ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

3 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

What a match from Punk and Drew. 

I might be in the minority, but I really like when wrestling looks sloppy and like it fucking hurts. Because it should. It should look like it hurts. And all of that looked like it was just pain after pain after pain. There are a couple spots, with the table and the steel steps that I recoiled at. 

deeply obsessed with grown men fighting over friendship bracelets.

• Like 1

Wakanda Forever did fine but it still generated a lot of interest from wanting to see how Chadwick Boseman's death would be handled, and its legs were pretty average considering it had 5 weeks of no competition. Black Panther 3 should do decently but will definitely decrease from WF. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

People on here talked about Wakanda Forever’s drop from BP like it was so huge. Well, after Marvels and Joker 2, it looks pretty damn good to open that big without the lead from the first film.

Do people still say that? To my eyes at least a 50% drop in actual tickets sold looked bad in 2022 if you hadn't just accepted a significantly lower theater going baseline. Simply factoring that in would have undercut negative assessments of the film's opening.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was terrible to see her die but it was supported by plot and characterization.

What I loathed were people shipping Shuri and Namor.  That was over the second he murdered her MOM.  No. No. No. Bad shippers!

Excuse me, what?

17 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Excuse me, what?

Oh this was a very real and very aggravating thing. It felt like it was the majority of the conversation I was seeing about the film online in my spaces unfortunately, the shipping and the just as heated "what the fuck is wrong with you people" responses. Something something, certain people incapable of connecting with or engaging with a narrative about black women without being able to self insert in some fashion. And general some people can't engage in anything without shipping no matter how nonsensical it is narratively. 

Edited by wattage

10 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

190 mil could do a lot of good in the world (or the film industry) other than making a shitty forced Joker sequel.

"I read these stories, and it seems like they're on the side of the multinational corporations. They're like, 'Why does it cost so much?' They sound like studio executives. Shouldn't people be happy that we got this money out of them, and we used it to go hire a bunch of crew people who can then feed their families?" -Todd Philips

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, XXRDJisDoctorDoom said:

Catch me up if I'm missing anything but now we're at like $37M DOM OW + $65-70M OS OW? I assume legs will be terrible based on all of the reception metrics I've seen, so maybe something like $65-75M DOM + $120-140M OS? A number I truly could not have imagined 6 months ago. 

Animated GIF

$35M --> $57.5M

$70M --> $125M

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

"I read these stories, and it seems like they're on the side of the multinational corporations. They're like, 'Why does it cost so much?' They sound like studio executives. Shouldn't people be happy that we got this money out of them, and we used it to go hire a bunch of crew people who can then feed their families?" -Todd Philips

Phillips acting like he's Robin Hood after taking $20m off the top. 

Sure it's great if crews get paid but not so great when movies bomb then the studio lays off a bunch of other people. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Yeah it would be great if he was using that money on a lot of extra crew or giving them some extra money and not what likely happened which is him mismanaging funds like crazy. 

• Like 1

Todd Phillips doesn't seem like a real great person but I do sympathize with the broader sentiments of that quote. I am pretty sick of how budgets drive movie discourse myself. That money doesn't just disappear, it is still funding some kind of business even if it drags Warner down.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Wakanda Forever did fine but it still generated a lot of interest from wanting to see how Chadwick Boseman's death would be handled, and its legs were pretty average considering it had 5 weeks of no competition. Black Panther 3 should do decently but will definitely decrease from WF. 

Sure $453M is still VERY HIGH for a normal standalone MCU film, so third one dropping feels natural unless the quality vastly improves.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It was terrible to see her die but it was supported by plot and characterization.

What I loathed were people shipping Shuri and Namor.  That was over the second he murdered her MOM.  No. No. No. Bad shippers!

Enemies to lovers >>>>>

• Disbelief 2