Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

9 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Half Blood Prince

Film was finished and only delayed because WB needed a summer tentpole with the writer's strike.

That entire summer was tentpoles that were delayed months (Star Trek, Half Blood Prince) and absolute garbage that was rushed into production (Transformers 2, Wolverine Origins, Terminator: Christian Bale)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chewy said:

Even the hardest of hardcore fans have gotta know this is bad

8 hours ago, DAR said:

They should

Meh, almost every blockbuster for some time now has technically been about superheroes anyway. If GotG counts as superhero, then shouldn't Jedi starring SW too? If The Incredibles count, then shouldn't Despicable Me count too? These Silver and Black and Black Widow features if they ever see the light of day don't seem that different from something like Lucy or Red Sparrow. If I didn't know better and someone told me that stuff like TMNT, Transformers, Power Rangers etc. were Marvel or DC franchises, I would have believed them. Jumanji featuring characters with multiple lives is comic book-y as well, complete with throwaway, stick figure villain and an Infinity Stone like MacGuffin jewel.

Don't see what the big deal is. The same tropes found in CBM's are already rampant in other blockbusters too.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Tonight I was able to speak with someone with direct knowledge of the post-production of the movie and the reshoots are not to make it scarier. While audiences responded “okay” to the recent tests, one person involved with the X-Men movie franchise is completely not happy with the movie at all, and the reshoots are meant to lighten the tone of what is said to be a “very very dark (tonally)” movie.

http://manabyte.com/2018/01/the-reshoots-for-the-new-mutants-arent-to-add-more-horror/

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

In a way, The New Mutants has potential to be even more disturbing than Logan.

Spoiler

In the comics, Anya Taylor Joy's character is a victim of child rape. Similar to Split but the perpetrator here is a demonic figure. The teaser kind of hinted at her backstory in a couple of shots. Blu Hunt's character's powers can manifest everybody's worst fears, so it would have leaned into psychological horror as well. Maisie Williams' character's mom is basically Carrie White's mother, a deeply religious woman who shames her daughter over her mutant powers, so it would have involved some critique against religion as well.

In a way, it's understandable if someone chickened out and thought these themes are too much for an X-Men related film, despite Deadpool and Logan's successes. But if true, it's stupid that they panicked now instead of having taken care of this in the scripting phase itself.  

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Fant4stic. Josh Trank. Josh Boone. Remember Josh Boone at one point of time was Twitter buddies with Trank and I am sure got some inspiration from concept arts and stuff that Trank must have made for F4. 

Large portions of Fant4stic was reshot without the director's involvement but due to lack of time to complete the movie, they just hacked it to pieces and turned it into a giant mess. Should have just left it as it was. A 125+ minute sci-fi/body horror movie with some action, which frankly was better shot than what ended up in the movie. 

This movie is facing same problem now except it has more than 1 year to reshoot and complete the movie. In the end, it will turn out fine, but yeah I am expecting them to amp up the action part and lighten some moments or add some comedy. I wonder if Disney and Kevin saw this and was like....WoAh...need to tone down big time...if you want to keep this franchise going in Disney. Simon wants to be part of Disney/MCU going forward so yeah...

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

I'm betting the significant person in the X-franchise they're referring to is Lauren Shuler-Donner.

38 minutes ago, Hades said:

The kiddie Disney/MCU influence better stay the hell away from this film. :kitschjob:

Disney isn't involved in this stuff at all, yet.  This is all on FOX and its producers. 

20 hours ago, That One Guy said:

This day honestly can't get worse for the X-Men movies.

-Gore Verbinski leaves Gambit

-New Mutants gets pushed back 10 FUCKING MONTHS

Jesus christ.

:whosad:

As a fan I feel like there's nothing else to say, really.

I am sadness.

• Sad 1

The “It” comparison is actually a very good one in this case. If you look at that movie, it was scary but the overall done wasn’t depressingly dark. People didn’t leave the movie wanting to slit their wrists, instead they wanted to see Part 2. 

:hahaha:

Edited by Valonqar