kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

5 hours ago, John Marston said:

nah. GvK may beat Skull Island but it ain’t touching Godzilla 2014’s 93M opening 

Agreed. I think low 60s for the OW looks possible right now, but for 93M+, it would need a hell of a final presales push and also extremely good walk-ups. I dont see that happening to this degree.

• Like 1

This will be my first Godzilla/Kong film in the cinema since Skull Island. King of Monsters was a plane watch on the way to Vegas and the last one was a Covid digital download. 

I’m not feeling much hype for this one but presales certainly suggest otherwise. 

I think the Monsterverse movies have gotten progressively worse with each movie. I liked Godzilla (2014) despite very few Godzilla in it. I thought Skull Island was good, then King of the Monsters was meh and Godzilla vs Kong was pretty bad. This new movie doesn't look any better but I hope it does good at the Box Office.

• Thanks 2

I don't understand this nonsense of gloom that 2024 is behind 2023 and will end that way.

This year will have strikes asterisks like it or not. Are you telling me you were expecting Night Swim to do M3GAN numbers? Barely promoted, much worse and completely generic looking.

"Ohhh but in 2014 it would make more". Right, in 2014. It's not anymore. Audiences have more options and are more picky on their choices. Just accept that we are in a much different reality.

Were you expecting Madame Web to make up for Quantumania? The embarrassing product that is Argylle? Today, that's a streaming movie that Netflix throws out. And it's terrible. Did you actually take a look at the January-February schedule ? The Beekeeper did very well. Bob Marley did well. Mean Girls did well enough for its reception. March is also suffering because the holdovers are just almost non existent.

Yes audiences changed. They don't go to the theaters anymore just for the sake of it. The way they choose movies changed. The way they feel about certain genres changed. This all feels very logical to me. If you can't accept this new reality, please create a thread called NOSTALGIC TIMES or the "GOOD OL DAYS"  or whatever and dump your feelings there because I find it very pointless to retread the same stuff over and over. I'm trying to read this stuff bro. 

• Like 2

"Big creature destroys stuff" is a movie concept that's both a pretty easy sell to audiences across all demos and still has some novelty to it, in that we only get them every year or two instead of 3-5 a year the way we have with superhero movies. It's mostly Godzilla, Kong, and the Jurassic movies. There was some decline going on over the 2010s, but most people liked GvK (91% verified score on RT), and I think people remember it fondly if simply because it was the first post-vaccine movie for many of them. We've also already had two sequels to 2021 same-day VOD/theatrical releases (PAW Patrol 2, Dune 2) and both easily out-opened their predecessors by 70-100% - and those movies both opened when seating restrictions and most other COVID protocols had been lifted, which as not the case when GvK opened. So I think a massive increase from that movie's opening makes perfect sense.

I saw Ghostbusters yesterday. It was my son's birthday party, so we had a big group of kids.

The movie served it's purpose, as everyone seemed entertained enough, but this was such a weak script. Just way too many characters to feel anything for any particular one of them. And despite a lot of funny people, just not funny enough.

That said, I was happy to at least have a decent age appropriate option to do a movie party.  

• Like 5

After all the whining about "superhero fatigue" or whatever it's worth noting that crap hero films actually do fail regularly. People acting like Madame Web means the genre is doomed are forgetting turds like The Spirit, Catwoman, Bloodshot, Green Lantern...there's a LONG list.

• Like 2

Last week Friday to Saturday for kfp4 increase 44% because of spring break

This Friday to Saturday increase is like 80%

hopefully Sunday drop won’t be that bad and it can get to 17 million, would need 5.4 million Sunday.

better than 14.5 million weekend deadline projected 

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

By my count GB should be $16.9-17M SAT but if Sony sticks to $16M FRI est, it should be $17.5M SAT. With that, it may hit $45M+.

The power of the backloading $5 tickets...

Which makes sense, b/c if it's $5 whether you go Saturday night or Thursday night, why not go Saturday night...

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

By my count GB should be $16.9-17M SAT but if Sony sticks to $16M FRI est, it should be $17.5M SAT. With that, it may hit $45M+.

I'm shocked it's set to do that well to be honest. Between Afterlife coming and going without much of a trace, the mediocre presales and the poor reviews, this was poised to be this year's Shazam 2. That it managed to overcome those suggests that maybe there is still a future for this franchise. This one will likely be less profitable than Afterlife since it has lesser word of mouth and a bigger budget, so another live action movie might not be certain, but at least that animated movie in the works could do fairly well if it's any good.

36 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Here comes Ghostbusters 5. Possibly as soon as 2026.

If you are studio head and you see what's making money Dune 2, Panda 4, Ghostbusters 5 and soon another Godzilla Kong movie....you have to be typing up an email asking for more sequels of known IPs.  Doesn't seem like audiences are changing what they like.....they like being feed the same thing....like going to McDonalds everyday for lunch....you know exactly what you are getting for your money.  

My Ghostbusters showing yesterday was PACKED with families (as I predicted earlier based on what it was like seeing the previous two entries in the series on their OWs). That's clearly the main demo for the franchise at this point.

• Like 1

Just saw ghostbusters ethics numbers 

48% white 

27% Hispanic 

12% black 

8% Asian 

much different than kung fu panda 4 one opening weekend , ghost busters more leaning white families

i think the legs will be decent 

• Like 1