ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

10 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

THAT’S what Superman is following. No is gonna watch Supergirl. The Authority, Puppet Robins, and Bane/Deathstroke are gonna sell negative tickets. Literal donor organs don’t need to be put on ice as much as this franchise.

This lineup is so wild. Marvel showed that you can be successful with a simple formula of launching 3-4 solo movies and then teaming those characters up in one big movie. The fun of a team up without drowning your audience in a million different franchises to follow. But now not even Marvel wants to do that formula! And the DCU is here basically skipping to Phase 4 with a million projects between animated and live action shows, team up movies for obscure villains, an animated puppet movie (?!) and even the threat of DCU video games. A sane person would just launch Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman (though this part is complicated by the Reeves stuff) movies and then team them up.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I had a really shitty time lately with life, but reading this thread and watching some reviews of Joker 2 gave me some reassurance and a new, uplifting outlook on life that no matter how crap your life is right now, you are at least not the person unfortunate enough to tell Zaslav how Joker 2 is doing this weekend.

You know somebody is gonna make a "Hitler rant from Downfall" edit out of this, if you know what I mean.

4 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

This lineup is so wild. Marvel showed that you can be successful with a simple formula of launching 3-4 solo movies and then teaming those characters up in one big movie. The fun of a team up without drowning your audience in a million different franchises to follow. But now not even Marvel wants to do that formula! And the DCU is here basically skipping to Phase 4 with a million projects between animated and live action shows, team up movies for obscure villains, an animated puppet movie (?!) and even the threat of DCU video games. A sane person would just launch Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman (though this part is complicated by the Reeves stuff) movies and then team them up.

Gal Gadot’s Woman is too popular even if WW84 was a mess, they already have successful Batman, Green Lantern is finally coming out superhero jail but as a TV show, The Flash just bombed, Aquaman just flopped, etc. The Justice League is a mess.

Which is why franchises get put on ice…unless you need a slideshow for shareholders before you sell the company and let it become someone else’s problem.

From the creative aspect, I trust Gunn in whatever his vision is, but from a comercial point of view... it's crazy that Warner Bros gave the green light to The Authority or the Swamp Thing unless the budget is veeryyy low. 

Edited by Mickiland16
  • Like 1

Maybe DC should stick to one and done live-action movies. Their track record when trying to sequelize has been quite disastrous in the last ten years or so.

Is Joker 2 the R-rated Alice Through The Looking Glass (with regards to box office decline from the first movie)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Who's on everyone's movie villain Mt. Rushmore? 

Does the Joker make every list?

Darth Vader, Thanos, Voldemort, Sauron for me - but it’s kinda impossible with just 4 in all of history of cinema. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

A year is generous. They need a 20+ year hiatus. Stick to making solo DC animation projects and tv series.

That seems pretty extreme. Like...20 years is a long time.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Tbf marvel is kinda staring to distancing themselves with connectivity with tv, animation and movies with them the specifically having the shows under marvel television and marvel animation while movies being studios. I think they have learned their lesson. Ofc there will be some connectivity but it seems to be very played down going forward and more relaxed than before. I’m a little worried with all the DCU news. It’s kinda chaotic at least from the outside view. I just hope Gunn sticks to the we won’t make anything before its ready and good because the genre can’t take any more bad reception from marvel or dc

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Mufasa is going to shock a lot of people. $1.5B-$2B incoming 

I Don’t understand why so many people believe it’ll flop.

first trailer had a terrible reception having more dislikes than likes, but the second trailer had a solid reception.

52 minutes ago, YM! said:

It’s wild how Batgirl would’ve killed DC, when they made what’s looking to be the worst received CBM in almost a decade and the year before that, the film that killed the DCEU.

it is crazy to say but Madame Web had a way better audience reception than Joker current has. And Madame Web  itself had already had a worse reception than Morbius.

If Gunn's Superman gets rejected and the character is shelved an indeterminate amount of time, at least I'll always have Superman and Lois as the best modern live action Superman project and best portrayal of the character since Reeve. 

Edited by GambitPool
added a word
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

I said it in the Superman thread but DC needs to be mercy killed:

Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, The Batman, Black Adam, Shazam: Fury of the Gods, The Flash, Blue Beetle, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, Joker: Folie a Deux. Just one success in that entire list that spans four years.

THAT’S what Superman is following. No is gonna watch Supergirl. The Authority, Puppet Robins, and Bane/Deathstroke are gonna sell negative tickets. Literal donor organs don’t need to be put on ice as much as this franchise.

Supergirl, The Authority, Brave and Bold, Swamp thing are guaranteed box office disasters. Even the Marvel name tag couldn't save those projects. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, leoh said:

I Don’t understand why so many people believe it’ll flop.

first trailer had a terrible reception having more dislikes than likes, but the second trailer had a solid reception.

I think it's because Lion king 2019 was a soulless remake. But creative decisions aside, I think the Lion King IP is so strong and will play crazy during Christmas. Sky is the limit if WOM is there 

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Supergirl, The Authority, Brave and Bold, Swamp thing are guaranteed box office disasters. Even the Marvel name tag couldn't save those projects. 

Brave and the Bold is a Batman film though.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Mt Rushmore of Movie Villains:

Darth Vader, Joker, Hannibal Lecter,  Dinosaurs (Jurassic Series)

Yeah I know dinosaurs is kind of cheating but coming up with the last one was hard. :hahaha:

Feel like it's sacrilegious to have a Movie Villain Mt. Rushmore and not have a Disney Villain in there. Just choose the one you like the most I guess.