Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

8 minutes ago, Coldbird said:

Its niche compared to marvel, nintendo or DC, but not to the most other movies coming out, like Dungeons and Dragons franchise is a lot bigger than Avatar the franchise (was).

It's big in terms of number of products (games, toys etc), but if your IP is huge, you don't have to beg people to see it, people just go and watch it.

5 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Avatar is a vastly bigger franchise as far as "movies people will spend 12 bucks to see at a theatre".

In those terms, it's bigger even than MCU.

All of 2 films in 14 years, out of which 1 couldn't beat Endgame, is not a bigger franchise than the MCU.

Not yet anyway.

Most fun I have had at a movie inquite a while.

It  might just make it;s saving roll at the box office after all.

Ann it was very good at making in jokes and references for the D an D players without lietting the non D and Ders feel left out.One Example:...

Spoiler

Almost all of  the major lcoations in the movie Neverwinter, Baldur's Gete,Icewind Dale. were the titles and settings  of D and D computer games. I  hate toh inks of the hours I wasted playhing "Neverwinter Nights'

The production desing was laos quite good, I was really worried about their overdoing the Trifling  (Half Human,Half Demon) but it nailed it.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

All of 2 films in 14 years, out of which 1 couldn't beat Endgame, is not a bigger franchise than the MCU.

Not yet anyway.

I mean, this isn´t totally fair to brag about, EG did nearly 700M in China + Russia while A2 face awful situation on China and ended up with only 250M [still amazing all this considered], and no Russia release

We´ll never know for sure but there is a strong point to be made that it would probably surpassed EG with a normal China market place [and Russia]

Probably not by much tho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, this isn´t totally fair to brag about, EG did nearly 700M in China + Russia while A2 face awful situation on China and ended up with only 250M [still amazing all this considered], and no Russia release

We´ll never know for sure but there is a strong point to be made that it would probably surpassed EG with a normal China market place [and Russia]

Probably not by much tho

Not clear that it would have based on A2's performance in other markets in the region. 

can we PLEASE not have a marvel vs avatar discussion in a thread about the D&D movie? Seriously who started that shit

Anyway, this was a banging movie! I absolutely loved it

There's so much good here, and a few small negatives (the pacing is frenetic), but the action scenes are delightful, especially the one-take chase. The druid and her wild shape shenanigans are really something! It's a fun movie, it has heart, it's exciting, and even some emotion.

Strong recommend from me. I hope it does well

• Like 7

This didn’t work for me unfortunately, it felt like it was trapped in a weird middle ground where it wasn’t funny enough for me to really laugh at but not serious enough for me to take any of it seriously so it just created a weird disconnect for me. I’m guessing they didn’t want to go too silly with it and risk pissing off the fans. 

The scene with Chris Pine “glitching” did make me laugh though (and Chris Pine in general was great), I just wish there were more laugh out loud moments like that, the rest of the humour just fell really flat for me.

My girlfriend liked it though, but she was brought up by a D&D playing Dad, so it worked for her as she got the references, so I guess your mileage may vary based on your exposure to playing it.

Hmm. Back-to-back releases (after JW4) where I think I was slightly disappointed due to the anticipation built up by the reviews/WOM. Again, just like Wick, definitely enjoyable and good fun, but I think I was expecting more. The first act is quite a slog and even when it kicks in, it's not quite clicking for me the way I thought it would after hearing it's quite funny. I found most of the jokes either didn't land or the good ones had been in the trailer. I did chuckle 3-4 times, and smiled a few others, but again, I think I was just anticipating something more?

Still though, good fun, with pretty good pacing after the first act. Solid 7/10 for me, but I'm not quite convinced by its long-term legs and franchise potential just yet.

As much as I'd like to see this movie be successful, its looking more and more like this will be an epic bomb.

I checked my local theater and normally they would keep a few showings for a movie like this, but they are going all-in on Super Mario and literally every screen will be showing it starting from Thursday. I expected it to lose a bunch of screens but not literally everything. It's actually the first time I've seen my local theater do this. 

