grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Deadline

After trickling out on 249 screens Tuesday and Wednesday, the Christopher Nolan-directed Interstellar grossed another $800K last night in those locales to bring what will be deemed the “preview” total up to $2.1M. Paramount will take the $2.7M in the non-film theaters and throw it into today’s grosses. So, in other words, the preview gross for the film will be about $2.1M and then the $2.7M gross from other theaters last night will be wrapped into the Friday gross, thereby boosting Friday’s numbers.

If estimates hold, the Thursday (non-preview) take would put the Matthew McConaughey-Anne Hathaway pic well ahead of Gravity, which did $1.4M in its Thursday run. Inception captured $3M in its Thursday run, while World War Z did $3.6M, but those were summer releases.

Haven't followed the BO in awhile. 

Only came to rant about Toy Story 4 mostly.

Also, technically haven't seen a movie since the Maze Runner but saw Interstellar. 

I don't think Interstellar is anywhere good enough in one viewing to compare with Inception and I don't think audiences will give it the legs of second chance. It is a commitment to watch and it's not exactly flawless, even if it is pretty damn good. I think it would be great if it opened to $55m and finished with $165m. Granted, my earlier prediction, 2-3 months ago, was $265m, lol, but I avoided all trailers and marketing material. The final product is not exactly as satisfying or rewarding for its length as Inception/Gravity/War of the Worlds etc. It kind of feels underwhelming. It treads the line between blockbuster and art and doesn't seem, after first viewing, to commit to either. 

Anyway, hoping that Big Hero Six is good, opens here next week, and besides that, in cinemas here only Mockingjay and Hobbit are left to watch until year's end. Slim pickings. 

There is nothing wrong with reviews as a guideline. I don't think anyone should use 1 review and determine what you watch or buy on that 1 review but if 50 reviews says something isn't very good then chances are its not very good (i'm talking in general, not about Interstellar).

• Like 4

Dont most of u use RT to judge a movie? But because this is Nolan and the film is not as well received as u thought it would..suddenly RT is useless?

RT has what IMO is one of the worst films of all time at 100% (Citizen Kane), and there have been opposite cases of rotten films that I have really enjoyed, so I'm not very concerned about it.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 4

Dont most of u use RT to judge a movie? But because this is Nolan and the film is not as well received as u thought it would..suddenly RT is useless?

I never just simply take RT as "a judge", it alone means little

Edited by rickfox
  • Like 1

To attempt to move the conversation back to numbers, I'd say the 2.7 for digital previews is good.  Interstellar is going to suffer from the fact that, due to its length, it will be hard for theaters to get in a ton of showings.  I know that at my local theater last night Big Hero 6 had around 5 or 6 preview screenings while Interstellar only had 4.  Still, all around these are good numbers to start with and I'm excited to see a weekend that delivers on its promise for both openers.

• Like 1

That is not a fair claim. BH6 is far more a kids movie than a comic book movie and its not based on a well known property. Interstellar has been hyped for months plus Nolan has a very loyal and rabid fanbase.

Agreed.  Primarily BH6 is a kids film.  It's not a surprise that it does less than Interstellar on a Thursday night.  Interstellar may even do better on Friday take, but I'm banking on a large Saturday boost for BH6 since it's a family film.

Wow, this thread got fun way quicker than I expected. Nolan. His power.

I would just love to see his reaction if he ever knew about the passion on both sides he brings out in the Internet.

And this thread...lol. Some people are just so touchy.

I thought we could get in maybe five pages of box office talk before the shit-slinging, but nope.

We should have known by now the pile of tinder this forum sits upon. Nolan films guarantee immediate sparks.

• Like 1

$1.4 million seems like a really good number for Big Hero 6.

The only thing that might skew it's comparison to other recent animated openings is that this has the Marvel brand attached to it (in a very small way), and that might draw out some crowd to previews. So it might not get the same Thursday-to-weekend multiplier that other animated flicks have gotten recently.

• Like 1