CJohn

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension | Oct 23, 2015 | Regal Cinemas and Cinemark to boycott the movie | 1350 Estimated TC

So am I understanding that this is going to be released on very limited screens, but also be shown on Video ON Demand??? Hell, I'll take that option.. Pay $6.00 to watch it as opposed to shelling out $10.00..

It's going to be out on VOD a month after it opens. That's why the chains are boycotting it.

"In Select Theaters" makes it sound like they carefully selected which theaters need to get this movie like the makers of The Green Inferno did.

The demand for PA has dropped dramatically in the UK. PA4 got 2 screens on opening weekend at my local 6 screen, we aren't even getting the new one at all.

It dropped everywhere. The franchise is dead. But I am sure they will reboot it at some point.

Why exactly are theatres boycotting this?

Because the film is getting an early VOD release. Not a day one VOD release, not even a VOD release while it's in cinemas, but it is being released online two weeks after it leaves cinemas. So some cinemas are boycotting it as they don't want to support the notion of on demand releases moving slightly earlier.

• Like 1

This theater boycott makes no sense. Were the theater chains expecting this movie to have a majorly leggy run or something? Most horror movies make almost 50% of their final total on OW, by the time it gets below 300 theaters, it will have made 95% or more of its final total and 3 weeks later when it comes on VOD, no one will actually be seeking it out in theaters anyway.

• Like 2

This theater boycott makes no sense. Were the theater chains expecting this movie to have a majorly leggy run or something? Most horror movies make almost 50% of their final total on OW, by the time it gets below 300 theaters, it will have made 95% or more of its final total and 3 weeks later when it comes on VOD, no one will actually be seeking it out in theaters anyway.

The early window for VOD though means many of those that would go out the first 2 weeks will just wait another two weeks and see it on VOD.  

• Like 2

I think horror, as a genre, will soon be a VOD release only genre. Its probably more financially smart to release it this way.

I'm not convinced. They can still be made on a very small budget and earn a lot of money. If a movie grosses 30M in wide release, that isn't usually very impressive. When it was made for a couple million $, it's actually pretty great.

Horror films will continue to attract teen audiences to the cinema. Teens come out for every single piece of garbage horror film that gets shoved in their face. 

• Like 1