I think it will be extremely hard for this movie to stabilize, which is a real shame.

Edited by AGlitchGnome
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, AGlitchGnome said:

As much as I'd like to see this movie be successful, its looking more and more like this will be an epic bomb.

I checked my local theater and normally they would keep a few showings for a movie like this, but they are going all-in on Super Mario and literally every screen will be showing it starting from Thursday. I expected it to lose a bunch of screens but not literally everything. It's actually the first time I've seen my local theater do this. 

I think it will be extremely hard for this movie to stabilize, which is a real shame.

Agreed. I WANT this movie to pull out the unlikely win, and the WoM is just good enough that, given perfect circumstances it might have done it. If this was 2 months ago and its biggest upcoming competition was Knock at the Cabin, 80 for Brady, and Magic Mike's Last Dance, it might have stabilized early and overachieved with great legs.

But, A. 2 months ago Hasbro was in the midst of a HUGE fight with the D&D community and the marketing hadn't seriously started so it would have opened to like $9M, and B. It has the opposite of a perfect field as Super Mario launches this week and looks like an break-out hit.

I think "epic bomb" is over stating it, but I do think it peters out a little under $100M and is viewed as a disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Agreed. I WANT this movie to pull out the unlikely win, and the WoM is just good enough that, given perfect circumstances it might have done it. If this was 2 months ago and its biggest upcoming competition was Knock at the Cabin, 80 for Brady, and Magic Mike's Last Dance, it might have stabilized early and overachieved with great legs.

But, A. 2 months ago Hasbro was in the midst of a HUGE fight with the D&D community and the marketing hadn't seriously started so it would have opened to like $9M, and B. It has the opposite of a perfect field as Super Mario launches this week and looks like an break-out hit.

I think "epic bomb" is over stating it, but I do think it peters out a little under $100M and is viewed as a disappointment.

Yeah just hoping for $100m+ DOM at this point. Under would suck

International is just a complete let down. Hopefully it can have good legs but soo disappointing. I thought foreign markets were still down for Fantasy stuff, but guess they really just don't give a shit about DnD/thought it looked bad

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wrath said:

While I do think that a portion of the fanbase are boycotting the movie due to the OGL issue, I don't thinks its having as much of an effect on Box Office as people seems to believe. It definitely doesn't help with that kind of narrative leading up to release though. 

I think the main issue is just that the Trailers did not connect outside the dedicated DND fanbase and even that was spotty, with many saying it looked horribly bad.

In addition there was that whole interview with the directors about "emasculating men" which was completely hijacked by the anti-woke movement adding another layer of stink on top of the badly received trailers

This movie has just not been on the general movie goer's radar at all. I do wonder if this would have played better as a summer release as even though it was a packed schedule, I think they could have found a better slot as counterprogramming to some films and not have to go up against direct competition in Mario. 

if it makes "A little under" $100m domestic, its not making much more if any at all internationally. Any way you spin it, if it ends up around $200m worldwide with a $150m budget that's a pretty epic bomb imo.

My hope is that it stabilizes after Mario and has great holds for the remainder of the month. Will have to wait and see how the next couple weekends are.

• Like 3

While I agree the movie is a well-made fun movie unlike your typical dumb fun fantasy, the movie is still too generic. It is generic good movie but hardly memorable. That probably explain why the WOM is so positive but they can't do much to push the OW to higher level, simply because people aren't eager to talk about it. 

I was hoping to get more Rege-page but the movie prove that he is a bit oversold in the marketing. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 1:24 PM, Wrath said:

If it doesn't make 1x its production budget WW (so $151M), epic bomb is exactly what it is, even if we don't want it to be one...

Edited by TwoMisfits

This movie is an instant classic. 8.5 marks out of 10.

Just came out of the theatres. great pace, excellent action, good Runtime and well made overall, popular with GA and critics.

Edited by Halba