Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Casey mumble Aflleck is the best actor? He was the worst part of Oppenheimer. You really can't understand what he says. His diction is so bad

Is good diction what makes someone a good actor? Lol

Just now, MOVIEGUY said:

Is good diction what makes someone a good actor? Lol

diction and speech. If i can't understand them, why bother? Casey really gets on my nerves with his mumbling. He and his brother are not good actors. At least Ben is a great director

1 minute ago, TMP said:

That was Jupiter Ascending for me, I think there was enough weird lizard brain shit in it for me to stomach a whole movie where Dane Dehaan is supposed to be a believable bad-ass

I remember I was just watching it cuz it was on TV and during an ad break I was reading the Letterboxd reviews for the film and a bunch of them were calling an action scene that happens like half an hour in the best part, which made me go "That? What I just saw was the high point?" that made me turn off the TV.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

I feel like comparisons to 2014 are unfair, July will surpass 2014s July by Tuesday and will probably end up just under 1.3 billion for the month which is basically on par with 2019

Massive, insane inflation since then. I don’t just completely ignore inflation when looking at the box office. Admissions are def usually stronger than this in the summers 

• Like 1

Who's the actor that played the lead in Detective Pikachu and a co-star in Jurassic World 2? In both movies, especially the latter, he was absolutely awful and insufferable.

Casting him as the lead in DP was absolutely ridiculous. It was crazy that they went with a storyline of a spinoff in the main series, but just as crazy to cast him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Who's the actor that played the lead in Detective Pikachu and a co-star in Jurassic World 2? In both movies, especially the latter, he was absolutely awful and insufferable.

Casting him as the lead in DP was absolutely ridiculous. It was crazy that they went with a storyline of a spinoff in the main series, but just as crazy to cast him.

He was pretty good in D&D

• Like 3

Finally been able to see the numbers. Barbie wasn't able to quite get to the highest WB opening like I was predicting but still a fantastic debut for it and the best 3-day opening of the year. You love to see it. Oppenheimer also with the highest non-Batman opening of Nolan's career is great to see too, guy is officially untouchable and a one of a kind draw in the realm of Hollywood right now.

MI7 completely collapsed, largest drop for the series ever. Disappointing to say the least but at least Part Two is guaranteed, I will take comfort in the fact that at least the movie was very good quality and it's international numbers are already above Indy 5 so that should be good for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

number of summer titles that made more than 30M

summer 2014 - 35

summer 2023 - 15 so far

Summer being May-August? 

mk so it's first weekend of May to first weekend of September, Haunted Mansion, TMNT, Meg 2, Gran Turismo, Maybe Last Voyage of the demeter, maybe strays and blue beetle, then Equalizer. So that's 8 that'd say have a good chance, still well below but it does get them to 24. That said August 2014 was pretty insane being the #2 August and only losing to 2016 by like 1mil.

Edited by Ledmonkey96

39 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dune 2 could open pretty big if everything goes right

The sense I got from the reception of the first Dune is that the general audience wasn't mega enthusiastic about it so I'd be shocked to see it go over 100 million.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

55 minutes ago, M37 said:

According to the Dolby website (cause AMC corp didn't have any easy to pull list), there are 127 Dolby Cinema locations in just 30 states (including DC), meaning 21 without one, another 9 with just a single one

And 106 of those sites concentrated in just 15 states, with over half (66) in just 5 states: CA, TX, FL, IL, NJ

And the coverage within states isn't even, either, as the nearest Dolby theater to Yours Truly is about 90 miles away by driving distance.

(AMC Dolby theaters are heavily concentrated in SoCal and the Bay Area and have next to no presence in the rest of the state)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think people are forgetting that capacity was absolutely an issue for both Barbie and Oppenheimer. And imo Barbie will play more like Wonder Woman than they other female skewing movies that everyone keeps bringing up. Where these movies were seen as popular from women, Wonder Woman and now Barbie are seen as important. So I think it could very well leg it out to something ridiculous like 500M +. Is it certain? Absolutely not. Is it impossible? Absolutely not.

PS no matter what Barbie end up doing, it is already a massive win for everyone involved. I am baffled how WB did not try to commit Gerwig to ensue a sequel soon and now she is committed on doing those Netflix Narnia films. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I think people are forgetting that capacity was absolutely an issue for both Barbie and Oppenheimer. And imo Barbie will play more like Wonder Woman than they other female skewing movies that everyone keeps bringing up. Where these movies were seen as popular from women, Wonder Woman and now Barbie are seen as important. So I think it could very well leg it out to something ridiculous like 500M +. Is it certain? Absolutely not. Is it impossible? Absolutely not.

PS no matter what Barbie end up doing, it is already a massive win for everyone involved. I am baffled how WB did not try to commit Gerwig to ensue a sequel soon and now she is committed on doing those Netflix Narnia films. 

Once again being committed to do movies X doesn't mean that director cannot do movies Y before movies X or after movies X. Committment doesn't mena production starts moving right away. 

I believe that it will leg it out over 500M. Nothing indicates that WOM is less than terrific.

Why are people expecting Dune to open to $100m?

The first movie got positive WOM, but it wasn't out of this world or anything. I understand it opened to $40m at a time where COVID still dominated, but for the sequel to hit $100m would be shocking. 

• Like 1