with yet...or they are just taking an early Friday...

• Heart 1

The James Gunn Marvel Studios title is spotting $47M-$48M today, including $17.5M previews, for what will hopefully be a $110M start. One analyst tells us that dollar for dollar that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is looking a lot like Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Both movies did about $37M in presales with the latter debuting to $106.1M (which was a franchise record opening) over its Friday-Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/box-office-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-1235357869/

• Like 1

And just like that - from Deadline...https://deadline.com/2023/05/box-office-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-1235357869/

Some interesting further discussion...

"The James Gunn Marvel Studios title is spotting $47M-$48M today."

"Great exits from last night as we told you, however, there’s a feeling that something might be slowing the Guardians down.

Social media analytics firm RelishMix observed that there was mixed chatter out there on social for the latest Guardians movie."

Edited by TwoMisfits