Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

Yes most remember that Venom 2 sales started soft but a big reason for that was last-minute date shuffling it had. It had very strong momentum quite early on itself just that tracking post CoVID was just starting, so we were just starting to make sense of trends in new world.

I can definitely see Venom 3 underperforming, given the lack of a strong selling point this time around. But all bets are off after how the last movie performed during presales. Seeing it suddenly defeat Black Widow and score the biggest opening of the decade by the end of the weekend was wild. You new Reddit kids wouldn't know.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I can definitely see Venom 3 underperforming, given the lack of a strong selling point this time around. But all bets are off after how the last movie performed during presales. Seeing it suddenly defeat Black Widow and score the biggest opening of the decade by the end of the weekend was wild. You new Reddit kids wouldn't know.

Hmm @charlie Jatinder u wouldn't know bud

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

so you’re probably not following the news…

spider-man fanbase is super excited for Venom specially because major reliable insiders are reporting ‘Venom: The Last Dance’ is the start of ‘King in Black’ saga, it’s introducing ‘Spider-Man 4’ main villain, Knull. This means Spider-Man will finally get the symbiote/black suit. And this makes sense, Spider-Man needs to have it in Secret Wars.

Edited by leoh

If Venom collapses as well, nothing makes sense anymore. You might as well bet Gladiator 2 will make a billion and probably succeed, considering how random and unpredictable market has became, I thought it was China or Japan thing.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This guy gets it

There was a Venom 2 under $42M OW club based on presales. We all know how that went.

On 9/30/2024 at 9:26 AM, vafrow said:

What's funny is that with Smile 2 tickets up for sale today, how much that poster feels like it could be a poster for Joker Folie a Deux. Especially with a pop singer angle to it. Throw in Terrifier as another clown based movie, Joker is a movie that weirdly doesn't stand out that well.

It could be that Terrifier and Venom are making Joker less of an event. We are going to get another crazy clown film and a much more conventional action filled CBM in just a week and 3 weeks later. People on the fence on the Joker just have to wait a little for another choice.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Firepower said:

If Venom collapses as well, nothing makes sense anymore. You might as well bet Gladiator 2 will make a billion and probably succeed, considering how random and unpredictable market has became, I thought it was China or Japan thing.

There is nothing Crazy or random on a gladiator sequel being a big movie. Why you act like you're saying next ari aster movie doing 1.5b dollars 😅

Edited by vale9001

56 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yes most remember that Venom 2 sales started soft but a big reason for that was last-minute date shuffling it had. It had very strong momentum quite early on itself just that tracking post CoVID was just starting, so we were just starting to make sense of trends in new world.

Spooky movie for spooky movie weekend...I wouldn't put down the chances of Venom 3 mimicking Venom 2 presales and insane late walk ups, just b/c of the release date... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

There is nothing Crazy or random on a gladiator sequel being a big movie. Why you act like you're saying next ari aster movie doing 1.5b dollars 😅

R rated swords and sandals epic making a billion would be crazy and random because there's no precedent, none of them made anything anywhere near those numbers, the genre is simply not popular with the general audience, especially today, most epics like that flopped or underperformed, even the first one didn't make a billion adjusting to inflation and it was huge compared to all other epics around that time, it's weird to me people pretend that a sequel without its lead star in a very unpopular genre is some easy sell, it's not. But if both Joker and Venom flop, who knows, maybe it would do something unprecedented just because it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Firepower

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

R rated swords and sandals epic making a billion would be crazy and random because there's no precedent, the genre is simply not popular with the general audience, especially today, most epics like that flopped or underperformed, even the first one didn't make a billion adjusting to inflation and it was huge compared to all other epics around that time.

It didn't make the 1b but It's One of the most popular movies of all time. More popular than the 90% of movies has made 1B 

If sandals Epic are popular or not Is a problem if you have to launch a new thing, this is the gladiator sequel so It's a specific thing popular for Its own.

I think like top fun or avatar this a sequel give to people just what they want and they expect. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

It didn't make the 1b but It's One of the most popular movies of all time. More popular than the 90% of movies has made 1B 

So was first Joker and it also had its star back, and yet...

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

If sandals Epic are popular or not Is a problem if you have to launch a new thing, this is the gladiator sequel so It's a specific thing popular for Its own.. 

Well, that's true, we didn't have many, if not any, sequels to those epics, mainly because most of them flopped :) It's untested territory, I think it'll flop hard, but considering what market has become, maybe it'll do something never seen before, for no reason.

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I think like top fun or avatar this a sequel give to people just what they want and they expect. 

Top Gun had its star back, who's also still a huge star, a lot more friendly to general audience, had phenomenal reception and well received trailers, on top of right release date. Too many stars aligned for it. And Avatar sequel had James Cameron, as well as the entire cast of the first one back.

22 hours ago, jeffthehat said:

Indiana

Joker 2 T-3 

Sales      Seats      Shows   
  1026      32440   177       

Comps

0.35x Beetlejuice 2 = $3.4m

0.65x IEWU = $4.4m

0.44x Dune 2 = $4.4m

0.65x Alien Romulus = $4.7m

AVG = $4.13m

... yikes