Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

it hit them with even greater  resonance than the first movie.”

that shouldn't be too hard :P 

yes just speaking on my experience and no one else's about the first one

How many movies are you shooting at a time?

Avatar 2 and 3 will be captured together and then [go through postproduction] sequentially. Then we go back and capture 4 and 5. They're all written and they're all designed, so we literally hit the ground running the day after Avatar 3 comes out, starting capture on 4 and 5 and then post on those and release those. That's the plan. So, it's kind of a two-and-two structure.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/james-cameron-doubles-down-wonder-woman-critique-details-avatar-sequels-1043026

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You've now set the releases for December 2020, 2021, 2024 and 2025. Do you feel like these are finally their real dates?

No, we're good. We got this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/james-cameron-doubles-down-wonder-woman-critique-details-avatar-sequels-1043026

So, release date won't change?

"Will there be a re-release of the first Avatar to pave the way for the sequels? That's a great idea. Any chance I get to re-release my films so that people can see them on the big screen, the way they are meant to be seen … I'll never say no. We can remaster the film, we can do high dynamic range, things like that, so we can punch it up."

AVATAR 2 THE FIRST MOVIE TO MAKE $3B WW

A2 floor is 4billion my friends

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

It's going to look gorgeous.

We've been working in the volume — we call it the volume, which is our working space — for months now, and everything looks gorgeous and spectacular and we have the best concept artists in the world. We have, I think, some of the best CG artists in the world. I couldn't be happier about the way everything looks.

So lets see, the cast is diverse af yet you can hear crickets in places where this is praised to sky every time Marvel or Lucas Film cast diverse extras at the bus station. Doubtful it's only because some or all of those kids are playing aliens. It's because they would have to say something nice about the movie they want to see fail. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So lets see, the cast is diverse af yet you can hear crickets in places where this is praised to sky every time Marvel or Lucas Film cast diverse extras at the bus station. Doubtful it's only because some or all of those kids are playing aliens. It's because they would have to say something nice about the movie they want to see fail. 

Diversity in motion capture part is rarely celebrated, no ? For any movie.

• Like 1

I didnt like the first one and i dont care about the sequels. But i have to admit a project like this - 4 sequels shot and produced in such a short time frame - just underlines Camerons ambition. I wont see Avatar 2-5 but i hope everyone who will see it enjoys it. No matter how the first sequel will fare - if it reaches the heights of/tops the first film or fails to do even 1 billion - the weekend thread is something i am already greatly anticipating :)

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Disney's PR machine is good. 

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Diversity in motion capture part is rarely celebrated, no ? For any movie.

It's still casting diverse actors and giving them exposure. They get resumes and do talk shows, magazine covers, etc. So it's a good thing but there's always going to be a negative spin for everything. I mean, if he cast only white kids as aliens, he'd be criticized for casting white kids. You know he would be. 

@marveldcfox very true. They know how to turn something that others have been doing for longer and better as the most groundbreaking thing ever cause Disney did it. Not gonna work with Captain Marvel, though. They can't spin it as OMG historical moment cause WW was that successful and iconic. They'll try but no cigar. I bet they didn't expect WW to be that acclaimed and received based on DC's fails.

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Hold on a bit. I got excited too but turns out all the kids are CGI Na'vi except for that one white boy in the blue shirt. GTFO Cameron :rofl:

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

It's still casting diverse actors and giving them exposure. They get resumes and do talk shows, magazine covers, etc. So it's a good thing but there's always going to be a negative spin for everything. I mean, if he cast only white kids as aliens, he'd be criticized for casting white kids. You know he would be. 

Yes they probably would (see Kubo, voice acting/motion capture can still be criticized), but that is not something specific to avatar (if they are motion capture actor), but something more generalized.

Suicide Squad very diverse cast is probably a better example of what you mean (we will need Avatar 2 release to judge is coverage)

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Hold on a bit. I got excited too but turns out all the kids are CGI Na'vi except for that one white boy in the blue shirt. GTFO Cameron :rofl:

White boy will become blue, don't worry. White Savior Jai WorthingCourtney became blue. That's subversion of the trope. :D

@Barnack Good point about SS. Disney/Marvel would have tapped themselves on the back over that and acted like saviors of the world. WB, OTOH, needs to work on self-promotion and brown-nosing fans. 

Edited by Valonqar

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I didnt like the first one and i dont care about the sequels. But i have to admit a project like this - 4 sequels shot and produced in such a short time frame - just underlines Camerons ambition. I wont see Avatar 2-5 but i hope everyone who will see it enjoys it. No matter how the first sequel will fare - if it reaches the heights of/tops the first film or fails to do even 1 billion - the weekend thread is something i am already greatly anticipating :)

Thank you for your kind words, see you at the Thursday preview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1